Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weakest Link

Bookmark and Share

Weakest Link

Now that the boys have been in camp for a little while and our first preseason game is around the corner:

Before seeing them line up against another team (I plan on asking the same question after the preseason as well), what do you see as our weakest link?

For me it's:
    1. O line
    2. Everything on special teams except Reed
    3. Corners

1. The O line has dissapointed me in recent years and I don't care how good (or not good) Faneca is/was, one Pro Bowler does complete a line. Starks has his moments, but him making the kind of money he does is just ridiculous. And we need another excellent center to add to the list (Webster, Dawson, Hartings). Ben needs more protection and our backs need holes.
    2. If Reed has another year like last year, kicking will be the only place that's solid. Coverage, returning, and ball handling has been abysmal in recent years and now that Sepulveda is injured, we're possibly in deep.
    3. I'm very happy with our safeties, but the other half of the defensive backfield is lackluster at best. They have their moments, but I don't see this group as capable of game-changing moments. It seems we haven't done enough in the past two drafts/free agency periods to pick up or groom a shutdown corner.

Throw in your
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

Our O-line indeed is weaker with Faneca gone, but u never know they may rise above expectations. cross your fingers. We just picked up drummond to return teh ball and he;s quick so he's definately a step up from rossum. I like our corners. Ike and Deshea both have speed, and hops. They may not amke game changing plays because they arent good at catching, but they do enough to knock the ball down which is what we need. This doesnt mean much but still Madden 09 gave them each an 89 overall.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Faneca isn't the main problem with the OL, he wasn't last year either. Yes he was one of the best guards in the league for a long time but Center is the main concern now; nobody seems to be taking charge right out of the gate. You can't just win the job by default, like Mahan did last year or it's a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by 25MVPKing View Post
    Now that the boys have been in camp for a little while and our first preseason game is around the corner:

Before seeing them line up against another team (I plan on asking the same question after the preseason as well), what do you see as our weakest link?

For me it's:
    1. O line
    2. Everything on special teams except Reed
    3. Corners

1. The O line has dissapointed me in recent years and I don't care how good (or not good) Faneca is/was, one Pro Bowler does complete a line. Starks has his moments, but him making the kind of money he does is just ridiculous. And we need another excellent center to add to the list (Webster, Dawson, Hartings). Ben needs more protection and our backs need holes.
    2. If Reed has another year like last year, kicking will be the only place that's solid. Coverage, returning, and ball handling has been abysmal in recent years and now that Sepulveda is injured, we're possibly in deep.
    3. I'm very happy with our safeties, but the other half of the defensive backfield is lackluster at best. They have their moments, but I don't see this group as capable of game-changing moments. It seems we haven't done enough in the past two drafts/free agency periods to pick up or groom a shutdown corner.

Throw in your
    how can you be happy with our safeties? they are far and above the weakness in the secondary which is actually very solid. Polamalu is ****ing garbage and you hating on the corners is a direct relation to troy never doing his job, he will be hurt all year long and will not perform anywhere near where we need him to but he will still be the highest paid safety in the league. The oline can run block thats never been an issue we do have a huge hole at center which is a problem we are pretty solid everywhere else. And i hate the talks about corners.....first of all you dont just groom a shut down corner, second we dont need one in our defesne our corners are very good for what we ask them to do and ike doesnt give up very much while still being spectacular in run support. We have 4 weak links....special teams, center, brett keisel and troy polamalu

Steel City Mafia # 632
    It's a little too early to determine what our weak links are..we've all beaten the Oline to death, so they'll definately be under the microscope this preseason.But you never know, if those guys come into there own then we'll all be eating crow for Thanksgiving.Let's see how the next 4 weeks pan out then we'll know exactly where we need work.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    If I had to narrow it down to one weakness that bothers me the most, it would be center. That's the anchor of the line (supposed to be) and when the center doesn't play well, it affects the entire line.

LaRon Landry is the highest paid safety in the league, btw.

Biggest weak link is defensive line, especially the uber duo of Nick Eason and Travis Kirshke. They are good for nothing and are completely worthless. They can't rush the passer, nor can they stop the run. If Ryan McBean fails again, we will be in serious doo doo.
    Last edited by steelcityrockers; 08-04-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    how can you be happy with our safeties? they are far and above the weakness in the secondary which is actually very solid. Polamalu is ****ing garbage and you hating on the corners is a direct relation to troy never doing his job, he will be hurt all year long and will not perform anywhere near where we need him to but he will still be the highest paid safety in the league. The oline can run block thats never been an issue we do have a huge hole at center which is a problem we are pretty solid everywhere else. And i hate the talks about corners.....first of all you dont just groom a shut down corner, second we dont need one in our defesne our corners are very good for what we ask them to do and ike doesnt give up very much while still being spectacular in run support. We have 4 weak links....special teams, center, brett keisel and troy polamalu
    I was thinking, what if we traded Troy for a first round pick and somehow ended up with an elite center like that dude from oklahoma I believe and also picking up Taylor Mays from USC, the dude seems like an absolute monster he's 6'4 225 and he's playing safety. I dont know but I would love to get a bad *** lineman or two also.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    how can you be happy with our safeties?
    Troy is pretty darn good when he's healthy (which, granted, isn't often enough). I certainly see him as a pass rusher more than a run stopper or cover man. From what I've seen he's very good at least buzzing around like a bee and distracting many QBs. That won't do much for Manning or Brady, but that gives us an edge up against at least 75% of starting QBs.

I'm giving the other side the benefit of doubt going into this season. Smith/Clark seem to hold their own out there. I certainly feel they're more productive than the corners. Given the choice, I'd rather see 3 safeties in our backfield than 3 corners based on their performance in recent years. I don't need a HOFer at the corner position, but an occassional pro-bowler would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the spirited discussion!
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Troy hasn't been distracting many QB's lately...lol He has been very ineffective to say the least...Him buzzing around and missing tackles isn't good...lol He misses a tackle for everyone he makes anymore....

Plus I have do it again for the hundredth time.....Troy's last INT was October 22, 2006 against the Atlanta Falcons....Last sack was November 19, 2006.....

Sure injuries have played a part....But Hines Ward hasn't been 100 percent healthy the last few years and he still produces some what....He hasn't totally disappeared like Troy has...lol

But I have to come clean....I never wanted Troy in the first place...He did win me over in 2004 and 2005.....I also supported the Rooney's decision to resign since I was hoping his sub-par 2006 was just a fluke...Well 2007 was worse....Now I don't think he will ever be the player he was in 04/05...Hopefully I'm wrong since he is getting paid a ton...lol

There has only been a few first round picks that I didn't want at all through the years....I only really started watching and following the draft since the mid 90s....So I don't go back that far.....But Troy Edwards, Troy Polamalu, and Lawrence Timmons were first round picks that I was against....I never be over the Troy Edwards pick...lol....I started to come around with Timmons....Can't really judge him last year......Hope he stays healthy and shows why he was the 15th pick overall last year....I think he will......

To answer Steve's question...Noway the Steelers will get that kind of value for Troy now....

Thread Information