Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russell Best Goal Line Back???

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Russell Best Goal Line Back???

LATROBE – Steelers coach Mike Tomlin went into Sunday evening’s goal-line session looking for a short-yardage runner.
    He’s still looking.

First-round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall was stuffed on three carries by the first-team defense and Tomlin criticized the rookie.

“He’s got to run harder, not over-analyze, understand what that drill’s about. It’s about hitting downhill,” said Tomlin. “Hopefully next time out he’ll be better.”

While Tomlin said he’ll give Willie Parker a chance to be the short-yardage back. But Parker didn't get a chance since Tomlin wanted to take a good look at his prize rookie. But, just like last year, the best short-yardage runner in the goal-line drill was Gary Russell, the undrafted 21-year-old who had only seven carries last season for 21 yards. Russell was stopped by the first-team defense on the third snap of the drill, but his second effort got him close. On the next snap, running behind Justin Hartwig and the rest of the second-team line (against the second-team defense), Russell went right and plowed easily into paydirt.

He’s added 10 pounds to his listed weight of 215, so Russell’s built for the job. He once scored 29 touchdowns as a prep senior in Columbus, Ohio, and was the goal-line runner at the University of Minnesota, where he rushed for 18 touchdowns his last season there.

“I’ve always been bigger than everybody else,” he said. “That’s how I learned to run downhill.”

Tomlin noticed. “He doesn’t overanalyze,” he said of Russell. “He gets his pads down and he finishes downhill. He adds value in that regard.”

It’s one of the reasons Russell made the team as an undrafted rookie last year. Perhaps Tomlin won’t fear his inexperience this year.

With the added 10 pounds, Russell is 5'11 225lbs.
    Mendenhall is 5'10 224lbs. So their physiques are very similar.
    I don't know how their speed compares to each other but from a power aspect they are close. I would like to see Russell get some more carries this season. We may actually have 3 feature backs in this offense if Russell was given a chance.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Russel was looking great out there yesterday; he was hitting the holes hard and breaking tackles and still had good speed. He's definitely got some potential and with Mendenhall we have some good size and power back in our running game to compliment FWP.

I would love to see 3 strong backs this year. It's hard to see them get lots of playing time, but I'm still a big fan of depth at the position. Especially for the Steelers where you can use 3 guys on a 15 play, 90 yard drive full of rushes.

I hope Mendenhall gets it together on the practice field. Mike Hart showed last night against the 'skins that you can have success in the early stages of the preseason. And of course there's Adrian Peterson from last year's regular season...
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

Alot of people forget this dude ran for almost 1200 yds and 20 tds in 05 splitting time w/ Maroney at Minnesota. Academic In-eligibility in his final year is what kept him from being drafted. He definately has the talent and physical make up to be a factor on this team. For right now he is and has been our best short yardage back. The more carries he gets the more effective he will be this season.

What also kept him from being drafted was being out of shape at the Combine and running a 4.7 or something. I do like the depth at running back, one of the few postions where a committee is not necessarily a bad thing.

ok their physiques are not similar at all, russell is kinda round and mendenhall is kinda jacked....he might be a good goal line runner but to say hes the best after one goal line drill, the first full contact one of camp is kinda dumb

Its great to have so much depth at this position. If one goes down, we still have 2 great backs left. Sounds like Tomlin really likes Russell with the short yardage plays. Works for me as long as he gets the job done!

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    ok their physiques are not similar at all, russell is kinda round and mendenhall is kinda jacked....he might be a good goal line runner but to say hes the best after one goal line drill, the first full contact one of camp is kinda dumb
    Whos better K? Will Russell be the best at the end of camp?? I hope not, hopefully Mendenhall cements himself in that position. But going into this preseason i kinda have to think Russell is our best option. Im not willing don Mende the god of all RB's in preseason like most people here. He's gotta prove he can play on this level first. I hope he's the next LT and parker takes a backseat to him, but thats no sure thing!

russell is a baller, ive said that since day one....but dont get down on mendy after one goal line drill thats ****ing stupid...i cant believe were having this conversation, this is just like saying timmons is a bust after one injury, only dumber because it was one practice against a beast of a defense. If mendenhall got in every carry i would consider that a problem because our defense is great

PITTSBURGH PRIDE! STEEL CITY TANK's Avatar
    We got alot of depth at RB Parker, Mendenhall, Russell, and Moore.........each player will add something to the offense if given a chance....1-2 punch with Parker and Mendenhall, 3rd downs with Russell or Moore...

Thread Information