Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily training camp updates...

Bookmark and Share
    Steel City Mafia # 632

Daily training camp updates...

Latrobe, Pa. - Ben Roethlisberger might not have been pleased with the performance of the offense in their first practice of training camp, but head coach Mike Tomlin was happy at the end of the first day.

“We had a very productive start,” said Tomlin. “I think the excellent condition of the football team showed up. I liked the way the guys ran on both sides of the ball. I liked the way they finished. That’s always a great start.

“It’s far from perfection, but that is what day one is about. There was great enthusiasm, great communication. Guys were verbal today. Overall there was good hustle.”

Tomlin understands why some of the players were a bit frustrated with how things went on day one, but he said that is natural at the start of camp and isn’t anything to worry about.

“At this time of year you are always going to be less than satisfied with your performance,” said Tomlin. “If you were ready to go this wouldn’t be a necessity. We are not going to be perfect and some of the things that we stressed today did not have to deal with perfection. It was about communicating, it was about hustling and it was about finishing.

“I was pleased from that standpoint. Assignment-wise and execution-wise we are miles away, but so is everybody that we are competing against at this time of year.”

Roethlisberger isn’t worried either. He knows it was just day one and that they will work out all of the kinks in the next few days

“It’s a bunch of little things because it was the first day, first day getting out here,” said Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger was impressed with the performance of running back Rashard Mendenhall in his first day, including how he is already working into the passing game. He also likes what he sees overall from what the offense can do.

“We are really young on offense and that is part of the excitement,” said Roethlisberger. “Some people might look at it and be a little nervous. I like the young attitude that we have and I think that we can be very good.”
    ~~ from www.steelers.com~~~

Some good news out of camp, seems like everyone was dwelling on Hampton and Troy's situation,This team is looking good so far.If you look at Indy who has Peyton Manning,Marvin Harrison,Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders already on the PUP, we aren't looking too bad!

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

good read Peezy. I would really like to know who is lining up where on the first teams!

Good to know. I am sure that we will have everything worked out by opening sunday.
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

Some Inside Scoop Info on Steelers Training Camp

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Monday, July 28, 2008
    Afternoon delight - by: Dale Lolley
    from NFLonthesidelines

Either LaMarr Woodley is going to be a beast this season or the Steelers' offensive line - and right tackles in particular - really stinks.

Woodley was unblockable in the one-on-one drills this afternoon by either Willie Colon or Max Starks.

Neither is going to be a Pro Bowler anytime soon, but they are legitimate NFL offensive linemen. So maybe Woodley is just that damn good.

I spoke with the second-year linebacker after practice and he's really raring to go this season after languishing on the bench a bit last season as a backup to Clark Haggans (?).

I know. Haggans had one of the least productive seasons of any outside linebacker in the past 15 seasons for the Steelers. And for whatever reason, they still kept running him out there.

That won't be the case this season and Woodley is going to put up monster numbers.

Somebody else who stood out this afternoon was second-year defensive lineman Ryan McBean.

They were using McBean on punt coverage and he was really getting down the field well for a 290-pounder. This team hasn't had a young defensive lineman to use as a wedge buster the past couple of seasons, but McBean could be that guy.

Rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall shows good learning ability. After being beaten a couple of times in backs-on-backers blocking, the No. 1 pick picked up his game after that and stoned some guys.

He looks good with the ball in his hands, too, slipping through holes.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 5:57 PM
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is an excerpt from the SteelersLIVE 'Xtra practice report from this afternoon.

Woodley made a nice inside move to spin around Colon and get the sack. Later in the drill, Colon was beaten badly by Woodley, which prompted Tomlin to yell for the two to go at it again. But the third time was not a charm for Colon. After an offsides penalty by Woodley, which elicited a tongue-lashing from line coach John Mitchell, he eventually got past Colon for a late sack.

Starks didn't play much better against Woodley, who got to the passer two of three times. On another occasion, Woodley jumped offsides to negate the sack, according to Mitchell. But Starks was too slow to stop Woodley consistently.

In one-on-one matchups, Chris Hoke beats Mahan badly. ... Simmons stands up Aaron Smith for a bit, then holds him. ... Smith does a nice job against Brett Keisel. ... Essex handles Travis Kirschke. ... Mahan held his own against Scott Paxson. ... Simmons and Nick Eason had a lot of hand-fighting in a stalemate, which goes to the O-line. ... Hills was schooled by Harrison, and Tomlin asked them to do it again. So, Harrison did and bull-rushed Hills right into the quarterback. ... On the third rush, Harrison easily went around Hills and leaped into the arms of assistant O-line coach Harold Goodwin. ... Lentz stuffed Ryan McBean on three straight plays. ... And Hartwig stopped Martavius Prince, a rookie from Southern Mississippi.
    Last edited by lightningrod; 07-29-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    In one-on-one matchups, Chris Hoke beats Mahan badly. ...

Geez what a shock

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    In one-on-one matchups, Chris Hoke beats Mahan badly. ...

Geez what a shock
    LOL, this guy is a CHUMP!! CUT HIS ***!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im so impressed with Wood, this guy is going to be a freekin monster for us. Granted neither Starks nor Colon can be mistaken for a pro bowler at this point but still, for 2nd year guy Lamarr is just beginning to tap his potential.

This is from http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

My source tells me the battle at center is looking decidedly in Sean Mahan's favor after the first day of practice. Mahan took the majority of snaps with the first team, while Justin Hartwig only working with the first team for about three snaps in each of the teams two sessions. This doesn't mean things won't change in the coming weeks but it appears the Steelers are giving Mahan every chance to retain his starting spot.

hopefully they are wrong and Mahan isn't the starting Center...but then again this was only after the first day of training camp...we still have a lot longer to go!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    LOL, this guy is a CHUMP!! CUT HIS ***!
    yea what an waste of big money, the rooneys slept on this one
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 07-29-2008 at 01:58 PM.

"In terms of defensive backs, Bryant McFadden and Anthony Smith are day-to-day.

Both are out with groin injuries. " From kdka.com

Also, TIOPS wrote that Wexell said that Hampton weights around 365lbs. There are more updates on http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/ about the morning practices.

Thread Information