Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten issues as Steelers camp nears

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Ten issues as Steelers camp nears

The countdown to the start of Camp Tomlin has reached seven. Next Sunday the Steelers must report to St. Vincent College.

Since the Super Bowl era of the 1970s, fans have greeted the start of training camp with high anticipation, and this year is no different.

And due to recent negotiations regarding the ownership of this 76-year old franchise that has always been ruled by Rooney family, interest in the start of another Steelers’ season has intensified.

Coming off a 10-7 record in Mike Tomlin’s first season as coach — the wild-card playoff loss to the Jaguars included — the Steelers have plenty of question marks as 2008 gets under way.

Among them are these 10 issues:

* Now that Ben Roethlisberger has his eight-year, $102 million contract, will he continue to develop as a franchise quarterback?

* Will Troy Polamalu fully recover from off-season knee surgery and regain his reputation as one of the NFL’s most feared defenders?

* What will become of Max Starks now that he’ll be paid close to $7 million this season? Will he win back his starting job at right tackle, or will he be the highest-paid backup in team history?

* Will the running game dazzle now that Willie Parker has two new backfield mates in No. 1 draft pick Rashard Mendenhall and free-agent acquisition Mewelde Moore?

* Can Lawrence Timmons, last year’s No. 1 draft pick, bounce back from a frustrating, injury-plagued rookie season and beat out Larry Foote at right inside linebacker?

* Will left outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, last year’s second-round pick, blossom into the Steelers’ most dynamic pass rusher?

* Can James Harrison back up last year’s team MVP performance with another strong season and prove he’s a consistent performer at outside linebacker?

* Can the Steelers offensive line make up for the loss of Alan Faneca, the perennial All-Pro guard who signed with the New York Jets via free agency?

* Will the special teams bounce back from last year’s disastrous performance and save the job of beleaguered special teams coach Bob Ligashesky?

* Will the addition of a big wide receiver — second-round draft pick Limas Sweed, who’s 6-foot-4 — add punch to the Steelers’ passing game?
    Interesting issues here.

I know I'll be on my way to camp by this time next week. Can't wait!
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    * Will the running game dazzle now that Willie Parker has two new backfield mates in No. 1 draft pick Rashard Mendenhall and free-agent acquisition Mewelde Moore?
    If the offensive line comes together then yes; but if they don't it's going to be a sub par year for the running game. If defenders continue to blow up plays before they even get started we'll be going nowhere fast and Ben will himself on the short end of the record for getting sacked.

When you go down the list and read the concerns, a majority of them relate to the new guys that have been taken in the draft within the last 3 years. This just goes to show how well the Steelers do use the draft to their advantage and that this Steelers team is starting to go through sort of a rebuilding process. I know rebuilding isn't the right word what I'm trying to get across is how the veterans are starting to retire all the knew talent is their waiting to take over that spot for the next however many years. It's exciting to see the youth and how they will impact the game!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    These upcoming years will be big for the team; Tomlin came in while a lot of the players that Cowher drafted are starting to get into the last 3 years or so of their contracts so it's absolutely imperative that the players we picked up last year, this year and the ones upcoming in the next few drafts pan out in a big way. We can't afford many flops if this team wants to stay competitive. So far guys like Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, and the like are working out well and this years class has a lot of talent too.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If the offensive line comes together then yes; but if they don't it's going to be a sub par year for the running game. If defenders continue to blow up plays before they even get started we'll be going nowhere fast and Ben will himself on the short end of the record for getting sacked.
    with the way the offense is looking the offensive line will be much better, high powered air attack and a dangerous run game makes the oline look alot better....not to mention if theres one thing they can do good its run block

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    * Can Lawrence Timmons, last year’s No. 1 draft pick, bounce back from a frustrating, injury-plagued rookie season and beat out Larry Foote at right inside linebacker?
    I surely want to see more of an impact from Timmons this year. IMO (Even though he didn't see much of the field other than ST) He still hasn't shown enough on the field to convince me that he was the 1st rounder everyone was hoping for, but I got faith....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

he definitely was, hes a freak of an athlete and didnt have to step it up last year...sitting last year was good for him, FSU players are usually scheme retarded at first anyway

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    he definitely was, hes a freak of an athlete and didnt have to step it up last year...sitting last year was good for him, FSU players are usually scheme retarded at first anyway
    ya You're right, plus who does he really have to come in and play for alot like Woodley did.
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    too bad another FSU player who shall remain nameless ending up being scheme retarded and every other kind of retarded when it was all said and done. coughcough Zo coughcough ... and so far Timmons has shown more than he ever did

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    you guy are probably right about Timmons

Maybe spend more time watching games this season and less
    -unknown

Thread Information