Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Limas Sweed will ink a 4 year deal, Mendenhall a 5 yr.

Bookmark and Share

Rumor: Limas Sweed will ink a 4 year deal, Mendenhall a 5 yr.

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

I'm hearing a 4 year deal will be agreed upon by Monday or Tuesday regarding Steelers second round pick Limas Sweed. The impression I'm getting from people is that Sweed wants to be in camp on day 1 because he knows he has a great opportunity to come out of camp as the #3 receiver.

The representatives for 1st round pick Rashard Mendenhall are waiting to see what Dallas running back Felix Jones receives.

Mike Tomlin is very high on Darnell Stapleton and look for Stapleton to get a strong look as the teams starting center.

Fans are going to be impressed with Chris Kemoeatu. I'm hearing good things about him.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Update:

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

Steelers talking to McFadden about extension

TIOPS has learned the Steelers have had discussions with Bryant McFadden about a longterm extension. The Steelers have also had preliminary discussions with LT Marvel Smith regarding a 3 year extension. Talks with both players are expected to heat up prior to training camp.

A deal for Limas Sweed will be official in the next couple of days. Word is Mendenhall will be signed before training camp opens. It's believed the representatives for Mendenhall are waiting to see what Dallas running back Felix Jones signs for.

Jay Glazer Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com is reporting The New York Giants have agreed to trade Jeremy Shockey to the New Orleans Saints for a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick,
    Last edited by lightningrod; 07-21-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If they are considering giving Marvel and extension that that tells me a couple things...first off it tells me that they are confident that his offseason surgery will make him more durable and also that they like Tony Hills but feels he's going to be a project that will take atleast a couple years to develop which is not new news but this way it gives them a chance to let him develop and work his way into Marvel's spot in the future.

It also tells me that Starks situation is still way up in the air and they don't want to be caught next year with no experience at Tackle heading into the season.

As far as McFadden goes this one is a bit of a surprise only because I really think they are still high on Deshea and Ike and with Gay showing good stuff last year that he might be contending for a starting spot in 2009 but regardless Townsend isn't getting any younger and they want to keep good experience ready to go.

rashard shouldve gone so much higher than jones.....jones deal is gonna end up dicking him over lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    but you know Jerry Jones will overpay him which could be bad news for us

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Well it only goes back to what Goodell was saying about rookies getting payed according to where they fall on the charts and not according to what they can do on the field.
    What the Steelers pay their players shouldn't be base on what someone else pays theirs.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers are never afraid to stick to their guns and give a player what his place in the draft is worth and they won't be bullied into signing something they don't agree with. Agents for all players know that upfront when it comes to contract talks with rookies. Sweed will get his fair deal and then in a few years he'll sign a monster contract.

My Mood
    saints-hater
    If they are considering giving Marvel and extension that that tells me a couple things...first off it tells me that they are confident that his offseason surgery will make him more durable and also that they like Tony Hills but feels he's going to be a project that will take atleast a couple years to develop which is not new news but this way it gives them a chance to let him develop and work his way into Marvel's spot in the future.

It also tells me that Starks situation is still way up in the air and they don't want to be caught next year with no experience at Tackle heading into the season.

As far as McFadden goes this one is a bit of a surprise only because I really think they are still high on Deshea and Ike and with Gay showing good stuff last year that he might be contending for a starting spot in 2009 but regardless Townsend isn't getting any younger and they want to keep good experience ready to go.
    Am I the only one who doesn't think our Oline is as bad as the majority of the fanbase/media believe? I much like a lot of people on here also believe with more weapons now on offense such as Mendenhall and Sweed it will make the line better as a whole. But here is my take on the whole line for this season.

Healthier Marvel = Better at LT
    Young Hungry Kemo = Equal to "mailed in" season from Faneca
    Former Pro Bowler = MUCH better than Mahan at Center
    same old Simmons = same old Simmons
    Big Contract Starks = Better than overrated Colon

backups
    Mahan = experienced backup, former starter, can play 3 interior spots
    Colon = experienced, former starter, can play Guard and RT

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't think our Oline is as bad as the majority of the fanbase/media believe? I much like a lot of people on here also believe with more weapons now on offense such as Mendenhall and Sweed it will make the line better as a whole. But here is my take on the whole line for this season.

Healthier Marvel = Better at LT
    Young Hungry Kemo = Equal to "mailed in" season from Faneca
    Former Pro Bowler = MUCH better than Mahan at Center
    same old Simmons = same old Simmons
    Big Contract Starks = Better than overrated Colon

backups
    Mahan = experienced backup, former starter, can play 3 interior spots
    Colon = experienced, former starter, can play Guard and RT
    IMO, i don't think Colon was over rated just maybe playing wrong position....

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/...ve-line-click/

Colon is at the center of this thinking. Many have always believed that Willie Colon is a better guard than a tackle. Should Colon win a job at right or left tackle, the puzzle pieces then start to fit from there. Imagine Colon beating out Kendall Simmons at right guard. Starks would take over at right tackle, and be playing for a new contract.
    At center, Justin Hartwig would take over for Sean Mahan, who was overwhelmed by the job. Hartwig, up to now, hasn’t been very good. Much of his lack of development has been injury issues. There’s upside there that many haven’t talked about. Sean Mahan is a better guard than a center, and could either push Kemo, or take his job. Combine that with Marvel Smith returning to his pro bowl ways, and you could have a line improvement.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    The Dollar Speaks VERY LOUD now a days.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08204/898550-66.stm

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
    Rashard Mendenhall -- Steelers' No. 1 draft pick

The Steelers have not had a significant rookie contract holdout in a decade and it appears they will not have one this summer either.

Signing any veterans to contract extensions, however, is another matter.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, predicted yesterday that the top two draft choices will come to terms by the time the Steelers report to training camp Sunday at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, the Steelers' top pick, and wide receiver Limas Sweed, drafted in the second round, are the last unsigned of their seven draft choices.

"We feel confident that everybody will be signed by training camp," Colbert said.

The Steelers are negotiating a five-year contract for Mendenhall and a four-year deal with Sweed.

Colbert said the signings of second-round draft choices around the league were down because both sides awaited a ruling by a special master on a dispute between management and the players union over complicated guarantees in the uncapped year of 2010.

The master ruled in favor of the union over the weekend and Colbert believes more picks will sign soon because of it.

Colbert was not as confident about signing any veterans to contract extensions anytime soon, but indicated they will work on doing so before the season begins.

"We're going to try to get something done as we go through training camp, like we always do, and maybe even before, but with only a week to go it's unlikely we'll be able to sign anybody before camp."

The Steelers have a policy of not negotiating contracts once the regular season begins. Colbert would not name individual veterans they want to sign but noted that anyone entering their final contract year before they could become an unrestricted free agent is possible.

Those in that category include offensive tackle Marvel Smith, linebacker James Farrior, guard Chris Kemoeatu, quarterback Charlie Batch, cornerback Bryant McFadden, and offensive tackle Max Starks.

"We're not down the road with anybody at this point, I mean in heavy negotiations," Colbert said.

The Steelers' last three first-round draft choices all signed by the team's first reporting day to training camp -- Lawrence Timmons, Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger signed four days after camp opened in 2004. Guard Alan Faneca was the last first-round pick to miss more than a week of camp when he signed nine days after it opened in 1998. However, third-round pick Hank Poteat did miss more than a week in 2000 as their last rookie holdout.

No other first-round pick other than Faneca missed as much as a week of training camp before he signed since 1992, when tackle Leon Searcy missed the first 2 1/2 weeks.

The longest holdout in modern Steelers history came in 1987 when Rod Woodson did not sign until Oct. 28, after the NFL players returned to work from a monthlong strike.
    this whole CBA / uncapped 2010 season and everything that goes along with it is totally screwing up the NFL as we know it.

Atleast it looks like we'll have all of our guys ready to go for camp; they need all the time they can get in practice and preseason. The more I think about it the more I'd like to see Marvel get an extension to give Hills time to learn. Batch is probably done in the NFL when his contract is up. Starks, well that situation doesn't look like it's going to get done anytime soon unless something changes real quick. I'd like to see McFadden show us some real good stuff this year; He's been in the league long enough and it's time to take his game to the next level.

Thread Information