Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Mendenhall take Parkers starting spot?

Bookmark and Share
    PITTSBURGH PRIDE! STEEL CITY TANK's Avatar

Will Mendenhall take Parkers starting spot?

Locally people keep trying to start a running back uproar with the question. Will Mendenhall take Parkers starting spot? Willie Parker is my favorite Steeler on offense, so I hope it'll grow into a 1-2 punch with Parker at the 1 spot. Give me your thoughts on the question and what you think.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i think within the next two years he will.......... willie is a one trick pony, and pretty worthless when it comes down the stretch, he has no vision, no power, or pretty much anything...... he's fast and that's it........ we need a dude that has a nose for the endzone and will power his way to it with some speed, i think mendenhall is that guy.......

willie is the perfect back up though..........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

I doubt Mendenhall takes his spot any time soon, unless Willie really loses something from the broken leg you just dont replace the leagues leading rusher with a rookie or even a second or third year guy. Maybe once Willie hits 30 and his speed starts to go away then Mendenhall will become the full starter, but right now I dont see him being more than a heavily used 2 for the next few years
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

were not replacing ladainian tomlinson though

if he doesnt take the starting job in 1 or 2 years we shoould be greatly disappointed in our first round pick

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i hate when ppl call willie the league leading rusher, teh dude lead by like 5 yards on 50 more carries then any one else in the league
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

if he doesnt take the starting job in 1 or 2 years we shoould be greatly disappointed in our first round pick
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Why do you think we spent our no.1 pick on him? to ride the bench? No, he will probably spend time being a compliment to Parker for the first part of the season, and eventually replace willie as the full time starter by the end of this year or the start of next season.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

That's a good point and a very good problem to have. One on hand we have an undrafted free agent who comes in off the street and makes the team, ends up learning behind one of the best ever in Bettis, sets a SB record for the longest run, and consequently takes the starting job the following season. Parker is a cinderella story worthy of any fans adoration but he still has things to learn and we need him to be consistent for the whole year week in and week out. I like Willie and I'm a big fan of what he brings to the team; I have all the faith in the world in his ability to produce.

On the other hand you spend your 1st round pick on a RB and you want him to come in and learn his craft quickly and elevate his game to the next level. I think if he shows up and puts on a show right from the start it's going to be hard to keep him off the field. He and Willie will be that 1-2 punch we need and both of them will get their chances every week. It's going to be a blessing for us to have 2 top notch RB's available in the stretch run of the regular season and in the playoffs.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Like others have touched on in this thread...You don't spend a first round pick on a player to ride the bench unless its a QB......Some first round QBs ride the bench.........I do know Larry Johnson did ride the bench at first with the Chiefs and he was a first round pick.....But the Chiefs also had a great OL and Priest Holmes who was playing at a very high level.....But you just can't keep a RB as talented as Rashard Mendenhall on the bench for long.....I'm also fine with Parker as the starter since I do think his work load will be reduced and Mendenhall will have his share of carries...If the Steelers have a Fred Taylor/Maurice Jones-Drew situation this year with Parker/Mendenhall then I'm fine with it....But I do expect Rashard to start in 2009....Wouldn't be shocked if it happened late this season also...

In my opinion Mendenhall will be Joseph Addai, better off as a tandem than as a feature back. I think we took Mendenhall to be an excellent part of a tandem, not a feature guy hence why I thought it was a good pick. But to push Willie aside this season is a little far fetched in my mind. Willie still finished 4th in the league in yards, not exactly ground meat compared to havent played a down fillet mignon Mendenhall
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    In my opinion Mendenhall will be Joseph Addai, better off as a tandem than as a feature back. I think we took Mendenhall to be an excellent part of a tandem, not a feature guy hence why I thought it was a good pick. But to push Willie aside this season is a little far fetched in my mind. Willie still finished 4th in the league in yards, not exactly ground meat compared to havent played a down fillet mignon Mendenhall
    Who is pushing Parker aside?........Even when Mendenhall becomes the starter there will still be a role for Willie Parker....You need two RBs these days.....Parker will still have a role with the team.....But he can't have another 300 carry season...He isn't built for that....He has done a nice job carrying the load but I rather limited his carries and keep his big play ability fresh....Mendenhall could be a featured back no problem but I see no need to kill him either....There is room for both backs this year and in the next couple of years....

I just expect a first round pick to start by next year....I wouldn't be shocked if Mendenhall starts by late season....Thats not pushing Parker aside.......Thats just having faith and expecting a first round pick to produce.....I'm still a Parker fan...He is still one of my favorite players...But I don't want to see he him get worn down.....

Thread Information