Thread: The Steelers agreed to terms with a pair of sixth-round picks

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

The Steelers agreed to terms with a pair of sixth-round picks

The Pittsburgh Steelers agreed to three-year contracts with sixth-round picks Mike Humpal and Ryan Mundy on Friday, according to the Associated Press.

Humpal, an outside linebacker from Iowa, received a $71,600 signing bonus, and Mundy, a safety from West Virginia, received a $67,600 bonus. The Steelers report to training camp at St. Vincent College on July 27. The only unsigned draft picks are first-rounder Rashard Mendenhall and second-rounder Limas Sweed.
    get'em signed fast this year it seems.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    the lower round guys always get signed first since they are easier to deal with in terms of the money they are normally allotted based on their round so no surprises here. It's good for these guys to get in camp early because fighting for roster spots means you need every minute of coaching and training you can get.

I think both of these guys could be real solid additions to the team if they can make the roster; both are smart players.

Rookie Free Agent
    I hope they lock the next two guys down to longer term deals.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    oh they will, bigger money means a longer deal to ease the salary cap hit. Mendenhall will get a 5 yr deal most likely while Sweed get atleast a 4yr deal.

Rookie Free Agent
    Mundy seems like a smart guy. Using the college laws to his favor. I hope he can get with it. Might have a sleeper in the secondary.

Here we go STEELERS here we go!!!!!!

If you are real lucky, BS58, he might just murder Deshea Townsend!

Oh and I don't think he will be a sleeper. Good special teams guy and an OK back-up (think Tyrone Carter, but younger.) And I would have rather had Hiruki Nakamura (sp? and I could be wrong that he was there at that pick but I am pretty sure) The guy is a special-teams demon. The Ravens got him btw. Jamie Silva would have been ok by me, although he is limited athletically, he too will be a ridiculous ST guy. I am not really looking for a starter in the 6th round. I want someone to make the third area of our team better at that point. I am not condemning Mundy, I just think there were better options there at safety.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    oh they will, bigger money means a longer deal to ease the salary cap hit. Mendenhall will get a 5 yr deal most likely while Sweed get atleast a 4yr deal.
    For the record, picks 17-32 can get a maximum 5 year contract, and a 2nd round pick can get 4 years max.
    Last edited by steelcityrockers; 07-14-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    If you are real lucky, BS58, he might just murder Deshea Townsend!

Oh and I don't think he will be a sleeper. Good special teams guy and an OK back-up (think Tyrone Carter, but younger.) And I would have rather had Hiruki Nakamura (sp? and I could be wrong that he was there at that pick but I am pretty sure) The guy is a special-teams demon. The Ravens got him btw. Jamie Silva would have been ok by me, although he is limited athletically, he too will be a ridiculous ST guy. I am not really looking for a starter in the 6th round. I want someone to make the third area of our team better at that point. I am not condemning Mundy, I just think there were better options there at safety.
    [AutoMerged Post Below]

For the record, picks 17-32 can get a maximum 5 year contract, and a 2nd round pick can get 4 years max.
    Back in 1992 nobody expected anything from a rookie S drafted in the 8th round.....That S was Darren Perry and he went to start his rookie year and the next 6 seasons.......Perry was a very good and under-rated player with the Steelers....

I'm not saying Mundy will be the next Darren Perry...But you never know......I also don't expect Mundy to start this year....But just hoping we might have potential diamond in the rough that could start in the future.....

I just don't see a whole lot of potential with him. Although, I really did not hear a lot about him before the draft. I am frequently wrong, but like I said, I envision him as a Tyrone Carter type player with limited athleticism, but can start in a pinch...if he makes the team that is. I think he already kind of hit his ceiling, or is close to it.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by JB 67 View Post
    I hope they lock the next two guys down to longer term deals.
    me 2

Mundy def has the confidence... i've seen a few interviews by him and he is pretty high on himself (not arrogant just confident) and a rather heady guy!

Thread Information