Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Reid to return punts!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_473547.html

Notebook:

By The Tribune-Review
    Thursday, October 5, 2006

Willie Reid continues to wait. The rookie wide receiver said Wednesday he hasn't been given any indication what his status will be when the Steelers visit the Chargers. A dazzling return man at Florida State, Reid may get a chance to return punts Sunday night in San Diego. That has been a problem area for the Steelers, and Ricardo Colclough, who has been alternating on punt returns with rookie Santonio Holmes, is questionable with a neck problem. Colclough practiced yesterday, but said afterward the coaches want him to steer clear of contact -- at least until they find out more about his neck.
    "I don't know what it is," Colclough said. "It's just something that started and kept bothering me."

Even if he plays against the Chargers, Colclough is questionable at best to return punts because of his well-documented struggles. Reid, who has been inactive for the Steelers' first three games, continues to say and do the right things. That is assuming he hasn't highlighted passages in the Steelers' media guide about his punt return exploits at Florida State and left it on coach Bill Cowher's desk.

"I've been anxious (to play) since Week 1," Reid said. "Right now, you go out there and work hard."

Sooner or later this kid has got to make it on the field so we can see what he can do !

Hopefully sooner Reid and Holmes were supposed to be 2 of the best coming out of college last year, and IMHO this is where we are missing El the most...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Addicted
    The way the returns have gone this year I don't see how BC can continue to ignore Reid. He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and is saying all the right things. It's now time for him to be able to show what he can do on the field!

Cowher seems to like what the kid has to offer, and with everything that has been going on, I couldn't see him not playing him...but who knows. I really don't know how I like that Willie doesn't even know yet. Maybe BC thinks keeping him in suspense is the best thing

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If we're lucky, BC is playing his usual head games with the media so nobody gets tipped off before the game, and we'll see Willie in there sunday night.

I really think BC is playing his games like you said TG. I hope we see Reid returning punts this Sunday night, from the writeups and the records he broke at FSU, we could have ourselves a PrimeTime II

My Mood
    Addicted
    I am hoping he is back there. I want to see what this guy can do.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok this just getting stupid. Why did the Steelers spend a third round draft pick on this guy? For him to just sit on the bench and watch Colclough muff punts all year. If Cowher doesn't put Reid on punt returns soon then Bill Cowher is a complete tool. I totally understand that Reid only has proven it in the college ranks. But he was very good at a bigtime school. My memo to Bill Cowher wake up and play Willie Reid.

He doesnt like returning punts....he LOVES it. If you love playing on special teams its because your good at it.

Cowher: Reid will return punts and kicks Sunday
    Thursday, October 05, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Bill Cowher said today that rookie Willie Reid will be active and return punts and kickoffs when the Steelers play at the San Diego Chargers Sunday night.

Also, Cowher said cornerback Ricardo Colclough will not play against the Chargers because of a neck injury that could sideline the former No. 2 pick for a longer period of time. The decision came after Colclough underwent tests this morning to determine the severity of his injury.

Colclough, who fumbled a punt in the fourth quarter of the Sept. 24 loss to Cincinnati, reported back from the bye weekend complaining of a problem in his neck. Nonetheless, he practiced in non-contact drills with the team Monday and Wednesday and even lifted weights.

Reid, a No. 3 draft pick who has not dressed for any of the first three games, will split the punt-return duties with rookie No. 1 Santonio Holmes, who will continue to handle punts near the goalline. Reid and Holmes will also be paired together on kick returns.
    Post-Gazette

well it looks like coach cowher listened to us fans!

Thread Information