Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign 4th round pick Tony Hills to a three-year deal

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers sign 4th round pick Tony Hills to a three-year deal

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed fourth round draft pick, Tony Hills, to a three-year deal on Thursday, reportedly for $1.45 million dollars, with a $304,500 signing bonus, according to scout.com. Hills played his college ball at the University of Texas.
    The 6′6″, 305 lb lineman has dealt with severe injuries over his short football career. He had a career-threatening injury in his high school state championship game, that many thought he would never come back from. The Longhorns and the NCAA granted Hills a medical hardship in 2003, while he recovered from his knee reconstruction. By 2004 he was back on the team. By 2005, he was a top back-up on the line. By 2006, he was a starter. In 2007, Hills was receiving national recognition, that would ultimately see the big lineman drafted by the Steelers.

He was projected as a second rounder, before a broken leg late in 2007 ended his year, and his high draft status. The Steelers may have gotten a steal in the fourth round.
    The real question about Hills won’t really be answered until we can see him play once he’s learned the offense. At 305, Hills isn’t close to what he’ll ultimately weigh in the NFL. Look for him to gain 10-20 pounds in the next year, as he lifts with the Steelers strength coaches. Overall, he has good strength and movement. He’s extremely quick, but really, still learning the game.
    The knock on Hills is that he’s not really an X’s and O’s kind of player. He relies on his strength, and technique, but struggles understanding a defensive front. This can be devastating in the NFL, if he has a hard time grasping schemes heading into Sundays. Still, this is an athletic kid, who has a good head on his shoulders. He works hard, as he’s shown in rehabbing his knee in high school, and his leg in college. If he works that hard, look for the X’s and O’s to come.
    He’s a natural at tackle, but many scouts predict that he ultimately could be a guard. He won’t learn that position until he shows a 100% grasp on his tackle position. That won’t be any time close to this year.
    He’s a good addition to the Steelers’ offensive line, so we’ll call him a good ’start’ for the Steelers, as they continue to try and create the needed depth for the trenches.
    It's a waiting game now...
    Can He get through all the Injuries and remain Healthy..
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Starter
    Well, he sounds like a guy that has tremendous perserverance, which is definitley a good thing. Injuries are definitley a concern, but who knows? He sounds like a pretty talented guy who can be a solid player when healthy.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's about time we start getting some of these guys signed; good to see him on the roster now and ready to go. He needs to stay healthy because come next year out Tackle situation could be a lot more different than it is now and he'll be a position to fight for a starting job.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    It's about time we start getting some of these guys signed; good to see him on the roster now and ready to go. He needs to stay healthy because come next year out Tackle situation could be a lot more different than it is now and he'll be a position to fight for a starting job.
    Ok if Hills is fighting for a starting tackle position next year then we're screwed....lol I really hope the Steelers take care of the tackle situation before they're down to having Hills battle for a starting position....

I say resign Smith....Let Starks walk after the year...Draft an OT and maybe bring in a cheap vet.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    At the rate we're going it's hard to say what's going to happen at this point. The Rooney's will see to it that we have some quality guys in the mix next year at Tackle but right now it's anybody's guess as to who they are..LOL. If Marvel is willing to stay for a fair amount and he's healthy then Im all for bringing him back for say a 3 yr deal at the most and most definitely using the draft to get us a top flight prospect.

Hills is a project, we all know that, he's not going to be asked to do much this year unless catastrophic injuries happen on the OL so he'll have some time to learn but beyond that he better be ready.

I would actually like if Hills was in a competition for a starting spot next year...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Glad to see them starting to lock these guys up.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSteve View Post
    Well, he sounds like a guy that has tremendous perserverance, which is definitley a good thing. Injuries are definitley a concern, but who knows? He sounds like a pretty talented guy who can be a solid player when healthy.
    I agree with the injuries, the knee is a concern, the broken bone not so much,

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

dont sleep on hills, hes gonna be nasty....hes a franchise LT in tha making

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He would have gone in the 2nd round easy this year had he not had the injury problems. If he can take this year to learn, hit the film room, and get/stay healthy I'll be really excited to see what he can do. He's got the physical tools and protypical size to play the position and from what I've seen he's got a nasty streak about him too which is always good.

Thread Information