Thread: Fleury Signed & Two Wingers

My Mood
    Addicted

Fleury Signed & Two Wingers

Penguins complete Fleury deal, get 2 free-agent wingers
    Thursday, July 03, 2008
    By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Penguins have finalized a seven-year contract with goalie Marc-Andre Fleury and have reached agreements to obtain two free-agent wingers.

The Fleury deal is believed to be worth $35 million, which translates to an annual salary-cap hit of $5 million.

The year-by-year breakdown of his salary is not yet known.

Getting the deal done means the Penguins and Fleury will not have to go to salary arbitration, which the team filed for last month to prevent Fleury from testing the open market this week as a restricted free agent.

Also today, the Penguins have agreed to one-year contracts with free-agent wingers Miroslav Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko, both of whom spent last season with the New York Islanders.

Satan's is worth $3.5 million, Fedotenko's is worth $2.5 million.

Satan has outstanding goal-scoring ability but has been criticized for being a no-show in some games.

He is coming off one of his least productive seasons, with just 16 goals and 25 assists in 80 games on Long Island.

Fedotenko had 16 goals and 17 assists in 67 games in 2007-08.

The Penguins are believed to have focused on those two after learning they would not be able to sign ex-Penguin Markus Naslund.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    First published on July 3, 2008 at 1:31 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08185/894617-61.stm
    Very good news here. The Penguins have locked up the core of the team and added to solid guys.

Great news! I was a little worried when I heard an arbitrator was being brought into the negotiations.
    "Commitment to the team - there is no such thing as in-between, you are either in or you're out."-Pat Riley

Tailgate Coordinator
    Always liked Satan, glad Fleury and Malkin are locked up.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Considering the talent this team had assembled and the possibility of keeping everyone together being pretty remote the organization did a decent job so far in keeping as many good players as they good. I can't wait for next season!!

I think Fedotenko can give us pretty similar production compared to what Malone gave us last year. Maybe a SLIGHT downgrade, and I'm sure he won't provide the kind of leadership Malone did, but I think we'll be ok there.
    Satan... eh... he has some talent, but his numbers the past few years have been really unimpressive. Maybe that's just because the Islanders suck, and playing with Sid will bring him back up to 30-35 goals again. I like the fact that he called US to ask if he could play in Pittsburgh.
    But overall I think he's a pretty significant downgrade from Hossa, and while I think he would have been GREAT in Pascal Dupuis' spot on the top line if we'd signed Jagr, just taking Hossa's spot and keeping Dupuis on the top line (where he has NO business being) is kind of dissapointing to me. Hopefully I'm wrong, and Shero once again proves his genius, and Shatan (I think I might start spelling it that way. lol) will be a great pickup like Sykora was last year.

I just can't get over the fact that we could have had Jags.
    Shatan, Crosby, Jagr would be an awesome line. Better than Dupuis, Crosby, Hossa was last year. Dupuis, Crosby, Shatan is a downgrade.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information