Thread: Jagr Possibly a Penguin?

My Mood
    Addicted

Jagr Possibly a Penguin?

Sportsnet. ca -- The Pittsburgh Penguins have offered a contract to free agent forward and former team captain, Jaromir Jagr, Sportsnet has learned.

The Penguins are one of several NHL teams in pursuit of the former NHL MVP.

Jagr began his career with the Penguins and enjoyed his best seasons there, including Stanley Cup championships in 1991 and 1992.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...penguins_jagr/
    This could be intriguing.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I was listening to ESPN 1250 and supposedly no offer has been made, but the Pens called to see if there was interest and how much it would cost. Pens and agent still in contact from what they are saying.

If he has "matured" like they are saying in New York then he could be a very interesting pick up, might make losing Hossa easier.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    I would love to see Mario get Mario Jr back

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Reppin' 724
    They need to make some kind of splash after being spurned by Hossa....

My Mood
    Addicted
    Rangers GM just confirmed they will not be signing Jagr. I guess the chances of him in Pittsburgh just increased.

Apparently some Russian team has announced that they've signed Jagr.

Seeing as we're only about $3 million under the cap, we couldn't afford Jagr. Or at least that's what the Pens think. They weren't able to trade Sydor yesterday so I guess they gave up on Jagr. Pure idiocy if you ask me. You don't have to be under the cap until training camp. Sign Jagr, then work on trading Sydor to get back under the cap. There has to be teams out there that are under the salary floor and could use a good defenseman who can move the puck well, play pretty well in his own end, and can provide leadership. Now if we trade him we're probably just going to have a draft pick and some cap space to show for it instead of 30-40 goals from Jaromir Jagr.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevestinks View Post
    I would love to see Mario get Mario Jr back

Tailgate Coordinator
    No! Let the Crybaby stay in NY, or Russia! He's the Barry Bonds of the NHL to me.

It appears Jaromir Jagr's days in the National Hockey League are over.

The Russian hockey team Avangard Omsk announced it has signed the former New York Rangers star and Jagr's agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed the move Friday afternoon.

"Jaromir signed a letter of intent with the Avangard Omsk Hockey team of the Russian CHL on or about 3am EST this morning. I won't comment on the terms of the agreement at this time.It was a very difficult but personal decision to make in light of the many NHL teams interested in his services. He is grateful to the NHL and especially the Rangers in recent years."

The decision to leave the NHL was a difficult one for Jagr.

"It wasn't an easy decision," the forward told The Canadian Press on Friday. "It was the toughest decision in my life, hockey-wise.

"It was a lot tougher than I thought it was going to be," he added. "No question about it. I hate making changes."

Local and international media were reporting that Jagr will be paid $35 million for two years. However, in an interview with TSN, Jagr, himself, says the deal would pay him $5 million annually.

Just because he's leaving, doesn't mean Jagr did not enjoy his time in the NHL.

"The NHL gave me an opportunity to play hockey," he said. "And I played with so many great players. Especially in Pittsburgh with Mario (Lemieux) and Ron Francis and Bryan Trottier and Paul Coffey - all those great players. I had a chance to learn hockey from them. I was very lucky.

"Probably the luckiest year was when I was 18 years old and came to the Pittsburgh Penguins," continued Jagr. "It's not only about winning the Cup but it's about the players that won the Cup. They players on that team worked so hard to win that Cup. When you're a young guy and you see how hard the older guys work, you feel bad if you don't do that with them. They taught me everything - on the ice and off the ice."

On Thursday, Rangers general manager Glen Sather said the club could no longer wait for Jagr to decide where he wanted to play and signed former Vancouver captain Markus Naslund to replace him.

"I gave him the information that we are going to move on at this time. I couldn't wait any longer," Sather said in a conference call Thursday.

Nevertheless, Jagr was grateful for his time in New York.

"I'm thankful for the three years I had in New York," said Jagr. "They were great years. I understand that I'm older and the team decided to go in a different direction because they couldn't get the deal done.

"I will never say one bad word against the Rangers organization or Glen. They were great to me. And I'm not lying when I say that, it's really how I feel. They were always great to me."

Despite the Rangers moving on, there had been reports that Jagr was being pursued by the Edmonton Oilers, who were offering $7 million, and his former squad the Pittsburgh Penguins. All of teams are believed to have been offering one-year contracts - something Jagr was unwilling to agree to.

"I wanted to go home in three years so I was looking for a three-year contract if I wanted to stay here," said Jagr. "But it looks like with the new [Collective Barganing Agreement], it's tough for older guys to sign long-term contracts because teams are worried you're going to get injured or retire and they're stuck with the salary on the salary cap."

Under the current CBA, contracts of players 35-years of age or older will still count against the cap even if the player retires midway through the contract.

"So it was too tough for any team to sign me to a three-year contract," said Jagr. "But I didn't want to do a one-year deal because I didn't want to go through the same thing again next summer. Because I really didn't enjoy this."

Jagr, who tallied 25 goals and 46 assists for the Blueshirts last season, also played for Avangard during the NHL's lockout season in 2004-05.

"Don't forget I'm from Europe," said Jagr. "Russia is nothing new for me. It's close to the Czech Republic. It would be different for American or Canadian players but for me, I enjoy it. The people love hockey and I had a great time out there."

An eight-time NHL All-Star and 1999 Hart Trophy winner as the league's MVP, Jagr has registered 646 goals and 963 assists in 1,273 NHL games with Pittsburgh, Washington and the Rangers.

The Czech Republic native was also a part of two Stanley Cup winners in 1991 and 1992 with the Penguins.

With files from the Canadian Press
    Last edited by Stlrs4Life; 07-06-2008 at 11:42 PM.

I'm A "Champion"

Thread Information