View Poll Results: Can the Steelers contend for a championship in 2008?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, we are poised to make a run now.

27 45.76%
  • Yes we can but Im not sure we'll put it all together this year yet

26 44.07%
  • No, we are still atleast 2 years away

4 6.78%
  • Not sure, too early to tell.

2 3.39%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Steelers contend for a Super Bowl in 2008?

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Can the Steelers contend for a Super Bowl in 2008?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_574391.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ben Roethlisberger is taking a break from football and going fishing. The Steelers quarterback made it clear, however, that no matter what he catches next week, his focus is ultimately on reeling in something much bigger.

"Hopefully, we win the Super Bowl," Roethlisberger said Tuesday while working at the youth camp that bears his name at Mars High School's football field. "That's my goal this year and I think we've got the personnel for it."

Roethlisberger may be the biggest reason for optimism in regard to the Steelers attaining that goal. He is coming off a breakout season, one in which he made the Pro Bowl and shattered a Steelers single-season record with 32 touchdown passes, and he should have better command of the offense Bruce Arians installed last year.
    Roethlisberger didn't just crack the ranks of elite quarterbacks last season. He also established himself the unquestioned leader of the offense in his fourth year as the Steelers' starting quarterback.

"I think it's been a gradual process, but you could kind of see it coming along last year," Steelers tight end Heath Miller said. "He knew that this was his offense, and he knew that everyone in the huddle was looking into his eyes because they knew he was our leader."

Roethlisberger, 26, admittedly has had to grow into that role -- he took over a veteran-laden offense when an injury thrust him into the starting lineup as a rookie in 2004 -- and he said he plans to be even more vocal this season since he is more comfortable with Arians' offense.

"Because it was a new offense (last season) it's kind of hard to be too vocal as a leader when you're not sure what's going on all the time on offense," Roethlisberger said. "This year I think I'll be able to develop even more and hopefully just be able to continue to grow into my leadership role."

Even though the Steelers are finished with offseason practices and don't report to training camp until July 27, Roethlisberger said he has been preparing in earnest for the upcoming season.

The 6-foot-5, 241-pounder said he will return to Pittsburgh after his fishing trip and resume working out on a daily basis as well as chatting with Arians, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, regularly.

As for what he can do following a season in which he finished second only to Tom Brady in passer rating (104.1) and also befuddled opponents with his Houdini-like ability to escape the pass rush, Roethlisberger said there is plenty.

"I'm never going to be satisfied with where I'm at," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to try and get better, whether it's reading defenses better, knowing what's going on, on offense. There's a lot of little things I'd like to do to get better."

And if Roethlisberger manages to get better, the Steelers only figure to do the same.

The team won an AFC North title but faded in the latter part of the 2007 season and lost to Jacksonville, 29-27, in an AFC wild-card game.
    Despite the disappointing end to a season that started with such promise, Roethlisberger said he is confident the Steelers can contend for the Super Bowl this year.
    "I think we've got a lot of pieces," he said, "and we're a year better."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben seems confident that's for sure; it's really early to make any predictions yet till we see how the young guys pan out and how the team comes together as well as how we hold up injury wise. Looking at the team on paper though I'd say we've definitely got a roster than make a run for it.

Absolutely

Absolutely the Steelers can make a run this year.

So can the Vikings, Saints, Bucs, etc, etc, etc.

That is the beauty of the NFL - at this point in the year every fan of the league can make an argument their team is going to compete this year. And most have some ground to stand on.

All except the Fins maybe. But even they have something to be pumped about with the Big Tuna cleaning house.
    Striking at mental apparitions like a drunk on a vacant street. ~ Bad Religion

Other than the Falcons, yeah anyone COULD win it.

This is the beauty of the NFL. Every team out there, thinks that they have a shot at the Super Bowl. Well, if I were a fan of the Hawks, Fins, and Rams, I would be happy if I had to use my other hand to count our total of wins. I think the Steelers have a real good chance at it. But, making the playoffs again would make me happy.
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

Reppin' 724
    The more and more I think about it, I really only see one maybe two problems for this team. D-Line reserves, and the play of Troy. The D line is not young at all, and we really aren't deep at all either. So if someone goes down (A Smith) we could be hosed. I really think the FO put waaay too much stock in Brent Keisel.

If Troy would play like a Troy and not a Tory, I would be very happy, as would most of us.

I, like most, thought the o line would be a major factor this year, but I really do think it's going to play a lot better than last year. Mahan was a huge problem, and having Hartwig there will make things a lot more solid. Just having the skill players have on O is going to take a lot of pressure off of the big guys up front. D's are really going to be guessing against us this year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The DL scares me this year too, that's the 1 area that really concerns me if a starter goes down. I really wanted us to address that in the draft but it didn't happen so it's more important than ever that all the starters stay healthy.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Sure the Steelers are a good enough team to compete for a Super Bowl...But so many factors play into a season that can ruin a season for a team...Main one is health.....I won't be shocked if this team makes it to the AFC title game....I'm not saying they will or not since it way to soon to think AFC title game thoughts...

if mr mcbean steps up we could have a very good dline. and i think keisel can still improve....smith wasnt great right away but now hes a master of the position....the best 34 DE in the league. its a tough position to play.

**** troy, we should sign ty law off the streets to play saftey

The Oline scares me

However, the talent on the team is overwhelming. I kant spell !!! The roster is awsome. I expect big things next year. Too much beer ? SORRY!!!

Thread Information