Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Sports history questions

Pittsburgh Sports history questions

Yesterday, WFAN had Verne Law on for an interview. Talking about the 60 World Series. They were talking about it being a Pirates town at the time because the Steelers were awful. Got me thinking, 1st which is considered to be the bigger sports moment for pittsburgh fans, the immaculate reception or the mazeroski homerun? Secondly, did the Steelers overtake the Pirates in the 70's or was it always a Steelers town? The Steelers had their dynasty, but the Pirates also had some great teams in the 70's as well.

I think it really depends on what sport you follow the most. Football fans will probably remember the reception before a homer run... plus the baseball season is so long I think the seasons really start to run together.

It's really hard to say the Steelers took over though... I would if they have it has been more recently. Like going back to when Bonds, Bonillia, Drebeck, and Van Slyke all left town because the Pirates haven't been the same since then but the Steelers have stayed pretty consistent and even won the Super Bowl.

AZ, I remember the Pirates not selling out play-off games from 90-92, hard for me to say they have a strong grip on a town in that situation.

I wouldn't necessarily say the Pirates had a strong grip on the town at that time... I feel it was more of a Sports town though, kind of how Boston is labeled now. Plus you can't really leave the Penguins out of the equation either.

I find Bahsten to be VERY fair-weather. Noone cared about the Pats until 2001. Last year when I went to Bahsten for Rangers-Bruins, the Celtics were playing the night before. If I brought a pair of high-tops and shorts, they may have let me play. Same with the Bruins. This whole Red Sawx nation thing is a modern phenomenon. It wasn't until the past 10 years or so they became a hot ticket in town.

When I went to Pittsburgh last summer I was pretty impressed with the Pirates fans. They seemed passionate, but were resigned to the fact that just weren't very good. I have been to 5 rangers-pens games at the igloo. Pre-Crosby, the place was dead and absolutely no atmosphere. Doubt that would ever happen with the Steelers.

Hopefully we never have to find out if that would happen to the Steelers!

Pittsburgh was most certainly a Pirates first town through the 60's until the Steelers came to prominence, There is a very famous time magazine photo of fans watching that '60 world series from the top of the cathedral of learning on U of Pittsburgh campus. Pittsburgh has had some of the major stars of the time through out their history whether is be Honus or Pie or Ralph. There was a reason that the original hockey team was named after the Pirates as well as the Steelers being originally named the Pirates...
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Tailgate Coordinator
    I would have to say the Immaculate Reception due to the fact on just that 1 play, it seemed to turn the Steelers Tide. The Homer was great for that series, but the Pirates were already pretty good.

PITTSBURGH PRIDE! STEEL CITY TANK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    I would have to say the Immaculate Reception due to the fact on just that 1 play, it seemed to turn the Steelers Tide. The Homer was great for that series, but the Pirates were already pretty good.
    Immaculate Reception......but that homer made the yankees cry......who do I dislike more, NY or Oakland.................screw em both

From what my dad says, it was always a Pirates town until the Steelers dynasty of the 70's. Thats when I think it started to change. It was probably 50/50 in the 70's, and then in the early 90's when the Pirates' last gasp of greatness fizzled out and the Steelers were going strong with Bill Cowher, the Pirates' kind of faded away and it was just the Steelers.

As for the Pens, coggs, I can't blame the fans at the Igloo for not having more energy at the time. A great team had just been demolished and it was too early in the rebuilding process for there to be any tangible progress. Who would go cheer for Ramzi Abid, Konstantine Koltsov, Ross Lupaschuck, Kris Beech, and Eric Meloche? I was there when Crosby scored his 100th point. It was the last game of a miserable, dissapointing season where we once again finished at the bottom of the standings. But it felt like game 7 of the Stanely Cup Finals, because finally Pens fans had something to get excited about again.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information