Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben's hit list

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Big Ben's hit list

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06278/727573-66.stm

San Diego was one of 10 teams to ignore Ben Roethlisberger on draft day 2004, opting instead for Philip Rivers. Big Ben remembers.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Perhaps it's not the same as Chad Johnson's List in Cincinnati, but Ben Roethlisberger keeps a directory of his own. Call it Big Ben's Ten Most Wanted.

They are the 10 National Football League teams that bypassed him in the 2004 draft. Perched at the top are the San Diego Chargers. Roethlisberger and his Steelers teammates go after them Sunday night on the West Coast.

"It'll feel good to get out there," Roethlisberger said yesterday. "It'll be a little added incentive."

Roethlisberger already beat the Chargers in San Diego last October. Adding to the incentive of again playing the first team that bypassed him in the draft is playing against Philip Rivers for the first time. Rivers and Eli Manning were the two quarterbacks drafted before him. Roethlisberger can add Rivers' pelt to the one he acquired when he and the Steelers beat the Giants and Eli Manning in 2004.

Manning was drafted first in the 2004 draft, Rivers fourth. The New York Giants and Chargers quickly followed by swapping the quarterbacks. The Steelers made Roethlisberger the third quarterback drafted in that class, picking him at No. 11.

"It's not him, I have nothing against him," Roethlisberger said of Rivers. "I like playing San Diego because they had a pick -- anybody who was in the top 10, I kind of like to play against, it feels good."

Roethlisberger won his first nine starts against his Ten Most Wanted before he and the Steelers stumbled in Jacksonville in the second game this season, 9-0. He has beaten Cleveland all three times he has started against the Browns, and added victories against the Washington Redskins, Jaguars, Giants, Houston Texans, Detroit Lions and Chargers. He gets a crack at two more on his list later this month when the Steelers play at Atlanta and at Oakland. A victory against each would complete his Top 10.

Adding to the intrigue of his hit list is the fact the Steelers would have drafted Rivers if he had been available, even if Roethlisberger had been on the board. There were many reports that the Steelers preferred Rivers.

"Yeah, that was my impression," Rivers said yesterday. "I certainly got the impression if not San Diego, then Pittsburgh. That was all ifs and buts, but certainly that was the impression, but who knows how it's going to unfold?"

If Ben stays this fired up to play a team that he feels strongly about, then he should come out and have a real solid game and help us get that W !

Whatever it takes to get him back to his regular self. He still has more to show than Rivers and Manning!!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

If this is what it takes for him to shake the rust ...so be it!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Exactly ! I don't care what motivation he uses, so long as he gets back to being Ben !

i really think the whole team is going to be chomping at the bit to play this game. let's face it, the team lost two very winable games, their backs are against the wall. i don't think any team wants to play us right now.

I think the old Steelers 'tood is going to come out against SD this week, with Ben leading the pack. We sure need to get a momentum going and this is the game to start it. We can no more lose 3 in a row, then we can allow SD to win another.
    I'm a believer!

I like this! Ben is is getting fired up and ready to play hopefully the rest of the team is behind him and ready to go as well!

My Mood
    Addicted
    If this gives him extra motivation even better. We should see the old Ben out there come Sunday.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think its rather silly that Jax is on his list since the Jags drafted Byron Leftwich in the first round the year before. So why would the Jags draft another QB a year later? But whatever Ben needs to get back to being Big Ben then I'm all for it. We need Ben on top of his game bigtime.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133 View Post
    i really think the whole team is going to be chomping at the bit to play this game. let's face it, the team lost two very winable games, their backs are against the wall. i don't think any team wants to play us right now.

I read somewhere Arron Smith was talking about hating to go into a bye with a loss or a losing record because it leaves that bad taste in your mouth for 2 weeks.

Personally I hope it left a HORRIBLE taste in their mouth, a taste they don't want to know again this season !

Thread Information