Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-time Steeler Fullback Heads West

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

Long-time Steeler Fullback Heads West

Long-time Steeler Fullback Heads West

Posted Jun 29th 2008 9:02PM by JJ Cooper
    Filed under: Rams, Steelers, Pittsburgh

It looks like Dan Kreider's days as a Steeler are officially done.

The writing had been on the wall ever since the Steelers didn't make him a contract offer of any sort when he became an unrestricted free agent. But now the Lancaster New Era is reporting that Kreider is going to sign a contract with the St. Louis Rams, even if his chances of making the Rams roster are pretty remote.

By saying goodbye to Kreider, Pittsburgh appears ready to go into next season with only Carey Davis on the roster as a true fullback. New offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has de-emphasized fullbacks in general, and he seems to prefer guys like Davis--a runner and a blocker, instead of Kreider's pulling guard in a fullback's body approach.

The only other fullback on the Steelers roster heading into training camp is former Florida Gator Billy Latsko. Latsko spent last year on the Panthers practice squad. Barring an injury, he's unlikely to make the active roster, but he seems a sure bet to make the practice squad as a backup plan in case of an injury to Davis.

In the long-run, this move won't make much of a difference, as the Steelers seem more likely to use two tight end sets with Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth instead of a lot of two-back formations--last year, 57 percent of Willie Parker's carries came without a fullback in the game. Expect that number to go up in 2008.

LINK

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I hate to see Kreider go, the guy is just so tough and a team player. He's a good presence in the locker room, nice to the fans, works hard, tough as nails and not afraid to dish out a hit. I would still rather have Kreider than Davis ( assuming his knee is ok ) he can catch out of the backfield too and he's a helluva blocker when you need those tough yards. I would bet he'd take less money if it meant he could stay in Pittsburgh. Bruce Arians offense doesn't have room for a power FB like Dan though and to me that sux. Im all for the new offense, scoring points, new formations and all that but when you have to line up on 3rd and goal inside the 5 or you have 3rd and 2 with 2 minutes to go and you're up by 3 there's no FB I'd rather have than Kreider.

no way he makes that team with brian ****ing leonard and the leonard leap...the most electrifying move in modern sports entertaiment

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    As good of a FB as he is I can't believe he hasn't gotten more suitors than just St. Louis; unless his knee is still a major concern at this point and given the severity of the injury, it doesn't surprise me.

fullback isnt a dying position anymore, its a dead one. lorenzo neal cant find work either....you have to be able to play RB to be a FB now, gotta catch passes and be like a second weapon out of the backfield if they use you at all

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Kreider is a throw back, old school type of guy the same as Neal is. I can't imagine there's nobody out there that doesn't want these guys. They can both catch the ball, they are the 2 best FB's in the league by far IMO. I know today's offenses in the NFL are more geared to speed, versaility, and quick strike, even in the running game but IMO they are still both very productive and could help a team even in situational circumstances. Maybe they won't get the 1 mill a year deals they got from the steelers and chargers so they're going to have to bite the bullet if they want to keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    They can both catch the ball, they are the 2 best FB's in the league by far IMO.
    ok...kreider cant catch lol

Oh, for the record, they currently have 2 real Full Backs on the roster with Davis and Billy Latsko. He will not make the roster, but probably the practice squad.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Sorry to see Kreider go, but it was time. Good luck in the future endeavors.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    IMO,Bruce Arians shouldn't be on the team.

I'm still waiting for more 3-TE set's they he claims that we would be using more of.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information