Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much should we expect from Mendenhall in 2008?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    This is a good and interesting question......Rookie RBs usually have impacts their rookie years....Plus we do have Parker and he will be fine...So Rashard doesn't have to shoulder the load....But I won't be shocked if Mendenhall has a rookie year like Jones-Drew did his rookie year......

Jones-Drew had 166 carries and 941 rushing yards with 13 rushing TDs his rookie year.....I could see Rashard having 160 carries this year no doubt......I don't know if he tops 900 yards rushing and 13 TDs....But 750 to 900 sounds right....Plus 7-9 TDs.....I doubt Mendenhall catches over 40 balls this year like Jone-Drew did his rookier....Mendenhall can be a weapon in the passing game but Moore will get his share of catches out of the backfield this year...Since he probably will be the 3rd down back...Now later on in the year....There is chance Mendenhall could see some action on 3rd downs also....
    It's funny you mention Jones Drew, I was thinking about him and how Mendenhall's numbers might stack up. Maurice in the same situation that Rashard is in now; being on a team with an established RB already in place. Both Willie and Rashard are going to benefit from having each other to share the load which is going to help our offense greatly and hopefully keep them both fresh late in the year.

i dunno, i guess its a simliar situation. i would say more like rhodes/addai in addais rookie year, more of a pass happy offense but a very effective running game. Mendy is a nasty pass reciever so i expect him to get pretty involved in that way. i dont think it will be long until people realize mendy is a far superior runner than parker, but thats good for parker too because hes gonna get his touches and not be worn down. a tired willie is a worthless willie, hes not one to get stonger as the game goes on but being fresh in the 4th is only gonna help us out. mendy might be the best and the worse thing to happen to willie career at the same time

Willie, in his brief career as a full-time starter, has proven once again that you sign some no name RB from California State A&M Tech (I know he was from NC State or NC, whatever) and throw him behind a decent line an they will probably not suck.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i dunno, i guess its a simliar situation. i would say more like rhodes/addai in addais rookie year, more of a pass happy offense but a very effective running game. Mendy is a nasty pass reciever so i expect him to get pretty involved in that way. i dont think it will be long until people realize mendy is a far superior runner than parker, but thats good for parker too because hes gonna get his touches and not be worn down. a tired willie is a worthless willie, hes not one to get stonger as the game goes on but being fresh in the 4th is only gonna help us out. mendy might be the best and the worse thing to happen to willie career at the same time
    The Indy comparison could be used also.....I just brought up Jones-Drew since I think Mendenhall has a nice blend of speed and power....He won't be as powerful as Jones-Drew....But I think Mendenhall has more power then Addai.....I know Mendenhall is a nasty pass receiver......But I don't know how many catches he will get....I think Moore will be the 3rd down back and that will take catches away from Mendenhall...Over the course of the year he will rack up some catches...I just don't think Mendenhall will have over 40 grabs like Jones-Drew did his rookie year....

Its going to interesting to see how the carries will be divided this season.....The good thing though is one of these guys doesn't have to shoulder the load since they have the other one to support them.....Both players will benefit from that this season....But its sooner rather then later until Rashard Mendenhall is the starting RB for this team...You don't keep first round pick as talented as this guy second string for long....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Priest Holmes and Johnson from KC when they were both healthy is also a possible comparison. I think this year and in the immediate future our running game has the potential to be the threat it once was. The last 2 years our running game hasn't scared too many people because it's been inconsistent. This year with Parker, Mendenhall, Davenport, Moore in the backfield or really whoever they end up keeping we've suddenly jumped from 1 legit threat in the backfield to 2 and maybe 3.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I still don't see Davenport making the team.....Why keep him?......I think Russell makes the team over Davenport....Russell played on the kick coverage units last year...

I don't see the team keeping 6 backs......So the five backs will be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell, and Davis...I also wouldn't be shocked if the team just kept 4 RBs.......It depends if they keep an extra LB or OL or something like that....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I still don't see Davenport making the team.....Why keep him?......I think Russell makes the team over Davenport....Russell played on the kick coverage units last year...

I don't see the team keeping 6 backs......So the five backs will be Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell, and Davis...I also wouldn't be shocked if the team just kept 4 RBs.......It depends if they keep an extra LB or OL or something like that....
    I think they'll probably go with 5; Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Davis, & Davenport. the reason I think Davenport stays is because he can return kicks and play on the coverage team plus he's a veteran player who can also fill in with the 3rd down back role. IMO that makes him more attractive to the team than Russel. I iagree 6 back is out of the question too

Davenport is relatively worthless returning kicks, though. He does not have enough speed (I know he ran a 4.35 at the U) or moves, or anything really other than he does not fumble. Russel could return kicks with the same effectiveness as Dookie. Moore, Davis (maybe Russel if he can learn Blitz Pick-Up) can play 3rd-Down.

the thing with him returning kicks is hes not afraid to do it, he secures the ball and can follow blocks very well, hes obviouslt not the most convential returner but at least he CAN do it.

i know alot of you dont like davenport but hes been very good for us. Hes got awesome hands and vision with nice speed...if only he ran like a 250 pound man or if he could block like one he would go from being solid to being an important piece to the team. davis is a bruiser but hes not gonna be handed the job over davenport who isnt exactly costing us a fortune

Davenport will never be more than a solid change of pace guy, and hit his ceiling years ago. Moore is simply better than Davenport at everything. So he takes the #3 back. At#4, Russel is still an unknown and, despite my hatred of this term, has LOADS moe potential than Dookie. Russel is not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but he can run with power, unlike Davenport who runs like a 250 pound scat-back.

Thread Information