Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin says no jobs won in spring, without hitting

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08165/889666-66.stm

Steelers summer break, 44 days until Latrobe
    Friday, June 13, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin laughed before he heard the end of the question about whether Chris Kemoeatu had secured the starting job at left guard this spring.

"He won it in shorts?" he responded.

The stock answer is that Steelers don't win or lose jobs in the spring, when there is no hitting, when there are no real requirements for players to attend and when a receiver can run over the middle and extend his arms for a pass without fear.

Those quasi-football practices came to an end yesterday, and the players now have off until the more telling time of training camp opens for them July 27 at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. Although these spring organized team activities have taken on more intensity the past dozen years, they remain a poor cousin of the real thing in the summer.

"What we've done to this point has been good," Tomlin said, "but it's been teach-oriented, it's been skill-develop-oriented. It's different than playing the game of football."

Tomlin talked about spring practices being good for team camaraderie and the learning process for individuals, but the coach pretty much rendered them useless for player evaluations or individual competition for jobs.

"I don't read too deeply into evaluating this time of year," Tomlin said. "It's about teaching. This is football in shorts, and I keep that in mind as I look at what goes on out there. People that may do great things out there may disappear in pads. Guys who struggle out there in shorts may be great players in pads. I always keep that thought in mind. I reserve judgment until we go to training camp and put pads on."

Santonio Holmes suggested a day earlier that Tomlin cut back on the number of spring practices he conducts so he and other players can save it for when it really counts, in training camp. Holmes bowed out of a number of practices because of his beliefs.

Asked if he takes such opinions into consideration, Tomlin answered, "It depends on the source. I like Santonio, Santonio's a good player, a good guy. He's learning how to be a professional. We'll continue to work with him."

Tomlin has been careful not to render public judgment on players who have skipped many of the voluntary practices. Troy Polamalu has spent the spring in California with his personal trainer. Casey Hampton has not been around for weeks, leading to speculation he might be working with a personal trainer this spring as well. Even Ben Roethlisberger was a no-show the past two practices.

"I'm not going to talk about guys who are not here," Tomlin said. "It's voluntary, and I'm going to leave it at that."

Few specifics surfaced as Tomlin wrapped up his second spring session. Among the few tidbits:

• Holmes will get a chance to return punts this year after being denied the opportunity in 2007.

"The judgment we made in regards to that last year really was more about his development as a receiver. He was a second-year player. ... He's a year older, seemingly a year wiser. We'll see if he can handle it. If he can, we'll explore it."

Other candidates to return punts and/or kickoffs are Jeremy Bloom, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore and Willie Reid.

• Training camp will take on a new look because teams are limited to 80-man rosters with the demise of NFL Europa and the five or six roster exemptions each NFL team had for those players.

"I think you have to approach it differently from that standpoint," Tomlin said.

"We are a veteran team in some areas; we have to approach it differently because of that. I know the guys a lot more than I knew them last year ... for those reasons, we will approach it differently."
    Let's just keep everybody as healthy as possible heading into camp; the last thing we need is another Timmons scenario happening this year.

Holmes returning punts; at this point Im pretty much excited about anybody returnings kicks who's name are not Coc or Reid. We've got enough candidates now that can return kicks that we ought to be able to find somebody decent. I hate seeing starting WR's out there returning kicks so hopefully Moore can win the return jobs this year but we'll see.

i dont want holmes on special teams period, hes ok at it but hes a better wr and thats what he needs to focus on

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was just thinking about that after submitting that thread and reading back over it again; I think Holmes now entering his 3rd year would be able to handle it but he's such a big part of our offense that unless there is absolutely nobody else I'd rather not see out there on ST either. ARE did it for us and it worked out pretty well because even though he danced around a lot he was always a threat to make a big return. The fact that our ST sucked so bad and our return game had completely disappeared pretty mandates that they try everything at this point to see who's going to emerge. I still think Moore is the odds on logical choice at this point.

yeah ARE had zero touchdowns and like 35 catches...he could handle the extra load lol

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I don't think Holmes should be the full time kick and punt returner...But I wouldn't mind seeing him back there in certain situations...It wouldn't have hurt at all to have Holmes return that last kick-off in the play-off game vs the Jags......

If the Steelers need a spark or need to get in field goal range late in a game when they're behind then give Holmes a chance....What could it hurt? Yea there is a chance he could hurt on the return...But he could also get hurt from catching a pass as a WR.....

Draft Pick
    what ever gets the job done

Starter
    I'd like to second that before Steel58 thirds it, fourths it, fifths it etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSteve View Post
    I'd like to second that before Steel58 thirds it, fourths it, fifths it etc. etc.
    LMAO

i didnt see it at first but i ****ing KNEW there was more to it lol

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    LMAO

i didnt see it at first but i ****ing KNEW there was more to it lol
    lol I was hoping you would find it

OMG....AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thread Information