Thread: Porter sounds unimpressed by Rivers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Porter sounds unimpressed by Rivers

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_473763.html

Linebacker Joey Porter said the Steelers already know what San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers is going to do.
    "They're not letting him do too much," Porter said. "They're not going to ask him to throw 30 times. They're going to tell him to manage the football game."

Porter doesn't sound too impressed with Rivers.

"We definitely have the scheme to rattle any quarterback," Porter said. "We'll see how he handles it."

• Reserve running back Najeh Davenport is inching closer to the playing field. Davenport, who hurt his lower leg Monday in practice and is listed as questionable, worked out with the team yesterday and showed enough to get coach Bill Cowher's attention.

"Najeh worked today. He felt pretty good," Cowher said. "We'll see how he feels, and we'll go from there."

Davenport has dressed the last two games but has yet to play. Another running back slowed because of injuries, Duce Staley, could also play against San Diego, although Cowher isn't making any guarantees.

• Santonio Holmes was the only rookie receiver taken in the first round of the 2006 draft. So far, Holmes, who starred at Ohio State, hasn't been much of a factor: five catches for 51 yards.

"Sitting back watching, it's kind of tough. But you play in certain situations for a reason," Holmes said. "I feel it was time for me to grow and learn a lot more over the year, than to be out there making all those mistakes early."

Leave it Joey to give the other team bulletin board material It's true though, Rivers is asked to manage the game right now. As he gets more experience they'll expand things for him but overall he's still learning.

I wouldnt be suprised to see him try and go downfield on us some to test out or secondary and see if he can find something to exploit so we better be ready for anything.

Joey has been pretty good about winning games after he talks smack. He and the Steelers have been pretty good at walking the walk.
    aushqf4

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well we did have Ben doing the same thing and went 15-1 so don't look past the Chargers. They have a running game, good D....... sounds kind of familiar doesn't it?....lol As long as we don't turn the ball over we should win without too much trouble.

With the way the Steelers stop the run you know the Chargers are going to have to air it out at some point and Rivers isn't the guy to do that. He hasn't done much all season and when he looked really shakey against a tough D last week. Blitzburgh is going to have Rivers

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Joey's Bark is ten times worse then his bite.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well Joey Porter isn't impressed with Peyton Manning also. So it shouldn't be a suprise to anyone that he isn't impressed with Philip Rivers. About Rivers just managing the game sure that is true. But early in the Ravens game the Chargers did allow Rivers to throw one a deep pass and he did complete it for a TD. Plus in the Chargers second game they did allow Rivers to throw the ball 35 times and he did complete 25 of his passes. So at times the Chargers have allowed Rivers to make plays. So the Steelers defense can't affort to fall asleep on Rivers.

Its not Philip Rivers fault that Marty went all to conservitive in the second half of the Ravens game Sunday. If Marty would have allowed Rivers to make plays in the second half like he let him do in the first half then the Chargers would have won that game.

Just in case you didn't know beforehand, Joey lets you know that he intends to...and will..f*ck you up!!

BuFu

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    3 tackles, 2 assist, 2 sacks for Joey through three games. I expect a helluva alot more then this. Through three games.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I agree I'd like to see him have more production. He does get alot of the double teams which opens things up for the rest of guys around him to make plays but still our defense is built around the LB's making alot of the plays. As the defense continues to play better Im sure Joey's stats will get better too.

I agree with Porter for once...I think Rivers is Bernie Kosar redux. He'll be a decent NFL QB, but nobody is ever going to confuse him with the great one's...

Thread Information