Thread: Mendenhall back in the swing of things

Bookmark and Share
    Tailgate Coordinator

Post Steelers Draft needs

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

Pittsburgh Steelers

Offensive tackle: The Steelers seem to be excited about keeping most of their offensive line together. They did win the Super Bowl with it, but the line clearly was the team's weak link. While the Steelers will talk about drafting for depth, if an opportunity to draft a bona-fide left tackle early in the draft presents itself, they should do it. That would allow Willie Colon to move inside to guard, his natural position, and Max Starks to go to the right side, where his struggles against top pass rushers wouldn't be exposed.

Defensive end: Aaron Smith will turn 33 in April, Brett Keisel is 30 and backup Travis Kirschke is 34. This defense needs to get younger, and it has to start up front. The Steelers like their defensive ends big, strong and physical.

Cornerback: The loss of Bryant McFadden leaves Ike Taylor and 11-year veteran Deshea Townsend as the Steelers' starters. Fernando Bryant was re-signed, but the Steelers need a young starting cornerback with some speed and ball skills.

Wide receiver: Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward are the only experienced starters on the roster, and while Limas Sweed will step into the No. 3 role, the team needs to replace the deep threat it lost in Nate Washington (now with the Tennessee Titans).

Guard/center: The Steelers are high on their backups at offensive tackle, Tony Hills and Jason Capizzi, so Colon could move inside in a pinch. But ideally, the Steelers could use an interior swingman who can play guard and center and make the line calls. The team probably would be best-served to find an inexpensive veteran to fill the role after the draft.
    Last edited by Stlrs4Life; 04-04-2009 at 12:08 AM.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I agree with you on alot of points...
    Pitt needs OT help 1st 3 rounds would make it a priority.
    DE: to be phased in as eventual replacement for kiesel and a smith 1st 3 rounds also make it again a priority.
    CB: the talent this year is not stellar.. you can get a guy in the 2nd round that I feel is not much better than who would be available in the 4th round
    WR: I like a guy from Arizona mike thomas short speedy can do returns maybe get him in the 5th round or so
    C/G: This would preclude drafting Unger, Wood or Mack most likely in the 1st round
    my opinion....
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

My Mood
    Impatient
    I was actually disappointed in Kirwan's assessment. LeBeau has already said that he trusts Gay to start. So we do not need a starting CB. If Hill's is ready to compete and Essex is determined to break the starting rotation, our line will have competition to make them better. I would say O line is less of a priority then D line, but I still think the Steelers are in a position to draft the best available player in the first two rounds to make the team better for the future.

Thread Information