Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Steelers drafted Ryan Mundy

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

Why the Steelers drafted Ryan Mundy

Why the Steelers drafted Ryan Mundy

When profiling an NFL draftee, one often starts with his college playing days, maybe even his high school football career. But when talking about Pittsburgh Steelers sixth-round draft pick Ryan Mundy, that seems inappropriate.

To know what you need to know of Mundy, it would seem best to go all the way back to his pee-wee days, a time when he wore No. 34 for the West Pittsburgh Steelers. Back then, he could also sometimes be seen collecting donations outside of Three Rivers Stadium before the real Steelers played.

“Those are very good memories of my childhood,” Mundy says.

Before Mundy spent four years at the University of Michigan and another season starting for the West Virginia Mountaineers as a post-graduate, he attended Woodland Hills High School in Pittsburgh; there, he was a three-year starter at strong safety and wide receiver. A quick look tells you that he was more than pretty good in high school, too, as he was a USA Today second-team All-American here, among other honors.

Of course, there are plenty of high school players with potential promise who never deliver on the college gridiron. The good thing about the 6-foot-1, 215-pound Mundy is that he eventually did, even if it took him awhile to separate himself from the pack. Though things started off well at Michigan, where Mundy took control of a starting safety position by his sophomore season, a severely pinched nerve caused him to redshirt in 2005. Of course, that hurt his career stats with the club -- Mundy started 18 games at safety and finished with 86 career tackles and three interceptions for the Wolverines.

In his only season with the Mountaineers, Mundy did much more impressive work to the tune of starting all 13 games and accruing 62 tackles, three interceptions and seven pass breakups. That impressed the Steelers.

“When you talk to the people at West Virginia, they really felt that Ryan was a huge part of pulling their defense together," said Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "This is a very, very intelligent kid. A very mature kid that will have a nice chance to make this team.

The bottom line on the Steelers' selection of Mundy is twofold. First, with Ryan Clark coming back from a significant illness and Anthony Smith trying to find his groove, they could use more depth at the free safety position.

Second -- as is the case with college football recruiting -- the draft is an inexact science in that too much focus is put on measurables that do not necessarily have much to do with football. In fact, they tend to weigh as heavily as athleticism, desire and heart.

In Mundy, the Steelers have drafted a hometown kid who would love nothing more than to come through in front of those who watched him grow up.

"I'll do whatever I can to get on the field," Mundy said.

Enough said.

realfootball365.com

Love his attitude,,,,,,,,What an oppurtunity,bet you couldn't knock the smile off his face~~~~Wish him all the luck in the world

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Thanks Deb, enjoyed the article...sure hope this kid's dream gets to come true!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If he makes the team his mark will be made doing special teams initially. Carter is going to have his hands full in a battle this camp for that roster spot I would image. The kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders, I hope he does well!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I agree he will help on special teams right away....But nobody expected Darren Perry to start his rookie in 1992......He did and never looked back and Perry had a solid career.....I'm not saying Mundy will be the next Perry...But you never know....I like Mundy's attitude and he seems to be an intelligent player.....He has his shot so its up to him to make the most of it....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Carter is a pretty solid backup, for the most part, so Mundy will have his work cut out for him. With the way out ST stunk up the joint last year Tomlin is looking for guys to tighten that up so Mundy will have a good chance to make the team along with fellow rookie Mike Humpal. Throw in Mewelde Moore and Keyaron Fox and our ST should be significantly improved this year

Tailgate Coordinator
    I believe this kid makes trhe team. Like said, we lack depth at the position.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Addicted
    thanks 4 the post good read..........i think he will b something special eventually, the steelers got an steal here.

Draft Pick
    Great attitude

Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar
    they have to draft somebody. and its always good when its a local boy. either high school or college.

Thread Information