Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there too many offseason drills?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Are there too many offseason drills?

After reading this article it got me thinking, is Tomlin pushing this team too hard in the offseason to the point where they will have very little left for training camp and then end up burning out before the regular season is over?

Here's an exerpt..
    The Steelers today wind up their spring workouts, and that comes none too soon for wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

Holmes doesn't care much for all the football practices that take place in the "offseason" and would like to see coaches reduce the amount of time players spend on the practice fields from April into June.

Toward that end, Holmes called his own timeout over the past few weeks. He pulled on his practice jersey and attended workouts but did little on the field in team drills during that time. He stayed out again yesterday and said he won't practice in today's final session.

"Just a lot of soreness throughout the whole body," Holmes gave as his reason, "from all of these days going back to back, back to back. It's kind of like guys were expecting more time off during the offseason, but this offseason we've had more time in. It's taken a little wear and tear, now it's time to rest the body a little bit."
    I could go either way on this one; you want the players to stay in shape and remain focused but you also need to give them time to get away from football, heal up the injuries, and just generally relax before the rigors of camp starts up again.

Draft Pick
    I agree, give these guys some time off

There is no need to push them THAT hard. Obviously, tomlin want his team to be in shape when the season starts, but it wont help we start out good, if half of our players are injured or tired i december.

I guees it comes with experiance. How far can he take them without taking them too far.. Its a tough balance.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I believe there should be a mandatory off season regiment, but toned down and only serve the purpose of keeping everypone in shape. The money they make, that should not be a problem. Let practices begin in practice.

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Your talkin' bout Practice - AI quote

its not like they bust their asses at these things, its walkthrough ****

ok... I think my work load is too much here at work so I don't think I'm going to do much today because I have way too much work and it makes my head hurt. I think they (my bosses) need to lighten up my work load and while they are at it give me a raise!

Give me a break!!! These guys get paid millions of dollars to be in the best physical condition one could be in and to go out play football everyday of their life!!! That is something a majority of us only got to do as a kid and more than likely in high school... I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would do anything to be in the position these guys are. Mr. Holmes needs to just shutup, suck it up and get *** out there on the field and practice!!! What a big baby!!!

why dont you tell us how you really feel lol

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    why dont you tell us how you really feel lol
    It just bothers me to hear athletes making that much money bitch about practice when there is someone working at a fast food joint making minimum wage who shows up to work every day, does his/her job and doesn't say a word about it or COMPLAIN... they are just happy to have a job and a paycheck!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    It just bothers me to hear athletes making that much money bitch about practice when there is someone working at a fast food joint making minimum wage who shows up to work every day, does his/her job and doesn't say a word about it or COMPLAIN... they are just happy to have a job and a paycheck!
    AGREED I'LL CHANGE POSTIONS WITH ANYONE OF THEM!!!!!!!

Thread Information