Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Farrior keeps going and going

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_568209.html
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, May 19, 2008

Linebacker James Farrior is 33 but plays like he's 23. The oldest starter on the Steelers keeps going and going.

Farrior has made 38 consecutive starts, and he led the team in tackles for the fourth time in five seasons in 2007. His ability to be productive and remain healthy in a contact sport where injuries are commonplace is no accident.

When Farrior reports tomorrow for Steelers organized team activities, he'll look like he hasn't missed a beat.

That's because he's always working out.

Since the Steelers broke minicamp May 4, Farrior and some of his teammates have been training with noted speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw at Walt Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

"Some guys take five or six weeks off, and then they go to OTA's out of shape and have to train their way back in shape. James Farrior is doing stuff that other guys aren't doing," Shaw said.

Farrior has been a starter with the Steelers since 2002. He has recorded 100 or more tackles in five consecutive seasons, indicating a high level of physical toughness and conditioning for a player also known for his football smarts.

"Every year there's a new draft, every year there's somebody that wants to take his place," Shaw said. "Every year it's going to be tougher and tougher for Potsie (Farrior's nickname) to make that team, because every year they're bringing in a new linebacker. James wants to be in better shape than everybody on the team."

Shaw said the Steelers have more players train with him than any NFL team. Most recently, wide receiver Santonio Holmes, cornerback Ike Taylor and linebacker Larry Foote joined Farrior in Florida.

When the players reconvene in Florida following the Steelers' final OTA session next month, Shaw said he expects linebacker James Harrison and cornerback Bryant McFadden to join a group of about 40 NFL players.

"Ike moved here just to train. Guys that are coming down here are following Ike. James (Farrior) has been with me my whole career," said Shaw, who worked in a similar capacity with the New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints and was one of Deion Sanders' track coaches at Florida State. "Santonio was here before he got with the Steelers. Larry Foote was here before he got to the Steelers.

"The Steelers have a really good strength coach (Garrett Giemont). Some of the guys that come down, they're still doing the strength program and they're not trying to get out of anything. They still contact him. They follow his plan really well. It's just the camaraderie of the group all in Florida."

Most drills are relatively short and concentrate on developing speed, power, agility, reaction time and quickness. Holmes and other receivers are requried to run 10 consecutive pass patterns as a way of developing the stamina required to play in a game.

"He's doing 10 routes in less than one minute, 45 seconds, and then he has two minutes rest," Shaw said. "And then we're going to work our way to five sets so that he'll be able to run 50 routes, which he may not do in a whole game.

"One day we're doing speed work, the next day we're doing cutting with metabolics. We're training to be (position) specific so you can go back and last the whole season. It's stuff to get their bodies to recover."
    Farrior is playing at a high level, even now after he's been in the leage for so long. He's tough, instinctive, a leader on the field, good influence in the locker, just the total player you want on your team. He gives 100 percent every play and is as respected by his peers as you can get. Even with his contract coming up soon he's still showing he's got what it takes. It wouldn't surprise me to see him take a reasonable salary to stay with the team after next year. He doesn't strike me as the type that would demand some outrageous salary and burn any bridges with the team that he's had so much success with. Who knows if they'll want to bring him back next year or not but he's been a great player for us.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_568209.html
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, May 19, 2008

Farrior is playing at a high level, even now after he's been in the leage for so long. He's tough, instinctive, a leader on the field, good influence in the locker, just the total player you want on your team. He gives 100 percent every play and is as respected by his peers as you can get. Even with his contract coming up soon he's still showing he's got what it takes. It wouldn't surprise me to see him take a reasonable salary to stay with the team after next year. He doesn't strike me as the type that would demand some outrageous salary and burn any bridges with the team that he's had so much success with. Who knows if they'll want to bring him back next year or not but he's been a great player for us.
    Nice article and I agree with many points in your post.....

James Farrior had a very good year last year....So as long as he is playing at a high level.....I see no reason why the Steelers wouldn't bring him back......I think James wants to retire a Steelers also.....He has had his best years with the Steelers and it feels like ages ago that he played with the Jets.....

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    That type of training sounds very similar to what Troy's doing in Cali right now.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    I agree Farrior has been a good solid player for us....i guess he gets lost in the sauce because there's not much flash there.I've always enjoyed Potsie in the line-up and he will always be on the super-bowl run highlights pumpin his fist yelling " Here Comes The Bus, Whoo Hoot!"

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Draft Pick
    Farrior has been solid in the middle and he will continue to be this season.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Nice article and I agree with many points in your post.....

James Farrior had a very good year last year....So as long as he is playing at a high level.....I see no reason why the Steelers wouldn't bring him back......I think James wants to retire a Steelers also.....He has had his best years with the Steelers and it feels like ages ago that he played with the Jets.....
    Yeah I sometimes forget he even played for them, it seems like he's been here forever. He's not the flashy guy but just the one that brings his hard hat and lunch box and comes to work every week. With Timmons and Foote battling this year and depending on what happens in the draft next year with our MLB situation I'd like to see him return if he plays this year like has the last one. If he falls off though that will open the door for someone else. The guy is just as solid as they come no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    That type of training sounds very similar to what Troy's doing in Cali right now.
    its a fine line between sucking and not sucking

I hate it when they give out their secrets of what they do during the off season. Granted I'm sure others are doing it as well but you don't want everybody to know!

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Well, in this day and age, you can probably WATCH them work out on youtube......

Tailgate Coordinator
    Nice article. Always liked Farrior.

I'm A "Champion"

Thread Information