Thread: Bungals Release Thurman

Bookmark and Share
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

Bungals Release Thurman

Another Bungal who was afforded 9 lives .... bites the dust. Shame too, this guy had all the talent in the world .... if he only had a brain.

Bengals release ex-UGA LB Thurman

Dayton Daily News
    Published on: 05/19/08
    The Cincinnati Bengals released troubled linebacker Odell Thurman today.

"The NFL provided Odell the opportunity to earn his way back onto our team, but we have not seen the right steps taken by him" Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said. "With our offseason work in progress and new talent added at our linebacker position, we've determined it's best to keep moving in a direction that does not include Odell."

Thurman, 24, was not on the Bengals roster in 2006 or 2007, due to an NFL suspension for violations of the league's Substance Abuse Policy. The former University of Georgia player, was reinstated to the Bengals roster by the league on April 21.

Five days later, the Bengals took a linebacker, Keith Rivers, in the first round of the NFL draft.

According to profootballtalk.com, the Bengals cut Thurman in part because he missed last week's voluntary workouts. Thurman was in Georgia last week for his grandmother's funeral.

"He's still in Monticello (Ga.) taking care of things with his family," Safarrah Lawson, one of Thurman's representatives, told Bengals.com in a story posted today. "(Owner) Mike (Brown) and Marvin have been great to him. That's why this is shocking. This is really his last parent that has died."

The Bengals, profootballtalk.com reported, told Thurman to come back to town one day after his grandmother's funeral. Advised that he couldn't make it back, the Bengals said that he either had to return for the workouts or he'd be released.

Thurman, who played collegiately at Georgia, led the Bengals with 148 tackles as a rookie in 2005
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Looks like Marvin Lewis is really trying to clean out the closet full of trash in Cincy.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Doesn't sound like they gave him much time to grieve...it's almost as if they'd planned this, and Odell not returning exactly the day after was all the excuse they needed. But agree that they need to do some serious "house cleaning". I don't think they've done enough yet though...

welcome to cleveland or new orleans mr thurman

Or Oakland. Or Denver. I could really see them taking him.

I am sure they just wanted an excuse to cut him, but this a clear violation of the CBA. Plus Mike Brown is making himself look worse by cutting him for going home after his Grandmom died.

My Mood
    Addicted
    it's 2 late now marvin 2 try an be an disciplinary head coach don't u think?

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    If Thurman did not have the baggage I would love to see him in Black and Gold. He has talent for sure.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hopefully he can get his life back on track and his NFL career as well. He's got a ton of potential to be a good contributor on an NFL defense.

Thread Information