Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penguins threw the Flyers a Beatdown

Gold Standard

Penguins threw the Flyers a Beatdown

6-0

We are going to the Stanley Cup Finals

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Tailgate Coordinator
    UNE$%KIN believable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The quote of the day is when the one announcer said near the end of the game..." The Flyers need a touchdown to get back in this one".

Waterboy
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEAH!!!!!!!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Congrats to the Pens for an awesome season so far......Its not over yet and I really like this teams chances in the Stanley Cup....I say bring on the Red Wings.....I have tried my best to follow the team all year...Its hard getting the games out here...I'm getting the hockey package next year...

Well suddenly the Red Wings have allowed the Stars to make a series out of the Western Conference Finals. Maybe if we're lucky, it'll go to a Game 7 while our guys get some R&R.

How old are the prominent players on the Red Wings and Stars?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Out F'n standing!!! The Pens are on a mission and everybody is just playing inspired hockey. Everytime the Flyers tried to do anything they were swarmed by Penguins in every direction. This team has the potential to finish this and bring another championship trophy back to Pittsburgh !!

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

Open Letter to Versus

A real nice open letter to Versus by the guys over at Faceoff-Factor.com, Pretty much sums up the feelings of most Pens fans when it comes to the bias that we sense in the VS booth. When your team is dominating a series 3-0 and you STILL feel as if somehow the duo in the booth is against your team….it’s hard to ignore. If your team is down 3-0 you may feel that the announcers are piling on top of your misery while you watch the game…..but to be elated and FIRED UP all game long yet the announcers somehow noticeably drag you down….it’s time to write an open letter.

Written by Stoosh at FF and props to my bud Daggar over at postgameheros.com who shed some much needed light on this issue ...

Dear Versus,I tried. I really did.

I really wanted to like your hockey coverage. For real.

But you need to understand something. See, I come from the generation of fans who grew up with NHL coverage on ESPN and ESPN2. I was graced with the smooth stlyings of Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, Darren Pang and Tom Mees. Myself and most of the fans in my generation also watched John Buccigross and crew set the standard for hockey recap shows with NHL2Night. It was edgy, but not over-the-top. Even better, it was fair and balanced coverage.

So you can understand our concern when ESPN backed away from the NHL after the lockout, leaving the door open for OLN/Versus. But I shrugged my shoulders and said, “What the heck…give it a chance.” After all, I thought it was better for my favorite game to be broadcast by a network that really seemed to want it, and I was under the impression that ESPN was going to treat the NHL like a second-class citizen at the time.

I didn’t mind that original set you used, even though it looked like something that could’ve been broadcast out of my basement. I looked past those early broadcasts marred with jumpy camera shots, poor play-by-play coverage and intrusive graphics and interfaces. I chalked it all up to a network just learning how to broadcast a game, and I figured it would get better.

Unfortunately, guys, it hasn’t. In fact, it’s worse than ever.

Your camerawork is terrible – bad angles, inconsistent shots, shots that don’t mesh with the flow of the game. Would it kill your producers to stick with the same camera for more than five seconds? I don’t need behind-the-net shots as the play is going on. I don’t want the camera zoomed in on a particular player, especially when the play is going on and he’s not involved (sense a theme here?). I sure as hell don’t need to see the goalie going to the bench as his team in lieu of a pending powerplay or a shot at a late game-tying goal. Just tell me he’s left the net and keep the camera on the action, m’K?

I don’t care what Bill Patrick has on tap in the studio, especially when there’s a post-whistle fight going on. And speaking of in-game interruptions, can we save Christine Simpson’s 10-minute interviews for the intermissions? I really don’t care what Tom Glavine or the Umberger family has to say while the game is going on, and it didn’t seem like they were too thrilled with being interrupted either.

Now let’s talk about your announcers for a second. Mike Emrick is fine. He gets so excited, he could probably jumpstart a car from the booth. And he gets loud enough sometimes to challenge the decibel level of your average Metallica concert. But Emrick typically has a sense fot the game flow. Ed Olczyk usually provides color for Mike’s play-by-play and that’s all good now that Edzo finally seems to be taking fewer veiled shots at Craig Patrick for firing him.

It’s the OTHER crew that’s causing the problems. I don’t know what Pens fans did to Versus to merit this kind of torture, but Joe Beninati and Darren Eliot make Eric Dickerson and Beasley Reece look like broadcasting Hall of Famers.

Beninati’s tendency to get cute with his commentary and replace common hockey jargon with cute little terms of his own is bad enough. It’s a “powerplay”, not a “manpower advantage.” I hear him say “manpower advantage” and I think of a bad Village People video. And unless we’re getting play-by-play of a drug bust, those things the goalie wears on his legs aren’t “paraphernalia”, they’re just goalie pads.

Darren Eliot is a whole other ball of wax. Is this the BEST you could get for a color guy? He’s there to provide color commentary – not turn every semi-routine play into a Shakespearean act. When he and Beninati get together for a broadcast, it’s like an acute overdose of hyperbole.

But this Eastern Conf. Finals series has been the kicker for me. I can deal with bad commentary and stuff from time to time. But I have to wonder if “V-E-R-S-U-S” is some sort of goofy acronym for “Flyers Broadcast Network” or something. I’ve never heard a national broadcast tilted in favor of one team the way Beninati and Eliot have done in favor of the Flyers with this one.

Look, I’m well aware of the Pens’ status as the NHL’s New England Patriots. The Pens are one of the most talked-about teams in hockey and Sidney Crosby’s face is everywhere, and most non-Pens fans are probably sick of it. I’m not complaining about that. It doesn’t justify taking the broadcast in the opposite direction and practically cheering for one team. I could get watch a Yankees game on the YES Network with Hank Steinbrenner and Billy Crystal in the booth and get less tilted commentary.

And I’ve heard it advanced that money buys better talent, and Versus just doesn’t have a hell of a lot of money. Horsepucky, I say. Versus is owned by Comcast (which, coincidentally, also owns the Flyers…), and I’m sure Comcast has money to throw around if it wants to, given what they used to do to my cable bill (let’s just say there’s a reason why I reach for my DirecTV remote every time I turn on the television).

But is this what the NHL wants? I hope not because it’s turning people away. The NHL has a good, simple, entertaining product that doesn’t need to be overproduced. Not everything needs to be turned into a signature Al Michaels moment. And balanced coverage makes everyone happy.

Maybe it’s just time for the NHL to cut Versus loose. It’s nothing personal at all…Versus has tried and it hasn’t worked. The quality is second-rate, and the NHL deserves better. The fans of the NHL deserve much better.

So consider this our breakup, Versus. There might be times where I’ll still have to acknowledge you because you have exclusive rights to a Pens broadcast, but I’ll do so with my TV muted and my radio tuned to Mike Lange and Phil Bourque. Any delay problems will be small potatoes compared to the auditory torture of listening to another Beninati-Eliot broadcast.

Enough is enough.
    NOW .... BRING ON THE CUP!
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Out F'n standing!!! The Pens are on a mission and everybody is just playing inspired hockey. Everytime the Flyers tried to do anything they were swarmed by Penguins in every direction. This team has the potential to finish this and bring another championship trophy back to Pittsburgh !!
    2008 I think could be the year everyone envys the City of Pittsburgh.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    oh and.....

STANLEY CUP FINALS, HERE WE COME!!!!!
    Last edited by SteelCityMan786; 05-18-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    A real nice open letter to Versus by the guys over at Faceoff-Factor.com, Pretty much sums up the feelings of most Pens fans when it comes to the bias that we sense in the VS booth. When your team is dominating a series 3-0 and you STILL feel as if somehow the duo in the booth is against your team….it’s hard to ignore. If your team is down 3-0 you may feel that the announcers are piling on top of your misery while you watch the game…..but to be elated and FIRED UP all game long yet the announcers somehow noticeably drag you down….it’s time to write an open letter.

Written by Stoosh at FF and props to my bud Daggar over at postgameheros.com who shed some much needed light on this issue ...

NOW .... BRING ON THE CUP!

Great letter. Emrick and Edzo are no Lange and Bourque, or Staigy and Errey, but they are quite good enough. But Beninati and Eliot were ATROCIOUS. Whether it was glorifying Timmonen and Coburn to no end, as if they were both Norris Trophy candidates and having them back would make all the difference for the Flyers, or choosing to use the 2nd Pens powerplay of game 4 (after 4 Flyers' PPs) to talk about how great the Flyers were shorthanded, or saying something as ridiculous as "well now the Pens will just be content to lick their wounds and try to get a win at home" as Jordan Staal is singlehandedly bringing the Pens back and they're dominating play in the 3rd period. Even with the delay, it was better listening to Mike Lange and Phil Bourque than putting up with those inept not-so-secret Flyers fans.

But, fortunately we shouldn't have to listen to them anymore, as I'm sure Emrick and Edzo will call the Cup Finals.

6-0! LOL! I said back at the end of the regular season we would eliminate the Flyers. It just took a little longer than I expected.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information