Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "BOSS 34" will be back ...

Bookmark and Share
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

The "BOSS 34" will be back ...

It goes by different names and numbers, but every team has a Boss 34 package. The tailback takes a handoff, follows his fullback to the strong side and, if the hole is jammed, cuts back weakside as the OL cuts down the D-line and the LB's are caught in the wash and can't make the play.

The "BOSS 34" has defined the Pittsburgh Steelers since the days of John Henry Johnson in the early 1960s to Franco Harris in the 70's ... then again to the more modern era of Jerome "the Bus" Bettis in the 90's and into the new millennium. Say what you will about JB, but he was a punishing style of runner. Just when an opposing defense thought our running attack may have stripped them of their dignity, JB would take the hand-off late in the game and punch them square in the mouth while crushing their rib-cage, and leave no question in thier minds that we did. (see '05 snow game against Bears Brian Urlacher for directions on how this is done)

Folks, this is what I've missed about Steeler football since JB's departure a few years ago. This is also what I see Arians bringing back to Pittsburgh now that we have a back like Mendenhall. Without a doubt, Arians has "the heavy hammer" role in mind for MendenHUGE. Sure we will allow Willie a few touches here and there to tire the opposing defense (primarily in the 1st half), but make no mistake about it ...

The theory going forward will be a simple and trusted one: The defense will tire before the 227-pound MendenHUGE does.

This is why I'm absolutely stoked about this coming season. Can you imagine a "BOSS 34 POWER PACKAGE" with the Fighting Illini brothers (Davis/Mendenhall) in the backfield in the Red Zone?

Let's get it on already ....
    Last edited by Iron City South; 05-13-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wow, for once you made a post that most people can agree on

I look forward to the ability to not only throw in the redzone like we showed last year but also on goal to go situations inside the 5 to just line it up in a power set and see who's left standing. Last year we didn't have the ability to run near the end zone because teams would stack us up and our OL would get overwhelmed, stopping the play before it ever started. Thank goodness we had the ability to pass and do it well or we might not have scored anytime we sniffed the 5yd line. Now this year with 2 legitimate running backs we have the chance again to have a 2 headed monster and see who can stand up to who at the goal line. I am definitely excited.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Steeler fever is starting early this year folks!!!!!!

um, i agree?

Reppin' 724
    dammit....i agree

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by ejsteeler View Post
    Steeler fever is starting early this year folks!!!!!!
    man i can't wait untill the season starts

My Mood
    Frustrated
    There must be a virus on here, agree with ICS?!?! What is going on here? Nice post But I'm still not sold on Carey Davis in the backfield. Looks like StayPuff!

Ever since the draft Ive been geekin out. I know penguins hockey can only hold my Pittsburgh sports deamon in check for so long until IM ready for some FOOTBALL>

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    Nice post, But I'm still not sold on Carey Davis in the backfield. Looks like StayPuff!
    Agreed, I dismissed his play last year as "youth" .... He gets no pass this year. Ultimately, I'd like to see Kimo lining up in the backfield with Mendenhall and throwing the lead block for him.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

kemoeatu? really? you want him to run? lol

Thread Information