Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teammates prefer Clark in the lineup?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Teammates prefer Clark in the lineup?

Just reading this months Steelers Digest, the draft recap edition, and they had small piece in there about Ryan Clark and him coming back from his injury last year. They were saying how he's looking good so far, played well in mini camp, and they like where he is at this point in his recovery. One thing that stood out for me was when they quoted him he said: " the victory in it has been certain guys telling me how much different the team is when I'm out there and how happy they are to see my back out there".

Now maybe you can read into that and maybe you can't but the guy was brought in from Washington a couple years and was a very good Safety then working with Sean Taylor on a defense in Washington that was very good. Just something interesting to think about in the offseason that Anthony Smith has a lot of work to do this year and with Clark seeming to get more healthy each time he steps on the field, this is a pivotal time for both. Perhaps the team has lost some confidence in Smith to get the job done?

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Yea i was watching NFL replay the other day when we played Cincy and Smith was layin the lumber on Housh and Chad. But it seems like that is the only game that we all talk about when it comes to Smith, i mean look at his body of work and there's not much there then a couple of good hits. When Clark was in he's played very solid consistant football, just without flash. I guess we all want Smith to step up and be a badass and a consistant player..but at this point it's one or the other.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I still think Smith has a good upside and I'm certainly not ready to write him off just yet by any means. I think though he did play pretty well overall during the year but then he shot his mouth off; consequently got schooled by Brady, then got benched and just never really made any significant impact in crunch time when we really need everyone firing on all cylinders. Perhaps his teammates feel he's not ready to be the consistent player they need or maybe this whole thing results in a whole lot of nothing but either way it's interesting to hear Clark say something like that.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    I haven't ruled Smith out either...i would love for him to take over that spot, me personally i like him and his style. I can even live with a missed tackle here and there in trade for a de-cleater smashmouth hit. Sometimes plays like that energize the whole D and can be more of an impact than we realize.I guess i'm just greedy wanting the attitude and consistancy..and who knows maybe he'll get on that level this year.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Gold Standard

Love the attitudes

We have Anthony Smith who we all hope can someday bring his play up to the same level as his trash talk.

We have "Silverback" who is another playa with a tude.

To add to all that we draft Bruce Davis who from what I've read is "Joey Porter" reincarnated.

Can't wait to see all these guys on the field at the same time!

I like these kinds of players as long as they can control their emotions and not cost us games with unsportsmanlike penalties! Football is a game that is played with emotions. One of the things that many of the sports most famous icons had in common was the passion and attitudes that they played the game with. I am also a huge fan of the decleater hits!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There's no denying Smith is a monster at bringing the wood on an opposing WR when he gets the chance and that can certainly energize a defense and really an entire team. Having players with that trash talking, tough, mean, attitude is good for a defense; having a mix of quiet guys and mean guys really helps the defense stay competitive and level headed in the midst of a game. Having too many hot heads can result in a break down of concentration and mental errors becasue you get so fired up sometimes you get taken out of your game. Conversely having guys like Farrior, Polamalu, Aaron Smith, etc who lead by example and don't say much help keep the unit consistent. It works out well for us when we have that nice mix but we definitely need more consistency out of key players this year and Smith is one of them.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Clark brings consistency and level headed playing. Smith needs to learn a lot more before he's a player we can rely on every Sunday. Glad to hear he's gettin back to 100%, we need him.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

The thing that Clark brings is better field I.Q. I mean he plays a lot smarter than Smith and I can't remember him giving up a big play. We all talk about Smith because he's a hitter but believe it or not Clark hits just as hard as Smith. Just watch some the games he played. Smith lives for that big hit which hurts us in coverage, if you flash a receiver underneath and pump fake the ball Smith will take the bait everytime (New England). I think the coaches for New England ran that play all week with Anthony's mouth and aggressiveness in mind. Don't get me wrong a love Smith just like the next fan but I think he would best serve this team in special teams and some packges or to rest up Clark. With Smith on special teams he can use that big hit ability to make other teams and return men always wonder where he is when the ball is in the air which opens door for other special teamers to make the play.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

I like both players alot but smith has abilities you CANT teach. Closing speed, ball skills, and a killer instinct!! The "IQ" and "level headedness" can be taught in one offseason. Both guys can lay the wood but smith def has the edge there. Tomlin needs to take ant under his wing and teach him INS and outs of THI defense and let him create chaos within the scheme of this defense. Tomlin can't teach Clark to run faster... My vote is for smith but I think its once again ryans job to lose in the eyes of the coaches!

smiths skills are better imo, shut up about late last year because he was always a badass for us before the pats game. hes got better speed, hits harder and has better ball skills...hes just gotta learn the game more. hes a prick no doubt, but he brings alot of intensity and is only gonna get better...he hit a slump, but he'll bounce back

Thread Information