Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Camp Updates

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Tailgate Coordinator

Post Mini Camp Updates

Steelers | Team to hold five practices during minicamp

Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:25:49 -0700
    The Pittsburgh Steelers will hold five practices during the team's minicamp from May 2 to May 4. The Steelers will hold practices at 10:25 a.m. and 3:25 p.m. Friday, May 2, and Saturday, May 3. Practice will be held at 11:25 a.m. Sunday, May 4. All players on the roster will attend.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Smokin
    Thanks for the info

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Great stuff, our first chance to see the draft picks in action and see how the initially take their first practices in an NFL uniform.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Mini camp: Marvel Smith returns, Hill wears 66, Ward-Polamalu-A. Smith not praticing

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08124...?cmpid=HBEHTML
    Steelers Notebook: OT Smith back in lineup after surgery in offseason

Saturday, May 03, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
    Troy Polamalu is not practicing at minicamp as he is recovering from knee surgery.Back surgery often is not a good sign for a football player, particularly one who weighs more than 300 pounds.

For Marvel Smith, it was a blessing.

Smith had surgery in mid-December to remove a herniated disk in his lower back that was jammed against a nerve and causing a leg to go numb. It had bothered him much of the season but became quite evident Dec. 16 against Jacksonville.

"His left leg was numb and he couldn't even feel it," line coach Larry Zierlein said. "He'll go to the wall. I think his surgery gives him a chance to hold up. I'm not concerned about that."

Nor is Smith, who went through both practices on the first day of the Steelers' minicamp.

Dr. Joseph Maroon's December surgery should make for a better Smith in 2008. And that's one key to improving the overall play of the offensive line.

Smith felt like the lion who had a thorn pulled out of his paw.

"It's really unbelievable how much better I feel. Right after I had it done, the next day I felt better.

"Last year was the first time it affected me to where I had to block it out and not think about it and stuff like that.

"Before, it was just part of the game, [accepting that] I'm going to be sore for the most part."

Rookie released
    The Steelers released their first rookie, one of their most promising undrafted players.

Dorien Bryant, a punt returner from Purdue, failed his physical. The Steelers, who did not say why he failed, likely will sign someone to replace him.

Several NFL teams competed after the draft to sign Bryant, who is 5 feet 9, 175 pounds, and also listed as a wide receiver. The Steelers are trying to find someone to return punts and kickoffs for them, a job held last season by Allen Rossum, released this year.

Among the candidates are Mewelde Moore, signed as an unrestricted free agent from the Vikings to serve as third-down back, and wide receivers Willie Reid, Jeremy Bloom, who spent part of last season on the practice squad, and Santonio Holmes.

No. 1 pick unhappy
    Rookie halfback Rashard Mendenhall expressed some dismay over what happened to his brother, Walter, who left the University of Illinois football team recently.

Walter Mendenhall got a scholarship to Illinois in 2004 in what was regarded at the time as a package deal to get his younger brother the following year, and it worked.

"Yeah, they did not want him to return," Rashard said yesterday.

"He would have been a fifth-year senior but he is graduating from Illinois and then he will be at Illinois State, getting his one-year master's."

Mendenhall did not seem happy with Illinois nor head coach Ron Zook over the situation.

"Yeah it upset me. But to tell you the truth, with how things were, it didn't surprise me too much because it just wasn't in our favor over there."

Ward, Polamalu watch
    Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu had knee surgery after the season and neither is practicing at minicamp.

Both said they should be ready to go by training camp. Ward repaired tears in his MCL and PCL.

Polamalu also had a torn PCL but he said his surgery was more to clean up loose tissue and not to repair the damaged ligament because surgery, he said, would not improve it.

Defensive end Aaron Smith, who had surgery last December to repair a torn biceps, also did not practice.

Faneca's number issued
    The Steelers have been known to unofficially retire certain numbers by not issuing them.

That won't be the case for seven-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, who signed this year with the New York Jets as a free agent.

Rookie Tony Hills, their fourth-round draft choice from Texas, wore No. 66 yesterday.

Other rookie numbers are Mendenhall (34), wide receiver Limas Sweed (14), linebacker Bruce Davis (53), quarterback Dennis Dixon (2), linebacker Mike Humpal (55) and free safety Ryan Mundy (29).

Undrafted rookie quarterback Mike Potts of William & Mary was born in Pittsburgh and still has relatives, including grandparents, living here. His parents, who now live in Middleton, Del., are Thomas Jefferson High School graduates. He will wear No. 8.

New veterans' numbers include center Justin Hartwig (62) and running back Moore (21).
    No surprise that they issued Faneca's old number, I don't think any of us figured it would be held back with the likes Webster and others from the dynasty years.

Great to see Marvel Smith feeling better. Hopefully this year he'll be solid for us and give Hills a chance to get ready for 2009 because Smith will want too much of a payday to stick around.

I didn't realize Hines' surgery was so serious but hopefully he's ready to go by camp as he said.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 05-03-2008 at 07:04 AM.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Wow....I didn't know Ward's surgery was that bad either. In the past, I wouldn't be worried at all because of his ability to heal quickly. I can't say I'm not worried at all this time. He is getting older after all. The good thing is, he appears to have the attitude we need towards the new guys and that will make him a play maker even if he has to spend some time on the sideline.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    wow that's some bad news about Dorien Bryant, i was hoping he'd make the team as a Steve Tasker type special teams guru. How do you just come off a division 1 program and fail an NFL physical that quick?

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by ItAintEasyBeingPeazy View Post
    wow that's some bad news about Dorien Bryant, i was hoping he'd make the team as a Steve Tasker type special teams guru. How do you just come off a division 1 program and fail an NFL physical that quick?
    it's called weed.

Born in Steeler Country......Living in WhoDeyLand

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hines doesn't heal as quickly as he used too; it's good he had this surgery early in the offseason so he'll be ready to go by camp. He's taken a helluva beating during his career but he just keeps right on going like a warrior.

I don't like that they gave Hills Faneca's number. Not only should the number have not been reissued so soon out of respect for a guy who was one of our all time greats, but Hills has done NOTHING so far to earn it. He is no Alan Faneca, and until he proves he can be, he shouldn't be wearing that number. Not to mention it's alot of pressure to put on a guy.

And I read in the Post Gazette they gave out Peezy's #55 to someone again. Didn't they give it to Woodley last year but he changed to another #? Why are they so determined to use Peezy's number? lol
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    I don't like that they gave Hills Faneca's number. Not only should the number have not been reissued so soon out of respect for a guy who was one of our all time greats, but Hills has done NOTHING so far to earn it. He is no Alan Faneca, and until he proves he can be, he shouldn't be wearing that number. Not to mention it's alot of pressure to put on a guy.

And I read in the Post Gazette they gave out Peezy's #55 to someone again. Didn't they give it to Woodley last year but he changed to another #? Why are they so determined to use Peezy's number? lol
    because it's not their number, they didn't purchase it, they didn't invent that number......... plus there's way to many players on each team to be retiring or just not letting ppl use numbers............ and **** faneca and **** porter, once they sign with other teams they are no longer steelers, they are just ****tards
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information