Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers notes: Kemoeatu would start

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers notes: Kemoeatu would start

PITTSBURGH — If the NFL season started today, Chris Kemoeatu would be the Steelers’ starting left guard.

At least that’s the opinion of offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.

“Chris is going to get the shot,” he said. “I’ll tell you what, I have a lot of confidence in that guy.”

With perennial All-Pro Alan Faneca having moved on via free agency, there’s a vacancy at left guard for the first time since 1998. Last week during two organized team activity workouts, it was Kemoeatu who played the position with the first-team offense.

A huge, powerful man who goes 6-foot-3 and 345 pounds, Kemoeatu has the physical skills to handle the job. But he’s perceived as a player prone to struggle when it comes to learning and knowing his assignments. That perception was enhanced two years ago when he lost his playbook the night before Super Bowl XL.

As the story goes, Kemoeatu left a hotel dining room with a menu in hand while leaving his playbook behind.

A fifth-round pick in the 2005 draft, Kemoeatu was given the chance to win the starting job at right guard last summer in training camp, but couldn’t nudge out incumbent Kendall Simmons.

“(Chris) was ready to play last year, (but) Kendall kind of won the thing. But it was close,” Zierlein said. “When we came out of training camp and the pre-season games, the grades were close. But this kid is ready to play. I like him, I really do like him. I think he’s going to be a good player.”

Don’t be surprised if the Steelers’ offensive line next seasons looks like this: Marvel Smith at left tackle, Kemoeatu at left guard, free agent acquisition Justin Hartwig at center, Simmons at right guard and Max Starks back at right tackle where he started in 2005 and ’06.
    Well let's hope that he can hold his own on the field.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

If the steelers are planning on using that offensive line that would be the best line they have had in 3 years!!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Right now Kemoeatu will get the starting guard job pretty much by defualt. there's nobody to really fight im for the job right now other than Mahan. Regardless though he's got to come through for us and play well. We need stability on that side. The addition of Hartwig should go a long way to helping that cause.

I really dont think we have lost anything in pass pro going from Alan to chris-k, esp. the way Faneca played the past 2 seasons. Chris is a nasty run blocker, like feneca was, hopefully chris can do it consistantly like Alan could. Pair that with the fact that Hartwig wont be anywhere near as ****-poor as Mahan, our middle OL should be acceptable at worst. I really am not sold on Kendall Simmons and i hope they let Colon battle for that spot as weel as LG and RT!!! Its gonna be nice to see the battle for LBs and OL this year at Latrobe!!!

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    I really dont think we have lost anything in pass pro going from Alan to chris-k, esp. the way Faneca played the past 2 seasons. Chris is a nasty run blocker, like feneca was, hopefully chris can do it consistantly like Alan could. Pair that with the fact that Hartwig wont be anywhere near as ****-poor as Mahan, our middle OL should be acceptable at worst. I really am not sold on Kendall Simmons and i hope they let Colon battle for that spot as weel as LG and RT!!! Its gonna be nice to see the battle for LBs and OL this year at Latrobe!!!
    AGREED, chris will have an good year because he's an unristricted F.A after this year, so he'll b playing 4 an fat contract, i like the line with marvel L.T chris L.G an hartwig C an simmons R.G an starks R.T remember simmons an faneca had 2 help out mahan 2 much last year, we will b fine on the line next year, but i wouldn't mind seeing colon play right guard either...............

i really think tomlin wants colon on the field

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i really think tomlin wants colon on the field
    I really hate Simmons and Colon
    "Can I have a taste of that humble pie now?"

Draft Pick
    If the line is Smith,Kemoeatu,Hartwig,Simmons and Starks the line will be pretty good this year, As long they don't put Mahan back at center.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    It's an improvement from last year. Couple that with new blood in the run and pass game, we're talking post season baby.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    I felt that Max actually played better at LT than RT...of course it could've been that he felt pressured to perform, but perhaps he really is better suited to play LT.

Any way we stack it, I agree that (even with losing Faneca) we're gonna have an improved line.

Thread Information