Thread: Steelers don't want to dig out of a deep hole again

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers don't want to dig out of a deep hole again

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06276/726990-66.stm

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Their flat-screens filled with their next opponent as the Steelers yesterday began preparations for their game in San Diego. Players and coaches flipped on the game tape of the San Diego Chargers from Sunday, yet they could not help avoid the other team on their big screens.

The Baltimore Ravens.

The Ravens, who have been the Steelers' most-heated rivals for almost a decade, look as if they are over the hard times that left them 6-10 last season, their second in a row out of the playoffs. Baltimore beat San Diego, 16-13, and has shot to the top of the AFC North with a 4-0 record, 21/2 games ahead of the 1-2 defending Super Bowl champions.

"They're off to a great start," said defensive end Brett Keisel. "Everyone wants to start 4-0."

The good news from Sunday for the Steelers is that two teams are not 4-0 in their division; Cincinnati slipped to 3-1 after losing to New England at home. But as they head to San Diego, the Steelers know that they cannot let things get away from them early as they try to defend their NFL title.

"I feel like we have more of a sense of urgency because we're 1-2 and Baltimore's winning," linebacker James Farrior said. "Cincinnati lost, but they already beat us. It's not time to push the panic button, but we have to pick it up. We don't want to try to dig ourselves out of a hole this time."

The Steelers returned to work after three days off on their off weekend and found themselves not only in third place but only half a game ahead of the Cleveland Browns, who have finished last in the North Division the past three years.

"It's going to be tough to win this division," Farrior said. "You have three solid teams, and Cleveland's no slouch."
    It's good they realize the sense of urgency that's needed right now. Panic, NO ! But needing to step our game and intensity, most definately !

It seems to be that we play our best football when put in these situations!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Hearing that they might have been more preoccupide with the Ravens has me a little concerned now I'm sure they will be fine though!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's only natural that when you look up in the division and see your bitter, arch rival that you get alittle fired up. I don't forsee them looking ahead or being distracted because they know the only way to catch the division leaders is win and keep on winning. The rest will work itself out.

House of Steel
    Time to deliver a knockout punch to the Ratturds to let them know, HEY WE ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and your still our bitches. I am so sick and tired of other teams being the front runner. We need to get our spot back and NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    saints-hater
    It seems like we havent even played any football at all here the first month. This schedule the NFL handed the Steelers this season especially with these first 4-5 games of the year is just ridiculous. We have had only 1 Sunday 1 O Clock game so far in the first month along with a Thursday night game, then a Monday night game with an 11 day layoff in between, then a bye week, followed up with another freakin Sunday night game. Im not trying to make excuses and say the Steelers are out of sync because of this schedule but I definitely think to some degree it has had an effect on them a little bit. Im so glad after this week that the Steelers get back to playing every Sunday afternoon at either 1 or 4 for the next 8 Sunday's. These Monday night games,Thursday and Sunday night games and bye weeks and long layoffs in between this first month are very irritating and its about time the Steelers start playing here every Sunday afternoon so they can get back in some kind of groove.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG7 View Post
    It seems to be that we play our best football when put in these situations!
    Thats a very good point and I would agree with that. But you know what I don't know if my heart can take the Steelers getting in these situations anymore and I'm only 27.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    this is a most win and i'm glad they got the right mind set........however last year digging us in that hole was the best thing to ever happen to us cause we didn't go into the playoffs rusty, we went in on kill mode and finally ready...
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information