Thread: My .02 on our 1st round options

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

My .02 on our 1st round options

If Albert or Cherlius is there in the first round for them expect the team to go after Albert first most likely. Apparently their confidence in Chris K is not that great; his lack of quick feet to be able to effectively pull is the concern. If they can't get the top LT this year they may be content to wait till next year.

Don't rule out the option of Jonathan Stewart at RB. the team loves top skill position players and RB is an area that could use some versatility for sure. Stewart would be a great inside running presence they lacked.

Don't be surprised to see them trade down a bit in the first round to try and to land another 3rd round or 4th round. Limas Sweed's stock has fallen a bit to where most scouts are saying he might even drop to the 2nd round. If they think he'll last they could trade down a few spots and take him as the big WR that Ben wants. The Steelers are not afraid to trade down or up to get the guy they want in the first round but the lack of firepower to move up pretty my eliminates that thought.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If Albert or Cherlius is there in the first round for them expect the team to go after Albert first most likely. Apparently their confidence in Chris K is not that great; his lack of quick feet to be able to effectively pull is the concern. If they can't get the top LT this year they may be content to wait till next year.

Don't rule out the option of Jonathan Stewart at RB. the team loves top skill position players and RB is an area that could use some versatility for sure. Stewart would be a great inside running presence they lacked.

Don't be surprised to see them trade down a bit in the first round to try and to land another 3rd round or 4th round. Limas Sweed's stock has fallen a bit to where most scouts are saying he might even drop to the 2nd round. If they think he'll last they could trade down a few spots and take him as the big WR that Ben wants. The Steelers are not afraid to trade down or up to get the guy they want in the first round but the lack of firepower to move up pretty my eliminates that thought.
    If Chris Williams and Brandon Albert isn't there (which is very likely) then I wouldn't mind trading down with a team like the Falcons....The Falcons have extra picks and if they don't take Matt Ryan at 3 then they might want to trade back into the first round to get a shot at the next top QB.....

But if they stand pat at 23 and both Williams and Albert are gone then I could Cherilus, Stewart, Groves or Balmer being the pick at 23.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    From what I heard on FSN and what I read in a few draft papers they are really considering a guy like Sweed in the 1st depending on who's going to fall to them at 23. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if try to trade down and take Limas later in the 1st round if Albert, Williams, and Cherlius are gone . The signing of Hartwig and now the signing of Starks has lessoned the intensity of drafting an OL in the first by just a bit I think. If anything they might be thinking now of either taking Albert if he's there or else going for a skill position like Sweed or Jonathan Stewart

i could live with sweed, koop might flip **** though

Sirius's Pat Kirwin thinks we'll be taking Cherlius,,,,,,,,

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    From what I heard on FSN and what I read in a few draft papers they are really considering a guy like Sweed in the 1st depending on who's going to fall to them at 23. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if try to trade down and take Limas later in the 1st round if Albert, Williams, and Cherlius are gone . The signing of Hartwig and now the signing of Starks has lessoned the intensity of drafting an OL in the first by just a bit I think. If anything they might be thinking now of either taking Albert if he's there or else going for a skill position like Sweed or Jonathan Stewart
    Really after Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams and Brandon Albert there isn't an OL really worth taking at 23....I don't think Cherilus is horrible but to me he is a 2nd round prospect even though he will probably get drafted late first....

So drafting best available is the way to go at 23....But I'm really hoping they can swing a trade to move down and add more picks...

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    ....I don't think Cherilus is horrible but to me he is a 2nd round prospect even though he will probably get drafted late first....
    THANK YOU. YOU NEVER DRAFT A RIGHT TACKLE IN THE FIRST ROUND.

I would like Limas Sweed if he healed/heals properly from that wrist injury.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's a fairly safe bet that Otah will be there; even though they had in for a visit his stock has fallen as we've all pointed out. He's probably the biggest potential bust out of the quality OL available in the 1st 2 rounds. I don't even think he's really on their radar all THAT much anymore This draft is pretty deep at RB but man if things don't pan out for a good interior lineman at 23 and you can't trade down then take Stewart or Sweed assuming they are there and then hit up your interior lines in the 2nd and 3rd.

Thread Information