Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookies run rough route...expecting too much?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Rookies run rough route...expecting too much?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_473062.html

Dear proud (if perturbed) members of the Steelers Nation,
    I realize you would sooner see the Cowboys' star in the middle of Heinz Field than Ricardo Colclough returning punts. And that you have other concerns with the 1-2 Steelers, particularly regarding the passing game.

You shouldn't, for what it's worth, expect too much from first-round pick Santonio Holmes, and that's not a knock on the former Ohio State star.

History shows wide receivers generally play more of a supporting than starring role in their first season.

Consider that of the 45 wideouts taken in the first round of the NFL Draft from 1996-2005, only three had 1,000 or more receiving yards their rookie season. By comparison, nine of the 28 running backs drafted in the first round during the same span have eclipsed 1,000 yards rushing as rookies.

"Having to share (the ball) was difficult," said former Pitt All-American Larry Fitzgerald, who had a solid rookie season with the Cardinals (58 receptions for 780 yards in 2004) before breaking through his second year. "And the matchups -- the competition was a lot better."

Countless players have found that out.

Jerry Rice, the greatest wide receiver of all time, put up decent numbers (49 catches for 975 yards and three touchdowns) but hardly dominated his first year.

Cris Carter, who is second only to Rice in career touchdown receptions and receiving yards, caught just five passes in nine games for the Eagles his rookie season.

"There were so many things I didn't know and things I did well in college that didn't work in the pros," said Carter, who is now an HBO "Inside the NFL" analyst. "You have less time to get open because they put more pressure on the quarterback in the NFL. I would say that any nickel back (in the NFL) is better than any cornerback you ever faced (in college)."

The game is so much faster in the NFL that first-year wide receivers can feel like they've stepped onto a treadmill that has been set at the highest speed, as Hines Ward can attest.

"Here, we have guys studying every move you make, and you have to adjust on the run and be able to read coverages," said Ward, who caught 15 passes for 246 yards and no touchdowns as a rookie in 1998. "There's only been one receiver I ever saw that came in as a rookie and dominated the game, and that's Randy Moss. He just was a freak of nature as far as speed, height and just made plays."
    Well sure we expect alot from a #1 draft pick. A guy as highly touted in college as Holmes, we expect him to contribute in a positive manner as much as possible. I agree we can't expect him to lead the league in yardage and TD's but I do hope he's able to do enough for us in the return game and on the offense to gain some good experience that will carry him into his future with us.

The return game, I definitely expect a lot from him (unless Reid is activated)! But I'm not expecting much as far as the passing game though, just if the ball is thrown his way... catch it!!! In other words, if his number is called he better be prepared and make the play.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah that's pretty much how it goes, but you always hope your 1st round pick makes a big splash like Ben did.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I agree that alot shouldn't be expected from Holmes as a WR this year. But still its fustrating seeing a 7th round WR like Marques Colston playing very well with the Saints and Holmes not doing anything right now.

When it comes to the Saints though, they have a high profile receiver in Joe Horn (yes, probably higher than Ward). So he takes a lot of heat off the Rookie which has allowed him to make some noise. Once Wilson and Ward catch fire this season we will start to see why the Steelers drafted Holmes, IMO!

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    When it comes to the Saints though, they have a high profile receiver in Joe Horn (yes, probably higher than Ward). So he takes a lot of heat off the Rookie which has allowed him to make some noise. Once Wilson and Ward catch fire this season we will start to see why the Steelers drafted Holmes, IMO!
    Joe Horn isn't the same WR he was a few years ago. He is in his mid 30's now. Sure he gets his share of attention still. But I don't care if Colston had Jerry Rice playing next to him. For a 7th round pick to come and play well at WR is impressive no matter how you look at it.

I agree completely! The point I'm hammering at is Ward and Wilson haven't done anything to draw any attention away from Holmes yet. Ward doesn't even have a 100 yards for the season. Plus with Ben being in this cold spell you can't expect much from a Rookie when the regulars aren't even producing yet. Colston has a solid Qb who has been putting up solid numbers thus far this season, we won't even bring up Bens numbers right now.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    I agree completely! The point I'm hammering at is Ward and Wilson haven't done anything to draw any attention away from Holmes yet. Ward doesn't even have a 100 yards for the season. Plus with Ben being in this cold spell you can't expect much from a Rookie when the regulars aren't even producing yet. Colston has a solid Qb who has been putting up solid numbers thus far this season, we won't even bring up Bens numbers right now.
    I understand what you are saying totally. I agree Ward, Wilson and Ben havn't helped Holmes out much so far. But Holmes also looks lost out there at times. Seeing a 7th rounder having an impact for his team is fustrating while our first round pick looks lost. I'm far from giving up on Santonio. Just saying I think Santonio needs to step it up just like the rest of them.

Holmes seems to have great hands, hes only dropped some that were thrown behind him, i expect big things from him and Nate, especially with Wilson dropping so many, wilson is huge play potential and runs great routes but he does drop alot. Rookie WR usually struggle, the guy the saints got was a projected 3rd rounder...just no one would give him a chance...another example is greg jennings from GB who has been a superstar so far.

Troy Edwards had a relatively great first year with us...I think he caught nearly 70 balls and had like 800 yards or something, and we all see how well that turned out.

It almost always takes WR's a year or two to break...that being said, I think he'll have a pretty productive 1st year, comparitively speaking. If Ben can hook up with him on some deep passes (utilizing that sub 4.4 speed), and he can establish himself as a possession guy in year one, that's a good start.

Thread Information