Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Mike Tomlin Is Tired of Repeating Himself: Steelers Aren't Moving to 4-3 Defense

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    1,228

    Mike Tomlin Is Tired of Repeating Himself: Steelers Aren't Moving to 4-3 Defense

    Mike Tomlin Is Tired of Repeating Himself: Steelers Aren't Moving to 4-3 Defense



    Mike Tomlin has been the Steelers head coach for nearly 15 months, and one of the storylines that refuse to die is that the team will be going to the Cover-2 defense in the foreseeable future.

    ProFootballTalk.com points out that Pittsburgh conducted a private workout with former Miami safety Kenny Phillips, and if the club uses their first-round pick on him it "might be a sign that coach Mike Tomlin is laying the foundation for a change from the 3-4 to the Tampa 2 defense, since solid safety play is critically important to the success of the attack that helped get Tomlin the job he now has."

    Actually, it's a sign that the Steelers are a) worried about Ryan Clark's recovery from spleen surgery, or b) convinced that Anthony Smith isn't the long-term answer at free safety. It has absolutely nothing to do with an eventual move to the Cover-2. At least if you believe Tomlin: "A lot of people like to trace my origins to Tampa, Fla., but I coached a little football in college prior to that," Tomlin said at the NFL owners meetings. "I've been involved with a 3-4 defense, a 4-3 defense. The longer you coach, there's many ways to skin it. You better skin it in a direction that lends itself to your guys being able to do what they do best

    LINK




  2. #2
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I remember the heated discussions we had around here when Tomlin was first drafted talking about all the possibilities of if we'll change to a 43 or not and when. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lebeau is the best in the business and one of the original creators of the zone blitz concept, the team has been built for the 34 and we run it better than anyone else.

    Assuming we start filling these needs on defense to get younger and have more quality depth there's no reason to think we won't be a top 5 defense again this year. It's not like we don't play a 43, 34, cover 2, and all other types of combinations of NFL defenses week in and week out anyways because we do. One of the best qualities about a top NFL defense is not only being good at what you do consistently but also the ability to change up your looks and formations and still be just as effective if not more so.

  3. #3
    Reppin' 724
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC- But from Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    5,223
    I really dont see what the big deal is, like TG said, we give so many looks it's hard to call us a traditional 3/4 anymore.

  4. #4
    SA's Biggest Fan
    SteelersWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,901
    My Mood
    Stressed
    "The longer you coach, there's many ways to skin it. You better skin it in a direction that lends itself to your guys being able to do what they do best".

    That's pretty good lol

    But since I've had time to get used to having a new coach, it seems to make other changes easier to accept now. In other words, it wouldn't bother me whichever way we'd go--there have been some awesome 4-3's as well--including our own team.

  5. #5
    Tailgate Coordinator
    Stlrs4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Bedford, Pa.
    Posts
    3,956
    Well, leave it to PFT to speculate. They are always wrong anyways.

    I'm A "Champion"

  6. #6
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,257
    personally i think 43 is a pussy defense, and you cant possibly play pussy defense with the kind of LBs we have. But at the same time we dont really play a 34 we just line up and play badass defense. theres to many different looks to be called a 34 straight up. were pretty unique when it comes to defense

  7. #7
    Starter steelcityrockers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SJ4L
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    Well, leave it to PFT to speculate. They are always wrong anyways.

    What I don't get is, why no one gives Florio any credit. The guy has broken many more true stories than false ones. He has a lot of contacts that most websites would kill for. When he is wrong he admits it too.

  8. #8
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    personally i think 43 is a pussy defense, and you cant possibly play pussy defense with the kind of LBs we have. But at the same time we dont really play a 34 we just line up and play badass defense. theres to many different looks to be called a 34 straight up. were pretty unique when it comes to defense
    True, while most defenses swithc between totally different formations week-to-week, we stick to the 3-4 and creat mass chaos moving player to and fro the line of scrimmage!!!! The longer the sam guys are together in this system the better they will get.
    Im convinced Ant Smith will be a star over time... its not a question of his ability, its knowing where to be and when you have certain responsibilities!!! Its a lil obvious he hasnt totally adjusted to playing next to Troy(who is the busiest player on the field) But the fact that a guy, who doesnt completely know his role (like anthony doesnt) is getting on the field as much as he is, shows the coaches are really trying to get him experienced because he has the talent to be speacial!!! Hes hard hitting, ball hawking and very instinctive his problems are on paper, and thats something that a lil more focus (and having troy play a full season) can easily fix!!!

  9. #9
    JensK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Posts
    4,132
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    True, while most defenses swithc between totally different formations week-to-week, we stick to the 3-4 and creat mass chaos moving player to and fro the line of scrimmage!!!! The longer the sam guys are together in this system the better they will get.
    Im convinced Ant Smith will be a star over time... its not a question of his ability, its knowing where to be and when you have certain responsibilities!!! Its a lil obvious he hasnt totally adjusted to playing next to Troy(who is the busiest player on the field) But the fact that a guy, who doesnt completely know his role (like anthony doesnt) is getting on the field as much as he is, shows the coaches are really trying to get him experienced because he has the talent to be speacial!!! Hes hard hitting, ball hawking and very instinctive his problems are on paper, and thats something that a lil more focus (and having troy play a full season) can easily fix!!!

    I would just love to see troy back on track this season! im pretty convinced that would make anthony play better, since he wouldnt have to cover both his and troys job
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

  10. #10
    Draft Pick portcityblackandgold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    183
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    With the news that The Beast is starting at OLB this season any talk about the 43 should have gone away. Why would you change a defensive scheme that keeps your Defense ranked #1 year in and year out?


    Anutha fine masterpiece by the picasso of sigs K-Train

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cleveland Browns vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
    By StlersGuy in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 12:22 PM
  2. Who has league's No. 1 defense?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 08:13 PM
  3. Steelers, Tomlin Reflect On Pre-Season So Far
    By AZ_Steeler in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 12:31 PM
  4. Mike Tomlin vs. Cam Cameron
    By DIESELMAN in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 09:09 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 03:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •