Thread: Avril, Crable, Moore impress coaches

Bookmark and Share

Avril, Crable, Moore impress coaches

When Purdue defensive end/linebacker Cliff Avril visited Steelers headquarters last month, he did so under the cover of darkness.
    Avril's visit wasn't announced to the local media, as the team did with other potential high draft picks, such as Tennessee linebacker Jerod Mayo, Kansas cornerback Aqib Talib, Michigan defensive end/linebacker Shawn Crable and Maryland defensive lineman Dre Moore.

Teams are permitted 30 such visits leading up to the NFL Draft on April 26-27.

"I met with all the coaches, talked some football, met with the linebacker coach (Keith Butler). I guess they try to see how fast you can learn. Went through some film, see if I can pick up their defense, some basic stuff," Avril said. "I talked to (Mike Tomlin) for a good bit, actually. Real cool guy. He was trying to get a feel for who I was, what kind of guy I was. We just talked about football."

story continues below

Maybe Steelers officials didn't want media members to know Avril was in town because he might be high on their draft board. Maybe it was simply an oversight. Steelers officials typically don't discuss specific draft prospects.
    All 32 teams are informed when potential draft picks make official visits, so there are no secrets around the league regarding visits. That doesn't mean, however, that the Steelers have to inform the local media every time they entertain a player.

If nothing else, Avril's unannounced visit provided the Steelers an opportunity to learn more about a player they may consider drafting without undergoing the media scrutiny of where (or if) he fits in their plans.

One thing's for sure: Avril's skill set appeals to the Steelers, who want to improve their pass rush.

Avril is arguably one of the best pass rushers in this year's draft.

He measured 6-foot-3 and 253 pounds at Purdue's Pro Day last month. He ran a speedy 4.51 in the 40 at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, where he raised his draft stock considerably. At the combine, Avril posted the fastest time among defensive ends in the three-cone drill (6.90 seconds), which tests agility in open space, while finishing in the top six among linebackers.

"When I did OK at the combine, yes, that helped me. I think I did open some eyes with my speed and quickness. That was one question everybody had: how fast I was," said Avril, who also has visited Buffalo and Detroit and has plans to visit New England, Atlanta and Tennessee. "Since then, some of the teams have been more interested."

Avril played defensive end for the better part of the past two seasons after starting his college career at outside linebacker. He recorded a team-high 6 1/2 sacks and 15 tackles for losses with three fumble recoveries and a 43-yard interception return for a touchdown in 2007.

He compares favorably among current NFL players with former Purdue defensive standouts Shaun Phillips and Anthony Spencer, who play for San Diego and Dallas, respectively.

"The fact that I played defensive end my last year and a half, I guess they wanted to see if I could still drop back into coverage. I feel like I proved it a little bit," Avril said.

"If I was to compare myself to somebody, it would probably be Shaun Phillips. We have basically the same body type. Spencer is a little heavier than us. The difference is I played linebacker in college. They never played linebacker until they got to the league. I think that helps me a little bit more than them as far as getting used to dropping back into coverage."

Avril said the Steelers spoke with him about playing outside linebacker.

"In their defense, they want me as an outside linebacker, one that can rush (the quarterback) and drop back into coverage," he said. "It doesn't matter to me. I feel like I'm athletic enough to drop back into coverage and be a good pass rusher. I feel like I can do both."
    i would love them all lol

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Yea no doubt, be awesome to get some guys that can make an instant impact.
    I was watching a special on NFL network about the best draft class ever and of course it was us in 74, 1st 4 picks,all Hall of Famers.Never been done since.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Avril is a good player....I woudn't take him any earlier then the 2nd round though....Purdue has a track record of producing quality pass rushers.....Rosie Colvin, Shaun Phillips and Anthony Spencer.....I think Avril will be as good or better then those guys...But personally I still think Spencer will be a badass and I like more then Avril....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im pretty sure they knew the media would get wind of these players sooner or later but I'm betting these guys are atleast somewhere high on their wish list. The Talib pick is interesting because with McFadden in his last year of his deal and Townsend also they could be considering him as the replacement starting in 09. Im not sure I want a DB in the 1st round with our interior line issues but I certainly wouldn't hate the pick the more I think about it.

I wouldn't mind a DB in the firstg as long as it is not Talib. Trade up for DRC (if he does not fall due to his lack of a kidney) or pick Antoine Cason, if not trade down.

Talib or DRC.....thats it, no jenkins, mclovin, flowers, porter, cason. Talib would probably be the best for for us, but DRC is just gonna be to good

I like Jenkins much more than Talib. McKelvin is my #1 but he will top 10. Talib is slow, has mental lapses, and has unbelieveably bad footwork.

he does not have bad footwork, hes probably second to DRC when it comes to smoothness.

jenkins is a bum

He does have bad footwork. The combine magnified that. Why is Jenkins a bum? He has a record, that I know. However, he is a competitor. He never backs down. He has good size, and is a good tackler, and his speed though not great, is better than Talib's. He is a great man coverer, although his zone abilities leave a little to be desired. He is very physical.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    I like Jenkins much more than Talib. McKelvin is my #1 but he will top 10. Talib is slow, has mental lapses, and has unbelieveably bad footwork.
    This is probably due to all the dope smoking

Not in Da Burgh beyotch!!!

Thread Information