Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy Polamalu Is Not Cutting His Hair for Anybody

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

Troy Polamalu Is Not Cutting His Hair for Anybody

Just So You Know, NFL: Troy Polamalu Is Not Cutting His Hair for Anybody

So we know Herm Edwards hates hippies and all they stand for. But the unintended consequences of the the proposed "hair rule" is some players might totally disregard it. Like, say, Troy Polamalu. At least that's what former teammate Clark Haggans, recently on Fox Sports Radio, thinks:
    "Now they're diving into you got to wear your hair a certain way. I know Troy Polamalu is not going to cut his hair for anybody. He's going to grow his hair until the end of time. So with him, I don't know if he was suppose to rock a bun or something like that or go with a little scrunchy that girls wear. I know with him that's not going to happen because when he lets his hair out, its time to play. I would say it's personal preference. I mean you got players from the 70's that play in the NBA that have all kinds of afros, corn rows, and all that other stuff. Hockey has mullets. So why change your hair in football."
    Haggans makes a good point: Polamalu only "rocks a bun" during pregame warm-ups and formal occasions. Game time = go time*. And if hockey players can sport mullets, which presumably hide the name on the jersey, why is it an issue for the NFL?

LINK

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Troy's number is plainly visible on his helmet, and as of now, even on his jersey....don't really see why the name must be visible as well.

As long as they sign some sort of waiver that they won't hold the NFL financially responsible for head/neck/ (or whatever other injuries occur) as a result of being pulled down by the hair, then it should be player's choice.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This will never fly in the NFL, they tabled it in this years discussions at the spring meetings but the players association would have a field day with this in court if the NFL tried to make them cut their hair. Im with Troy on this one and any other player that feels the length of their hair is proportionate to their culteral or religious beliefs. The NFL has more problems to deal with than the length of players hair!

My Mood
    Chatty
    There is no way the NFL should make people go against their cultural beliefs! I wouldn't cut my hair either! You can see his number, who cares about the name!! First you can't celebrate in the end zone then they want everyone to cut their hair off and now what next?? Let them just play some freakin football and stop with the petty rules!!!!!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

I would not cut mine for the league either, but I sure as hell would tackle some one by their hair and not feel bad about it at all. It is fair game.
    This is NEXT YEAR!

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Quinn View Post
    I would not cut mine for the league either, but I sure as hell would tackle some one by their hair and not feel bad about it at all. It is fair game.
    I don`t Troy cares about getting dragged down by his hair!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Its not that he cares, its just gonna hurt like hell. It is not just Troy, a lot of running backs have long hair sticking out too. Josh Cribbs would get the same treatment before I let him run a kickoff back.
    This is NEXT YEAR!

I think its reasonable to be concerned about cervical spine injuries due to being tackled by the hair. And I think that the NFL does have an obligation to be proactive in player safety issues. Some times they do need to be protected from themselves. Why can't he just tuck it into his jersey?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think anybody would fault them for the just bringing it up as a concern to the teams, maybe showing some videos of potential injuries, education on the subject, etc. but try and force them to cut their hair is just asking for trouble. When it comes to culture and religion individuals are hard core about and those players will pay the fine every week if they have to. They'll pay a fine for throwing a ball into a stand or wearing a jersey number that wasn't assigned to their position so you know they'll pay the fine if that's what it comes down to if the NFL wants to continue this.

You make a good point, Hawk. But there should be some room for compromise, here. I think Troy or other players have to learn to tuck the hair into their helmets some kind of way.
    "Commitment to the team - there is no such thing as in-between, you are either in or you're out."-Pat Riley

Thread Information