Thread: DA drops domestic charges against Steelers' Harrison

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine

DA drops domestic charges against Steelers' Harrison

http://www.centredaily.com/news/brea...ry/502453.html

By JOE MANDAK- Associated Press Writer

PITTSBURGH — Prosecutors on Thursday dropped domestic violence charges against Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison.

An assistant Allegheny County District Attorney told a judge of the decision before a Harrison's scheduled preliminary hearing on charges of simple assault and criminal mischief.

"He has entered domestic abuse counseling. The victim did not request any further restitution and the victim did not wish to pursue further prosecution," said Mike Manko, a spokesman for the district attorney.

Harrison, a 29-year-old All Pro, was arrested March 8. Police said he hit his girlfriend, Beth Tibbott, 29, at her home in Ohio Township, west of the city. The Steelers have said the couple were arguing about whether to baptize Harrison's son.

Harrison told police he and Tibbott argued and that he then broke through her bedroom door, slapped her in the face and snapped her cell phone in half, according to a criminal complaint.

Defense attorney Robert DelGreco Jr. said Harrison has completed anger management and psychological counseling which likely would have been required had the case been tried in court. The couple are trying to work out their differences, DelGreco said, and he confirmed that Tibbott did not want the case to move forward.

The judge approved the decision to drop the charges because, "James Harrison was a first-time offender having no history of violent crime in his background and that he attended an appropriate protocol for anger management," DelGreco said.

Harrison and Tibbott both appeared for the hearing, arriving separately. Neither commented before or after the hearing.

Harrison is the second Steelers player to face domestic violence charges this year.

Backup wide receiver Cedrick Wilson was released last month after he was arrested on simple assault and other charges for allegedly pushing and punching his estranged girlfriend at a suburban restaurant lounge on March 20.

The Steelers have said Wilson was released, while Harrison was not, because Wilson had a history of domestic violence with the woman, including an argument that resulted in her holding police at bay with his gun, did not immediately express remorse, or take responsibility for his actions.

Great News,,,,,,,,

Hope he's realizes his huge mistake & keeps his hands off woman and puts them on our competition !

My Mood
    Addicted
    Good news....the fact that he voluntarily entered counseling shows he knows he ****ed up. Hes a good guy, I doubt you'll hear his name again other then "Silverback sacks the QB again"

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

...good for him...move forward and improve himself...this should be well behind him by the season...keep it toward the positive JH!
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Steel City Mafia # 632
    This is real good news, get it out of the way early so James can come into this season with no distractions.With Woodley drawing some attention Silver back is goin to run wild.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Right on, way to go James ! Hopefully this can be put behind him and we can forget about this from here on out. Fortunately the chick isn't pressing any further charges so that's a big plus.

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghNation View Post
    Great News,,,,,,,,

Hope he's realizes his huge mistake & keeps his hands off woman and puts them on our competition !

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm wonder if there was a pretty nice chunk of change that found it's way into her pocket to drop the charges after he agreed to undergo counseling. I'd like to think she just forgave him after the incident since he's seeking help but in this day and age money can "forgive" an awful lot of things.

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I'm wonder if there was a pretty nice chunk of change that found it's way into her pocket to drop the charges after he agreed to undergo counseling. I'd like to think she just forgave him after the incident since he's seeking help but in this day and age money can "forgive" an awful lot of things.

you know there was money involved. ..sad but true

Thanks for the sig Flea

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Call me naiive. I prefer to think that they are trying to resolve things between them just like the article said. Good to hear that he seems to be taking it all seriously. Hope this is the last of it.

Thread Information