Thread: If McFadden beats out Townsend...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb If McFadden beats out Townsend...

It could work out very well with this team overall. I was reading in the new Steelers Digest and they were talking about the possibility of drafting a CB in April. Taylor is a starter and he's got all the physical tools but still needs to get better at understanding the game; he's worlds better than he was in 2006 when Cowher benched him. Townsend isn't getting any younger but right now he's still the best pure cover guy we have. If McFadden can finally step up and beat out Townsend for the job it would allow Gay to step up the main backup role and allow Townsend to help out at Safety, with depth. He would make a great FS IMO; he's got great coverage skills and has a nose for the ball. Either way we end up with a versatile veteran who could step up and play either position for us if necessary.

In this day and age if you can gave 4 solid CB's you're doing pretty well but more realistically you usually have 3 good ones and 4th as a project / special teams standout. Gay did very well last year and he could make some noise in camp for more playing time. It will be interesting see how our secondary plays out because McFadden is in the last year of his deal and so is Townsend. The team probably won't have a problem re-signing Deshea to say a 2 yr extension to help teach the young guys and be a good veteran presence back there. McFadden though, if he doesn't step up this year he might find himself the odd man out after 2008 where Gay or a draft pick this year could step right in.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Agree with your point that they've GOT to find a way to get Gay in the gameplan this year. I don't care how they do it, he's a playmaker that has a nose for the ball. You can't put handcuffs on these kind of players.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Reppin' 724
    I agree with it all, except saying that Townsend is our best cover guy. I think Ike takes that hands down. He blankets receivers.

Deshea is probably the best overall corner, in terms of being able to read D's and actually tackle a guy, plus unlike Ike, Deshea has a decent set of hands.

I'd like to see McFadden beat him out though, it never hurts to get younger. Gay does need to get on the field.

ikes our best cover guy hands down overall. deshea is a solid guy in man to man coverage though and he does catch the ball which lets people think hes our best guy

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    It would be nice for McFadden to beat out DeShea....I have been waiting the last two years for McFadden to become a starter...Credit to DeShea for playing well and keeping his starters role...I hope McFadden takes the next step this year....He has the talent....Its time for him to shine.....

As for William Gay...I liked the pick when it happened and Gay did show something his rookie year...He was a play-maker at Louisville so no surprise he has a nose for the ball....

You always have to look for a corner in the draft...You can never have enough quality cover guys....But its not a huge need....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Overall Ike has may have more talent and is a faster player as well but he's still young and has room to grow; Deshea understands the game a lot better because of his experience; that's really paramount and he's done a great job for us. I've always liked Townsend, he's been a team player who rarely gets in trouble and just does his job.

If McFadden can just stay healthy I think he's got a real good shot but at this point I don't know that the team will be giving him an extension just yet.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Has anybody heard of any news of talks going on with McFadden? I would think at this point they are happy to let his deal run out unless they are waiting till closer to camp to get him a new deal. It could be that they may be looking to the draft for some depth and also for Gay to step up to the plate for more time.

Tailgate Coordinator
    I agree TG. Always did like McFadden, was disappointed that he hasn't done so already. Always liked Deshea also.

I'm A "Champion"

Thread Information