Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These upcoming owners meetings are no joke...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

These upcoming owners meetings are no joke...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08089...?cmpid=HBEHTML
    Saturday, March 29, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The late Art Rooney Sr. told a story about the first time the NFL held its annual meeting at the posh Breakers hotel in snooty and mega-rich Palm Beach, Fla.

The Chief passed a wealthy couple strolling the grounds of the magnificent old-money hotel and overheard the wife ask her husband something like this: "What is all this riff-raff doing here?"

"My darling," Rooney quoted the husband's response, "the hotel has allowed those NFL people to hold their meetings here this week."

The NFL returns to The Breakers for its annual meeting, which opens today, and times have changed. Now, it's the NFL "people" awash in so much money they don't know quite what to do with it. And that has become a problem for the league, again.

Although not on the agenda for any votes, the league's collective bargaining agreement and revenue-sharing plan will serve as the elephant in the room for meetings which last through Wednesday.

Small-market owners are set to end the current arrangement with a vote in November to curtail the CBA and possibly throw the league into chaos by 2010. The CBA, extended in March 2006 in a last-minute compromise, would expire after the 2010 season if at least nine owners vote against it in November -- something that's considered a fait accompli at this point.

If so, the salary cap and revenue sharing could go the way of Major League Baseball, circa 1993, and turn what has been American sports' model pro league into bedlam among the haves and have-nots and those in between.

Despite its success, the NFL and its teams are more than $9 billion in debt, according to a story in SportsBusinessJournal.com March 17. The magazine reported that 25 percent of that debt is tied to stadiums being built in New York and Dallas, each pegged at more than $1 billion to construct. Unlike when the Steelers built their stadium, the NFL has in place a program called G-3 in which the league -- and thus all its teams -- loan money to other teams to build stadiums.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants to reduce the league's debt.

"There's a growing concern in the league about the amount of debt," Steelers president Art Rooney II said. "A lot of it has to do with the stadiums and the cost of stadiums now. The cost of these stadiums has really just gone through the roof. People are building stadiums that are 4, 5, 6 times more expensive than the one we built, which is less than a decade old. It's been skyrocketing and the debt has gone with it and it's a concern."

Couple that concern with teams such as Jacksonville, which is among the bottom revenue generators in the league yet has to pay almost as much as the high-revenue teams such as Washington, Dallas and New England under the salary cap.

Teams like the Jaguars would welcome the elimination of the salary cap because it would mean they no longer were required to pay the salary floor, which is 85.2 percent of the cap -- $116 million vs. $98.8 million. The floor rises 1.2 percent per year until it reaches 90 percent.

Individual teams under the "model" sports league are losing money despite all the wealth in the NFL. If there is no cap, a team such as Jacksonville can stop having $100 million payrolls and go the way of baseball's Pirates if they like in order to survive.

When they vote to opt out of the CBA in November, there would be no cap for the 2010 season and the last draft would be held in 2011. While it's more an owner vs. owner issue, the players are watching intently and, at some point, an ugly labor situation could arise through a lockout or strike.

"I think it's fair to say that the damage a work stoppage does is something that I think both sides always try to work to avoid," Rooney said, "and, hopefully, that will be the case this time around."

Goodell has placed a gag order on NFL employees, forbidding them to enter the debate about the CBA other than in general terms, but it is on everyone's mind.

"A great deal of analysis is going into our CBA," said Ray Anderson, the NFL's vice president of football operations. "Certainly, under circumstances, you would prefer there not be a lot of discussion out there for strategic purposes, but I'd have to leave it to [NFL attorney] Jeff Pash to respond beyond that."
    I never realized the NFL was so far in debt...these teams building these lavish stadiums and using so much of the NFL's money needs to stop. There's nothing wrong with taking a loan for it I guess but it obviously creating problems now. If the salary cap goes away the league will go down hill in a hurry; every small market team will become the Pirates if they aren't careful and every big market team will become the Yankees and we'll have this league that will be a shell of it's former self. The NFL as we know it could do a complete 180 turn.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Heading towards a lock out get use to it now.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The funny thing is that it's the smaller market teams that are mostly the ones griping about a salary structure....so I guess they figure they'd rather be a bottom feeder and suck all the time with a small payroll and little talent rather than actually stay competitive like they are now where the playing field is more even atleast on a financial level. If we get a no salary cap year the big teams will sign everybody, the smaller teams won't be able to compete and it's going to be an ugly ***, boring league where the same teams win all the time because they snatch up all the good players as soon as they are free agents.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Its going to get ugly....Leave it the Cowboys and the New York teams with their lavish stadium plans to ruin the NFL even more....Plus if the Jags think they can compete without a salary cap then they're mistaken....Once their good players become FAs they won't be able to resign them...

If the cap goes away...The Steelers and the rest of the small market teams might as well drop out of the NFL and start their own league...

Reppin' 724
    The Steelers make enough money. I won't be worried about them w/o a cap.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    The Steelers make enough money. I won't be worried about them w/o a cap.
    They make money Tee, but can the Rooney's compete with Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and Daniel Snyder? I think they would be hard pressed to compete with them....The Steelers did have the 9th highest pay roll in the NFL last year...Just throwing that out there as well....

Reppin' 724
    I think they would...the fans would be forced to put up some cash though. Which we have been doing with the Bucs for years, and they suck...

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    I think they would...the fans would be forced to put up some cash though. Which we have been doing with the Bucs for years, and they suck...
    I just think without a salary cap...owners like Jones and Snyder might start paying players 50 million a year...lol Rooney's would never pay that....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    A league without the NFL would force traditionalist teams team Pittsburgh to really rethink their strategy in the NFL. Right now with a cap there's only so much money teams can spend on players and the Steelers know what those players are worth in the FA market today. If there is no cap and they realize a player can get 15 million more than what he's really worth just because somebody out there will pay it then they'll have to either dish it out or let the talent walk. Let's face it in this day and age there aren't many Hines Wards that will take less money to stay with their original team. Hometown discounts will be few and far between.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    It also has to do with the revenue teams generate. The patroits, skins, cowboys, eagles, are cash cows when tapping other revenue streams to and put that towards there football operations. Teams like the cardinals, bengals, and such are not. The cap goes bye. You might as well call the NFL major league baseball.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Thread Information