Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guards are often overlooked.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I agree. I don't think our need at guard is as urgent as the need at tackle. We still don't know Max Starks status, Colon is better suited at guard, Smith has a recurring back problem and we have no depth at tackle. IMO there are 3 OT's in this draft who have the nimble footwork to play LT. Those would be Long, Clady and Williams. If by some stroke of enormous luck any of those 3 should fall to us I would rather have them than Albert since LT's are harder to find. I think the rest of this years class of tackles are RT's at best.
    Clady is my top OT in this draft.....I like him more then Jake Long....I also follow Michigan football...So I also like Jake Long...I just like Clady more...But I never thought the Steelers had a real chance at Clady so I never considered him at 23...I was hoping for Williams at 23 but I don't think he will be there at 23 now either...Thats when I started hoping for Albert and its looking he will be gone by 23 now to...lol I'm giving up on OL in the first round now...lol

Groves, Kelly, Talib, Merling.......Any of those four and I would be fine with it....With the top OL being gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Good point about Benedict....I would have no problems with Nicks, Collins, Cousins or even Richardson being drafted....

I would expect Nicks to be a 2nd rounder...Some think late first round...I dont' think he gets picked that high....

Collins is a 2nd to 3rd rounder...

I would think Cousins and Richardson are 3rd to 4th rounders....

Would you agree with these draft projections Ktrain?
    Nicks and collins in the second, cousins and hills fall into that 3rd round category. and im not to sure about richardson, i was thinking 5th round.

I think baker has underachieved himself into the second round, in which case i would have no problem drafting him, as a first round pick i would be beyond furious

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Starks is the x factor in all of this..if they can get him signed to a long term deal they may try and focus more on Albert..if they can't get him signed to a long term deal then they focus mainly on Tackle in the 1st round. Either way T is a huge need mainly because of both Marvel and Max. Drafting Faneca was brilliant and he payed dividends his entire career..the Simmons move was good too until he was diagnosed as a diabetic and then blew out his knee..the following 2 years he just wasn't the same. Either way at this point Guard & Tackle are both huge for us but we do have more depth readily available at Guard on the roster now.

imo our oline isnt as bad as we sometimes make it out to be and reaching for a scrub in the first round would be retarded

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Nicks and collins in the second, cousins and hills fall into that 3rd round category. and im not to sure about richardson, i was thinking 5th round.

I think baker has underachieved himself into the second round, in which case i would have no problem drafting him, as a first round pick i would be beyond furious
    I agree with you on Sam Baker...He isn't a first rounder.....But second round he would have great value...Its really about value...Thats why I hate reaching....Richardson in the 5th round would be sweet....Would have no problem with that...

lets not forget about rachel, shuening and young either...they are all possible second or third round picks and anything we can do to sure up both lines will help.

Not real big on rachel, but i think all usc players turn out to be fags and big disappointments so dont let me be to convincing about him lol

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Clady is my top OT in this draft.....I like him more then Jake Long....I also follow Michigan football...So I also like Jake Long...I just like Clady more...But I never thought the Steelers had a real chance at Clady so I never considered him at 23...I was hoping for Williams at 23 but I don't think he will be there at 23 now either...Thats when I started hoping for Albert and its looking he will be gone by 23 now to...lol I'm giving up on OL in the first round now...lol

I have seen a couple mocks where Clady fell beyond the 23rd spot. There is some hope. Some teams don't draft what they indicated their top need was leading up to the draft. It's like a poker game at this point where teams are playing diversions and hoping other teams buy into their deceptions. Perhaps we will all be pleasantly surprised with our options at 23.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

clady will be a cheif

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    imo our oline isnt as bad as we sometimes make it out to be and reaching for a scrub in the first round would be retarded
    Agree with you there K. It all starts in the middle and we all know once that falls apart, the line as a whole looks like someone knocked over the domino's. Once we strengthen the C position, Hartwig is a band aid for now, I'm just hoping Starks finally lives up to his physical qualities, Smith comes back 100% and we do draft at least 1 OT and 1 OG for the future (1-2 years)

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Richardson should go in the 3rd. Whether he does or not I am not sure but he had a pretty solid career at Clemson. King Dunlap from Auburn and Franklin Dunbar from Middle Tennessee State are also projects who could pay off.

Here is a 7 round mock draft that I was a part of (I was Falcons/Raiders GM)
    http://www.newerascouting.com/home/2...gm-mock-draft/

Richardson does go in the 3rd here I think.

Thread Information