Thread: NFL may change free-agency rules

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

NFL may change free-agency rules

With the annual meetings set to start Monday in Florida, the league held a teleconference Wednesday to discuss some of the proposed changes by the competition committee. One proposal involves the creation of a five- to seven-day dead period before free agency during which teams could talk to the agents of the players, but not to the free agents themselves. During the period, a contract could be negotiated but not executed.
    One you've probably heard by now is the proposal put forward by Kansas City to legislate that players' hair not cover their jersey nameplate or numbers. Doesn't mean they have to cut their hair. Players would be allowed to pull their hair up in a way that does not obstruct the name or numbers. Don't know about you, but this gets to the heart of the reason we call it the No Fun League (NFL). Why is a rule of this nature necessary? Because the NFL doesn't like identity. It's why the league has someone stationed at every stadium to spot uniform violations and suggest players not in compliance be fined.

A more reasonable proposal, which I believe the competition committee is recommending, would eliminate the force-out rule on sideline catches. Currently, if a player is pushed out while attempting to make a catch on the sideline, officials can rule that the player was forced out. It's a tough judgment call that usually results in a lot of disagreement. The proposal rule streamline the rule so that the only time a force-out would be applicable is when a player is pulled out of bounds. Sounds like a good idea. Basicly saying you have to hold them while they're going out of bounce also.

Another proposal would expand instant-replay rules to include field goal, a move that was prompted by a controversial kick last season. If the question pertains to whether the ball cleared the crossbar or whether it passed inside or outside of the upright, this proposal would allow the kick to be reviewed. The only scenario where it would not be allowed is to determine whether a kick that passed OVER the upright is good or not. Those will remain a judgment call for officials. Must be talking about the Browns

One other interesting one is a push to do away with the 5-yard facemask penalty, which currently is called when a player "grasps" a facemask. If passed, the proposal would remove that penalty and leave only the 15-yard violation, which requires that a facemask be pulled, twisted or turned.
    I wonder if this would include the Coaches also.
    Last edited by Captcoolhand; 03-28-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

That is similar to what the NBA has and I think it is a good idea.

Sounds dumb to me... Even though they hire an agent to represent themselves I don't think I would trust the agent enough for my best interest

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Sounds dumb to me... Even though they hire an agent to represent themselves I don't think I would trust the agent enough for my best interest
    well if you can't trust them then why did you hire them.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

There's a certain degree of trust... I would trust them to go out and get an offer and bring it back to me to discuss it, but I wouldn't want him/her to negotiate my contract without discussing it with me. It's kind of hard to explain

There's a certain degree of trust... I would trust them to go out and get an offer and bring it back to me to discuss it, but I wouldn't want him/her to negotiate my contract without discussing it with me. It's kind of hard to explain
    I''m sure the player is involved in the whole process. He just does not have any direct contact with the team or signs anything until the freeze period is over. There is just a verbal agreement made between the team and the player (via the agent).

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    well ya that way i can understand, but i'm sure it would be nothing more than laying my case on the table and seeing where both side stand so that it could better determine where I,The player might want to go.
    -unknown

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I say get rid of all replays, and get rid of all rules....no blood, no foul

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    ya and out of nowhere foreign sharpie or allowed
    -unknown

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Spoken like Jack himself

Thread Information