Thread: Is Ben the victim of Stress disorder?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Is Ben the victim of Stress disorder?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_472977.html

Something appears not to be right with Ben Roethlisberger.
    It shows in the passer rating that through two games is roughly a third of what it was in 2005. It shows in dubious decisions such as when he tried to force a pass to tight end Heath Miller in the end zone last Sunday in a 28-20 loss to the Bengals.

And it may even show in the way he laughed off a question about what the cumulative effects of two traumatic incidents have had on him and, by extension, his play.

"The doctor said nothing's wrong with my brain," Roethlisberger said, "and it seems like I'm having brain farts out there."

Yet, there may be forces at work that not even Roethlisberger can comprehend, forces that have led or at least contributed to the two subpar showings he has recorded in consecutive Steelers losses.

One psychiatry expert said Roethlisberger may be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which can lead to feelings of anxiety and being overwhelmed.

Another said the adrenaline that has always worked for Roethlisberger may now be working against him due to biological changes over which Roethlisberger has no control.

One thing that can not be disputed is Roethlisberger has been through a lot since becoming the youngest quarterback ever to win the Super Bowl.

A little more than three months after celebrating his 24th birthday in March, Roethlisberger lost his aura of invincibility and nearly his life in a motorcycle accident. His injuries included multiple facial fractures and required seven hours of surgery at Mercy Hospital.

He reported to training camp in July on time, but less than a week before the Steelers' season opener, Roethlisberger had an emergency appendectomy.

"You start adding up his trauma, somewhere you've got to figure his stress level is increased," said Dr. Ron Knause, a sports medicine psychiatrist who is based in the Tampa Bay area. "Without a doubt."
    I would think it's gotta affect him somehow on some level but Im not ready to concede him having some type of disorder of this nature just yet. I can't speak from experience since Ive not been in his position but he's a tough guy and I think if we give him time, hopefully sooner than later, he'll start coming around.

Well his play is due to the surgery and lack of play recently, i expect him to play better because he is aways off after an injury and he is a 90+passer rating kind of player, the chargers have a weak secondary...get him one TD and i think everything will come easy to him after that. Im sure hes stressed after all this...if hes not he is as emotional as stone, but to call it a disorder is ridiculous. he'll be back to normal soon enough.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm not counting Ben out yet. He is something special and he is gonna turn it around. He will once again make people wonder why they doubted him.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Disorder? No. Stressed? without a doubt.
    football is not a joke, guys get the **** knock out of them out there. I give Ben props for just being back on the field after just less than 6 months of near death tragady.

As Ben gets more comfortable He'll come around
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben is as tough as they come, the man's had to be stressed ever since he was drated #1 and touted as the QB for the future and the one to lead us to the promised land. All this extra stuff that's happened to him will only make him stronger in the end; he just needs to get through the down time he's in and work his way back in positive forward steps.

It's still probably a little early to start slapping all these acronyms on him, I think a lot of his bad performance has to due with a lack of playing time like K-Train mentioned. Ben will get in his grove, hopefully, this next weekend. I think once he gets his first TD and helps the team get their first W with him under center, then we will start to see the Ben of old!

Thread Information