Thread: Terrible News Heath Benedict Dies

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad

Terrible News Heath Benedict Dies

Quote:
    Jacksonville, FL (WLTX) - According to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, Newberry College lineman Heath Benedict was found dead in his Florida home.

Benedict, a transfer from Tennessee, just finished his college career last season, becoming the first player from Newberry College to compete in the Under Armour Senior Bowl.

He seemed to have a bright professional future ahead, though: some projections had the 25-year-old going early in next month's NFL draft.

Stay with and WLTX and WLTX.com for the latest details on this developing story

http://www.wltx.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=60170

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    wow, hopefully it was natural causes and he didn't go retarded an take his own life......
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Thats crazy!! he was supposed to be an early day 2 pick, and had a bright future.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Its really sad....So young and all that potential.....Plus this was Ktrain's guy....Was just talking with Train about Heath a few hours ago...Then I found this on the net.....Just shocking to hear this news.....

Benedict found dead

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3314762

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Heath Benedict, a two-time Little All-American offensive lineman from Newberry College in South Carolina, was found dead on a couch in his home.

Jacksonville police said no foul play is suspected in the death of the 24-year-old Benedict, a 6-foot-4¾, 321-pound senior who had high hopes of being selected in the NFL draft next month.

Benedict Found His Place

ESPN.com college football writer Chris Low visited with Heath Benedict (right) in January at the Senior Bowl and found a more mature player who, thanks to his Newberry College experience, had positioned himself to be an NFL draft pick. Story

Benedict, who redshirted at Tennessee as a freshman in 2002 before moving on to Newberry, was a native of the Netherlands. He played high school football at the Peddie School in Hightstown, N.J.

Jacksonville police spokesman Ken Jefferson said Benedict's body was taken to the medical examiner's office to determine the cause of his death. He was found dead Wednesday evening. Benedict was ranked the No. 4 guard in the draft by Scouts Inc. and projected as a fourth-round selection in April.

"Right now, we're all just trying to figure out what to do," Newberry assistant coach Ike Allred told The State newspaper of Columbia, S.C. "Obviously, we're all just praying for Heath and his family at this time."

Benedict played high school football at the Peddie School and moved to Greer, S.C., with his family. Following his senior season at Peddie, he was named a Parade All-American, played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and received a scholarship at Tennessee.

According to the report, Benedict withdrew from Tennessee after his redshirt freshman season and returned to Greer, where Newberry coach Zak Willis offered him a scholarship. Given a second chance, he became a stronger student and locker room leader, earning multiple small-college and Division II All-America honors his sophomore, junior and senior seasons.

Last month, before the NFL scouting combine, Benedict said he was looking forward to representing Newberry in the NFL, according to The State.

"Newberry's a great school. I really enjoyed my four years there and now I have the opportunity to come from there to the NFL," Benedict said a month ago, according to the report. "I'm always going to be grateful for the opportunity they gave me. I'll always be a Newberry Indian."

This really sucks, i loved him after his interview about the steelers...he told the world he was gonna replace faneca

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Damn I thought someone done shot the Pope.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

it was probably hgh abuse if it just happened like that...really sucks, hope it wasnt but it wouldnt surprise me

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Damn my bad, I shouldn't have been trying to be funny..........
    hate to hear this about such young guys that seems to have such a brite future.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wow that's just terrible..so young and a bright future ahead of him in football and life. An old friend of ours was in his mid 20's and just fell over dead in the shower 1 day from a massive brain hemorage...sometimes **** just happens like that with warnings.

Gold Standard
    Just another reason to live life freely and enjoy every day because none of us know which day will be our last!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Thread Information