Thread: So Simple it's stupid!!

So Simple it's stupid!!

Guys i have to share with you this gorgeous italian receipe i found and tried that is stuipidly simple your wonder how it can taste so good. The key to this is finding the best cherry/plum tomatoes you can find. When you first try this buy the most expensive you can get, which still won't be much.

Ingredients

Olive oil
    Garlic 1 teaspoon per person
    Chill 1/4 teaspoon per person
    Cherry tomatoes 6 per person
    Anchovy fillets 1.5 per person
    Pasta of choice
    King prawns

Heat the olive oil with the anchovy, garlic, chilli together for a few minutes until the anchovies start to melt, then throw in halved cherry tomatoes, and simmer for 10 minutes,

Boil pasta as per packet instructions then just when they are al dente, ( a little hard ) drain and then add the tomato mix, and the cooked prawns and heat for just a couple minutes more.

Cooking the pasta like this at the end, infuses the tomato mix into the pasta it's self.

When the pasta is done serve with a sprinkle of parmasan, salt, pepper, and torn basil leaves..

I swear it's the tastiest thing you'll have this month, and its a true rural italian home cooked dish.

Enjoy!

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Pete I feel like a killjoy when it comes to the recipes you post and I really don't mean to....honest. I just don't do anchovies. How about a substitute? I'd be willing to give it a go besides that.....

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Sounds like an experiment worth trying, will let you know how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
    Pete I feel like a killjoy when it comes to the recipes you post and I really don't mean to....honest. I just don't do anchovies. How about a substitute? I'd be willing to give it a go besides that.....
    Anchovy you can if you want leave them out altogether as they give it a natural salt fish taste. You can get anchovy paste if you want. if not i'd put some salt in instead. Maybe throw in some halved green olives same time as the tomato's?
    The smell of the garlic, chilli, olive oil and in my case anchovy, gets everyone in the kitchen pronto, wife, and 2 cats love it!! LOL

This receipe is also good with live muscles instead of prawns. Throw the de beared live muscles into the mix, about the same time the water is boiling ready to put the pasta in.

The chilli i mention in this is chopped up hot chillis, or i use "lazy chilli" which is shredded chilli in a jar, hence 1/4 teaspoon. But you can make it as hot/mild as you like. 1/4 chilli will give you "warmth" per mouthfull!
    Same with the garlic. I use Lazy garlic hence 1 teaspoon per person

I do loads of italian stuff, but this is my current favourite that i must have at least once per week. As i said the quality of the cherry or plum tomato's is the key. If you get cheap crap it tastes....crap! The most expensive fresh italian plum tomato's ( not tinned ) i could get were only equivalent $3 your money.
    These are the really small fresh tomato's and the beauty of this dish is that it only takes 10 minutes.

Last time i did this i threw in some chirozo sausage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburghpete View Post
    Anchovy you can if you want leave them out altogether as they give it a natural salt fish taste. You can get anchovy paste if you want. if not i'd put some salt in instead. Maybe throw in some halved green olives same time as the tomato's?
    The smell of the garlic, chilli, olive oil and in my case anchovy, gets everyone in the kitchen pronto, wife, and 2 cats love it!! LOL

This receipe is also good with live muscles instead of prawns. Throw the de beared live muscles into the mix, about the same time the water is boiling ready to put the pasta in.

The chilli i mention in this is chopped up hot chillis, or i use "lazy chilli" which is shredded chilli in a jar, hence 1/4 teaspoon. But you can make it as hot/mild as you like. 1/4 chilli will give you "warmth" per mouthfull!
    Same with the garlic. I use Lazy garlic hence 1 teaspoon per person

I do loads of italian stuff, but this is my current favourite that i must have at least once per week. As i said the quality of the cherry or plum tomato's is the key. If you get cheap crap it tastes....crap! The most expensive fresh italian plum tomato's ( not tinned ) i could get were only equivalent $3 your money.
    These are the really small fresh tomato's and the beauty of this dish is that it only takes 10 minutes.

Last time i did this i threw in some chirozo sausage as well.
    Thanks Pete! The olives and sausage I can definately do....and I love prawns. I'll let you know as soon as I get an evening to cook without the kiddies. (They aren't as adventurous as me. lol)

Also FCG, i've got a home made ragu, or a chicken / porchini mushroom italian receipe if your interested that i do, if you want a non anchovy italian dish?

Both dead easy and both blow my socks off in the taste dept!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburghpete View Post
    Also FCG, i've got a home made ragu, or a chicken / porchini mushroom italian receipe if your interested that i do, if you want a non anchovy italian dish?

Both dead easy and both blow my socks off in the taste dept!

YES please!

YES please!
    OK the Ragu. for 4
    500g of lean mince
    olive oil
    1 red onion
    2 cloves of garlic or 1 big heaped teaspooon of lazy garlic
    3 bay leaves
    rosemary
    4 tinns of the best quality tinned plum tomato's
    Pasta

Basically very simply,
    In a pot big enough for everything, heat the olive oil, then add the chopped up onion, and chopped garlic, and heat slowly for about 5 mins until the onion is soft.
    Add the bay leaves, rosemary, minced beef, and tins of tomatos, salt pepper, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours..... job done!! Its a great thing to do on a sunday and have the house smelling wonderful to whet everyones appetite
    How simple was that! Take the bay leaves out and serve over pasta of choice, but like the one above the key is the best tinned tomato's you can find.

Again authentic Italian dish
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Chicken Tetrazzini for 4

20g of dried porchini mushrooms ( near the dried herb section )
    3/4 chicken breasts cut into bite sizes
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 handfulls of the best fresh mushrooms you can buy like chesnut
    glass of white wine
    spagetti
    100 ml of cream
    100 or more grammes of parmesan

very simple, heat olive oil and add chicken to brown.
    Whist they are browning boil some water and cover the dried porchini mushrooms to soak. Don;t put too much water over, just enough for the mushrooms to soak and have a little paddle.
    When chicken is browned... just a little add the porchini mushrooms with the water, garlic, fresh mushrooms, wine and simmer for about 5 mins more to make sure the chicken is cooked through and the wine has reduced a little.

Cook the pasta then when done add cream to the chicken dish bring to the boil then turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper, then mix the chicken pan in with the drained cooked spagetti into an oven dish, sprinkle over the parmesan and torn basil leaves put into a heated oven (200 c) for about 10 mins until the top layer is a little hard, and the sauce is bubbling..

I've found this only works best with a good white wine.
    I've also experiemted with different fresh mushrooms, but the strong taste of the porchini ones have dominated more. I fancy trying this with Shitake mushrooms to see what happens!!! LOL

Again this is a rural italian dish.
    Last edited by Blitzburghpete; 03-28-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks Pete! They both sound great. I'm going to give them a go as soon as my evening schedule settles. I'll report back.

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    gonna make one of these dishes this week

Thread Information