Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Notebook: Steelers sign Warren - Update 3/26 PM: No go, booger failed physical

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

NFL Notebook: Steelers sign Warren - Update 3/26 PM: No go, booger failed physical

The Steelers came to another contract agreement with one of their own players yesterday when long-snapper Greg Warren reached terms on a three-year contract. He will receive $2.3 million, including a signing bonus of $395,000.

Warren made the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2005 and has been their long snapper since. He became a restricted free agent Feb. 29. Yesterday, the Steelers entertained another veteran free agent and three college prospects.

Anthony "Booger" McFarland, released last month by the Indianapolis Colts when he failed their physical, came to a contract agreement with the Steelers last night after meeting with team officials and taking a physical earlier in the day. He is a defensive lineman who is 6 feet, 300 pounds. He spent all last season on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Colts acquired McFarland in a trade with Tampa Bay in October 2006 for a second-round draft choice.

He was the Buccaneers' first-round draft choice in 1999 from LSU and played for Tampa Bay when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the secondary coach there.

The Steelers are set with their three starters in the defensive line, ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel and nose tackle Casey Hampton. They are thin behind them, especially at end. They re-signed end Travis Kirschke, 34, before he would have become a free agent Feb. 29. Ryan McBean, a rookie who spent most of last season on the practice squad, recently had foot surgery and still cannot work out.

The three college prospects who visited the Steelers yesterday were Arizona State running back Ryan Torain, Michigan outside linebacker Shawn Cable and linebacker Jerod Mayo of Tennessee.

The Steelers also announced that center Justin Hartwig finally signed his contract, one week after he agreed to a two-year, $3,725,000 with the team as a free agent from Carolina.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08086/867942-66.stm

yay, we are getting older..........dumb****s.........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    First off congrats to the team on resigning Greg Warren to a nice cap friendly deal. Warren is a good long snapper and this just sures up yet another part of the team.

As far as McFarland here, it's not as bad as you think. Take into consideration right now the team is happy with Keisel, Hampton, and Smith. All they have behind them now is Kirschke who has a chronic bad back; and McBean who barely made the team last year and did nothing. Do you really want to go into the 2008 season with that kind of talent, or lack thereof, behind the starters? McFarland still has a few years left in the tank and he didn't play at all last year. The dude was good when he playeed and he's got experience.

This doesn't mean we aren't going to draft a DL next month, because I think we still will but this does give us some veteran, experienced depth until we can bring a long a draft pick so will hopefully be able to step up to the challenge and push for a starting job in a year or 2.

Just because Tomlin wants us to get younger doesn't mean he's going to start bringing in all young guys and leave us vulnerable.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Good Deal! We needed Warren signed, and we needed a steady backup on the D-Line. If the booger can stay healthy, he could be a steal!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Frankly, I can't believe how active they've been this offseason.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133 View Post
    This is what we needed..some fresh blood in there making stuff happen, I can picture Tomlin bugging the crap out of the rooney's like a little kid begging for a new toy.Atleast there doing something!

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133 View Post
    Yeah, granted several of prospects we've signed in FA have been our own players but still we've brought in a ton of prospects and actually signed a few of them to help our team in various areas of need. Resigning the RFA's is no surprise, giving Ben the extension wasn't a surprise other than maybe how fast they got it done, the signings of Hartwig, Fox, and Moore all address areas of need last year, and now with McFarland it gives them some veteran depth while they hopefully grab a good draft pick to step up to the challenge.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    What did we do with Hoke

My Mood
    Addicted
    Glad Warren is locked up. McFarland should provide some nice depth for the D-line.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    McFarland is a waste of money... Sure he's a good player back in the day but hell, he couldn't even pass a freak'n physical.
    I'd like to know what exactly they gave him because I can't imagaine they got him for more than a year or 2 at best.
    Last edited by Captcoolhand; 03-26-2008 at 10:23 AM.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    McFarland is a waste of money... Sure he's a good player back in the day but hell, he couldn't even pass a freak'n physical.
    I'd like to know what exactly they gave him because I can't imagaine they got him for more than a year or 2 at best.

Old - Broken - Worn out "It's like putting bald tires on your car"

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Thread Information