Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson's release gives Steelers some salary cap breathing room

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Wilson's release gives Steelers some salary cap breathing room

Besides sending a message, the Steelers received something in return when they terminated the contract of wide receiver Cedrick Wilson hours after he was arrested for punching his former girlfriend Wednesday night.

They gained more than $2 million in salary cap room that might be used in signing a free agent or put toward signing one of their own players to a long-term contract.

As of yesterday, counting Wilson's Thursday release, the Steelers have $2.3 million in salary cap room after dipping to about $300,000 in room Wednesday.

Wilson was scheduled to earn a salary of $2,085,000 in 2008 but because it is not guaranteed, that money no longer has to be paid -- players receive their salaries during the regular season -- and the Steelers' salary cap was the immediate beneficiary.

The former Steelers receiver will still count $500,000 against their salary cap for 2008 because that represents the pro-rated portion of the $2 million signing bonus he received when he joined them as an unrestricted free agent from the San Francisco 49ers in 2005.

It is possible Wilson's release Thursday merely came four months early. His position on the team slid from starter in 2006 to their No. 4 wide receiver last season. Combined with his low production -- 18 receptions last season and just two touchdowns in three seasons -- it did not justify his $2 million salary.

Wilson might have been released anyway had the Steelers drafted a wide receiver or signed one in free agency. They also could have asked him to take a pay cut for 2008 had he not been arrested for assaulting his former girlfriend Wednesday night and remained on the team.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08082/867200-66.stm

the only good thing wilson has done for this team was smack his bitch, cause now we have some breathing room lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

sweet

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Good deal!!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

we're letting him go 3 years too late if you ask me...
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

if we spend it on matt jones im gonna be pissed lol

Reppin' 724
    2.3 still doesn't seem like much. Some other team needs to offer Starks a deal.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    2.3 still doesn't seem like much. Some other team needs to offer Starks a deal.
    It seems like we always hover around that 5 million or less cap number every year heading into the draft but somehow the team makes it work with restructures and what not. Colbert said they had to be willing to carry Starks salary when they made the offer but yeah this whole Starks thing needs to get settled and soon IMO.

starks damn well better earn that money if he ends up making the full amount

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08082/867200-66.stm

the only good thing wilson has done for this team was smack his bitch, cause now we have some breathing room lol
    Haha I remember in the 2005 playoffs he actually made some nice plays (like in the AFC title). I thought to myself: "This guy might actually be a good reciever for us." Wow was I wrong. I'm so glad we got rid of him. Now we can sign someone better.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    It seems like we always hover around that 5 million or less cap number every year heading into the draft but somehow the team makes it work with restructures and what not. Colbert said they had to be willing to carry Starks salary when they made the offer but yeah this whole Starks thing needs to get settled and soon IMO.
    We have smart guys in the FO. They know how to work the cap. Now if we can clear out the garbage situation Cowher left us in, we'll be in great shape!
    Last edited by kgreen; 03-23-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Cedric did make some plays for us in his time, like the big TD catch again Cincy the year of SBXL. The problem was he complained too much and was way too inconsistent on the field. I mean lets face it, Nate Washington has been inconsistent during his Steeler career as well but the team obviously feels he's got a bigger potential upside than Cedric does because Nate beat him out for the majority of playing time last year.

Thread Information