Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Farrior get an extension?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb Does Farrior get an extension?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_557469.html
    What's good for Farrior obviously wasn't good for Faneca or Porter, who wanted to finish their careers with the Steelers but left for big dollars.

Farrior's contract was restructured to be more team-friendly, with a lower salary cap number in his final year.

Compare Farrior's situation with Porter, who was scheduled to have the second-highest cap number on the team when he was released. Or with Harrison, who turns 30 in May and has an extremely team-friendly contract: $1.5 million in 2008 and $1.7 million in 2009.

"I didn't get a contract, but at the same time I don't feel like they had enough money to spend on me," Porter told the Tribune-Review after his release. "It was about the Steelers coming to a reasonable number that they felt like giving me, and was I willing to take it."

Farrior's situation is different. Nearing the end of his career, he's willing to play for less money to remain with the Steelers.

The Steelers' working environment is unique in the NFL. Not only is the team successful on the field, but in an era when players are often released to create salary cap space, some players have an opportunity to finish their careers in Pittsburgh.

"The Steelers put in the number of years on a contract that they reasonably expect a guy can play. Rarely do you see them eat three years of a contract because a guy got too old," said Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich, who represents Farrior.

"In the case of a guy like Farrior, instead of pumping up the last year (of his contract) like a lot of agents do to get a high average, we actually dropped James' (salary) last year some. So they're saying, 'We had good play out of him;' in fact, the Steelers are calling last season maybe his second-best year with them. They look at his cap number and see it went down from the previous season."

Simply put, Farrior wanted to stay with the Steelers. So he made his contract more attractive to the team. Farrior led the Steelers in tackles last season, but how many other talented players are willing to accept less money to stay?

"That was one of the reasons why James made the decision when he was in the last year of his contract," Cindrich said. "It's very difficult to find in the NFL a home where you're getting paid well, you wake up in the morning and you want to go to work and want to be with your teammates. In the long run, the dollars amount to more when you're with that type of organization versus playing five years and taking a hit in free agency trying to get the big bucks, but not playing through the contract."
    It's interesting how the Steelers work the cap when it comes certain players vs others. Like the article mentions, players like Bettis, Aaron Smith get extensions even at 30+ but guys like Porter or Faneca don't. You can tell when a player really wants to be in Pittsburgh and he's nearing the end of his career and has maybe 3 or 4 years left in him; he'll take less money or take a more cap friendly deal to stay with the team.

Farrior is in the last year of his deal; with Foote and Timmons battling it out you have to wonder if they'll bring James back in 2009 or just let Foote and Timmons take over the starting jobs in the middle. Farrior is playing at a high level still and is a leader on this team; he's always been a team player and was one of the best FA signing in the Cowher era no question!

Farrior seems like the type that would take less to play and stay in the Burgh We'll just have to wait and see though...

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    IMO, Farrior got everything he could ask for in his days of playing. He has a SB ring, he's made the money and he's nearing the age that he probably thinks, why should I go somewhere else and play for another year or 2 and have to learn a whole new system?
    He's just in it for the love of the game and if he can just play it out for just a few more million so be it.
    To bad we don't have more players that see it the way Farrior does....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Draft Pick portcityblackandgold's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Farrior is a throwback for sure. In a time where most players dont even know how to spell loyalty its refreshing to see a player who wants to just play the game and contribute to his team.

Anutha fine masterpiece by the picasso of sigs K-Train

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    The funny thing about alot of the Linebackers that do leave, late in thier years. Earl Holmes,kirkland, Porter, Gildon, etc. What did they do when they left? Maybe the Steelers just know who`s still got it, and who is done! Maybe its just our system that keeps them here anyway! In the past players like Holmes and Kirkland went to teams with a 4-3. Holmes went to the brownies, they couldn`t wait to get him. Once he was responsible for the entire middle instead of just his side of the middle, he didn`t have the speed, one year and done.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

farrior brings great leadership to the table. he still has a couple good years in him and he WANTS to retire a steeler. i know the young LB's look up to him and learn from him. IMO, that's a good thing because these young LB's aren't coming to a team with their heads all blown up with ego. they know there are veteran LB's to respect. when timmons/woodley have to take the reigns, they'll be well prepared.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by portcityblackandgold View Post
    Farrior is a throwback for sure. In a time where most players dont even know how to spell loyalty its refreshing to see a player who wants to just play the game and contribute to his team.
    For the love of the game.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

i think hes more important to the team than hes given credit for. signing him wont be a problem, we'll get a hometown discount because frankly i think he needs the steelers as much as they need him

Draft Pick
    I have always liked Farrior. Good player, good leader, good man. He's a Steeler to the core.

Born in Steeler Country......Living in WhoDeyLand

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think hes more important to the team than hes given credit for. signing him wont be a problem, we'll get a hometown discount because frankly i think he needs the steelers as much as they need him
    An interesting scenario also is that Foote is signed through 2009 on his current deal. Maybe the Steelers give him an extension next season if they think he can handle Farriors duties in the middle, of if they think Timmons can do the job. Conversely maybe they think Foote won't be able to do the job that Farrior did so then they let Foote's deal expire, let him walk and bring back James on a 2 yr deal while they groom his replacement via the draft?

Just some things to keep in mind that could play out depending on how these older players start to get to the end of their deals.

Thread Information