Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

McFadden wants to make Steelers pay

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_557359.html

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cornerback Bryant McFadden was the Steelers' second-round draft pick in 2005. McFadden is entering the final year of his contract and has retained the one and only Drew Rosenhaus to broker a new deal.
    Be afraid Steelers fans, be very afraid.

McFadden's agent change is one of the most important developments facing the Steelers this offseason.

Rosenhaus is a squeaky wheel among NFL agents. He has a track record for bringing attention to himself and securing big money for his clients.

What does McFadden's hiring Rosenhaus have to do with the Steelers? Well, McFadden's signability could impact how the Steelers approach next month's draft.

If the Steelers plan to re-sign McFadden prior to the start of next season, they won't be forced to select a cornerback early in the draft.

If, on the other hand, the Steelers don't plan to re-sign McFadden before the start of next season -- remember, the club traditionally doesn't negotiate in season -- expect them to draft a cornerback relatively early, perhaps on the first day.

Among current Steelers cornerbacks, Ike Taylor, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, is signed through 2010. Deshea Townsend, the other starting corner, is signed through 2009, when he will be 34.

The other corners include William Gay, a fifth-round pick last year, and Anthony Madison, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

Ricardo Colclough, the team's second-round pick in 2004, was released last season, creating a vacancy at corner.

Changing agents is all well and good, but not even Rosenhaus can make the Steelers budge if the team doesn't believe that McFadden can beat out Townsend, who was a fourth-round pick in 1998.

McFadden was taken in the second round for a reason. The Steelers reward their players financially for their performance. They drafted McFadden believing he would become a starter.

The only players the Steelers pay on potential are their draft picks.

McFadden has appeared in 41 regular-season games with 10 starts. He has five career interceptions, including a 50-yard return for a touchdown against San Francisco last season.

McFadden's biggest problem in 2007 was not staying on the field. He missed three games because of a high ankle sprain, allowing Gay to receive valuable playing time at nickel back.

Hiring a new agent is one way for McFadden to get the new contract he's seeking. The best way is for McFadden to become the Steelers' starting right corner in 2008.
    I wonder how they really feel about Bryant this offseason, we haven't heard anything about them offering him an extension. With Deshea entering his last year and not getting any younger this brings a whole new scenario to light to most of us might not have realized. Perhaps they think Gay will be ready to assume the prime backup spot after 2008. McFadden has shown flashes but he just hasn't been on the field that much and with Deshea at the top of his game even at 33 now Bryant couldn't beat him out to date.

I would think they might bring Deshea back at a lesser amount to play in the nickle/dime, perhaps help out at safety if need be for maybe a 1 or 2 year deal just for depth but other than that he probably wouldn't be around after next season.

i think they will lock him up, i think they better...hes a hell of a corner imo, he makes big plays and i have no doubt he can beat ot deshea

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    So what kind of contract do you give a player with the potential to be the starter but hasn't done it yet? Rosenhaus isn't going to scare the Rooneys, they've been at this a whole lot longer then Drew. They will give Mac what they think he's worth and that will tell us how they feel about him. I hope they lock him up to.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think they will lock him up, i think they better...
    I agree. He is the best option to start opposite Taylor that the Steelers have and Townsend is better suited as a nickelback anyways.

Either it will cost the Steelers big bucks to sign him or they will have to dish out big bucks for a top FA, so I would rather keep a guy that has chemistry with the team and I feel he still has alot of upside.

Thanks to Zachintosh66 for my awesome website banner!!
    steelersal.com

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah personally I'd rather keep him since he knows the system but the thing is will he settle for a deal with decent but not great money till he can prove himself more or is he going to want to break the bank? If he wants big money the Steelers won't do it but if he is willing to take a decent cap friendly salary then it would definitely behoove us to get him signed so we're set at CB with 2 young players for the future.

Gold Standard

The Rooney's are shrewd businessmen

The Rooney's are not going to allow someone like Drew Rosenhaus to rake them over the coals. Based upon his past performance and where he stacks up at his position against his peers in the league, they will offer him what they think his market value is, not what Drew Rosenhaus thinks he is worth. My guess is that there will be a large chasm between the two numbers!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

rosenhaus is a good agent....it gets blown out of porportion anytime he gets hired because of guys like TO....its not like that 99% of the time, hes really a great agent

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    rosenhaus is a good agent....it gets blown out of porportion anytime he gets hired because of guys like TO....its not like that 99% of the time, hes really a great agent
    He is good, he negotiated Timmons contract last year. Just the way the article was sayin we should all be scared is BS.

Heres the thing, is Mac worthy of a starters salary? No hes had enough chances to grab the starting spot from Townsend, who is a good CB, not a shutdown guy but hes consistent. Colclough couldn't unseat him and hes gone, not saying the same thing will happen to Mac but he is another Cowher 2nd rounder So where would Mac fit in if he fails to win the #2 CB job? FS? Hes got a hitter mentality, he plays the ball in front of him, why not? Thoughts?

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    If Polamalu has another year like he had last year .... rest assured, we'll have enough "free'd up" cap space to make sure McFadd doesn't go anywhere.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    He is good, he negotiated Timmons contract last year. Just the way the article was sayin we should all be scared is BS.

Heres the thing, is Mac worthy of a starters salary? No hes had enough chances to grab the starting spot from Townsend, who is a good CB, not a shutdown guy but hes consistent. Colclough couldn't unseat him and hes gone, not saying the same thing will happen to Mac but he is another Cowher 2nd rounder So where would Mac fit in if he fails to win the #2 CB job? FS? Hes got a hitter mentality, he plays the ball in front of him, why not? Thoughts?
    You bring very good and interesting points......I like McFadden as a player...I think he has some nice skills...But like you said he hasn't been able to become a full time starter yet...He has had chances to beat out Townsend but DeShea always wins the job.....I give credit to Townsend for being consistent and thats why he is always a starter....But at the same time the Steelers better be cautious with McFadden before giving him a huge pay increase....If he doesn't win the starters spot this year then I say pass on him....Really its all up to McFadden.....If he wants to be paid like a star then its time for him to shine....

Thread Information