Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers still quiet in free agency...**Update 3/18 Kemoeatu & Essex sign 1 yr deals

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers still quiet in free agency...**Update 3/18 Kemoeatu & Essex sign 1 yr deals

As the first week of free agency passed, it was business as usual for the Steelers -- as in they did very little of it Friday.
    The team did re-sign linebacker Andre Frazier to a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $520,000 and includes a $50,000 signing bonus.
    The Steelers had declined to tender a one-year offer worth $927,000 to Frazier last week, making the fourth-year pro an unrestricted free agent. Frazier visited the Patriots before re-signing with the Steelers.
    The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder played in eight games for the Steelers last season, strictly on special teams, and made 12 tackles.
    Frazier, who originally signed with the Steelers in 2005 and played two seasons for the Bengals, was re-signed because of his ability to play special teams. He also could challenge for playing time at outside linebacker with free agent Clark Haggans certain to sign somewhere else.
    The Steelers apparently are still interested in free agent center/guard Rex Hadnot.
    Hadnot, who started 48 games at guard and center the previous three seasons for the Miami Dolphins, met with the Steelers on Wednesday and visited the Titans yesterday.
    The Steelers are believed to be less than $1 million under the salary cap with the re-signing of Frazier and have yet to make an offer to the 6-2, 325-pound Hadnot.
    The Steelers could free up cap room by signing offensive tackle Max Starks to a long-term contract or restructuring the contracts of players on their roster.
    The team made a one-year tender offer worth almost $6.9 million to Starks recently, and they have factored that figure into their salary cap for 2008.
    Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said earlier this week that the Steelers and Starks hope to agree on a multi-year contract. Starks can sign the tender offer at any time, and the Steelers have the right to pull it off the table before the middle of July.
    The Steelers signed running back/kick returner Mewelde Moore last Monday and hosted safeties Eugene Wilson and Chris Crocker, as well as linebacker Tracy White earlier in the week.
    The re-signing of Frazier makes it unlikely the Steelers will sign White as they were looking at him as a special-teams player.
    Well at least 2 things, we got frazier for half the price and they still have an Eye on Hadnot.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Tailgate Coordinator
    Steelers | Team could have Simmons restructure contract
    Sat, 8 Mar 2008 10:48:20 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers could ask OG Kendall Simmons to restructure his contract to create more room under the salary cap.

I'm A "Champion"

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    Steelers | Team could have Simmons restructure contract
    Sat, 8 Mar 2008 10:48:20 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers could ask OG Kendall Simmons to restructure his contract to create more room under the salary cap.
    Wow! they just gave him a contract extention in Sept and all ready they want him to redo it again. what's really going on it the FO.....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quite free agency? I think when you resign a franchise QB like Big Ben that shouldn't qualify as quite...True he wasn't a free agent but still they resigned him this free agency period and thats a huge move in its own right....Plus they also signed Mewelde Moore....Plus gave Starks the transition tag which is preventing them from making an offer to Hadnot at the moment....
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 03-11-2008 at 06:23 PM.

whatever the case may be, they better make room for a center.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Quite free agency? I think when you resign a franchise QB like Big Ben that shouldn't quality as quite...True he wasn't a free agent but still they resigned him this free agency period and thats a huge move in its own right....Plus they also signed Mewelde Moore....Plus gave Starks the transition tag which is preventing them from making an offer to Hadnot at the moment....
    anyone who wouldn't agree with that, doesn't get the big picture..it has been a very effective fa thus far...imho, it has been way more active a fa than we're used to...
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im surprised Belicheat didn't try and sign Frazier and attempt to turn him into a Vrabel or something

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Im surprised Belicheat didn't try and sign Frazier and attempt to turn him into a Vrabel or something
    they probably tryed to get him for minimum
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There was no way anybody was going to give Frazier anywhere near 1 million a year at this point so the Steelers were smart to not tender him that big offer and let him come back to us after testing the market.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08071/864217-66.stm
    Free agent linebacker visits Steelers
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have little room under the salary cap to sign free agents, but they keep parading them through their South Side facility.

Outside linebacker Keyaron Fox, who played the past four seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, is meeting with the coaching staff today -- the sixth free agent to visit the Steelers since the free agency period began.

Fox, 6-foot-3, 235 pounds, a former third-round draft choice, would be a backup linebacker and special-teams player.

The only free agent to sign with the Steelers is former Minnesota Vikings running back/kick returner Mewelde Moore.

Thread Information