Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers still quiet in free agency...**Update 3/18 Kemoeatu & Essex sign 1 yr deals

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think we'll make atleast 1 more FA signing, if not now then after the draft. there is always a wave of FA's released to free up cap space after the draft that you can usually get for a good price. Depending on what we don't address next month we can still pick up after.

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked

STEELERS Re-Sign RFAs Kemoeatu and Essex

PITTSBURGH —
    Steelers’ offensive lineman Chris Kemoeatu and Trai Essex have each signed their one-year tenders, it was announced today. Financial terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Kemoeatu (6-3, 344) will enter his fourth season with the Steelers after being selected in the fifth round (204th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. Kemoeatu has appeared in 18 career games mostly as a reserve at guard and as a special teams contributor. He started two games at right guard in place of Kendall Simmons during the 2006 season.

Essex (6-4, 324) will also be entering his fourth season with the Steelers after being selected in the third round (93rd overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. Essex has appeared in 24 regular-season contests as a backup at both tackle and guard. He started four games at left tackle in place of Marvel Smith during the 2005 season, and made his first NFL postseason start at left tackle in place of Smith during the 2007 Wild Card Game against Jacksonville.

Hope this free's up some cap space

i really think essex is better suited as a guard....kinda like leonard davis in dallas. Davis is a god awful tackle, but an absolutely dominating guard in every way. and im not sure about chris k.....but i like resigning them both

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    money spent, can't do nothing ease til Starks sign
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's not going to really free up much money against the cap, if any, as far as I know. These are only 1 yr tender offers the cap value is fairly decent for them both. This is good because right now OL are at a premium on this team and atleast with Essex he's got some experience now. With Chris K. from what I've heard on NFLN and such he was THIS close to beating out Simmons this past year for the starting spot but just couldn't quite do it, then they resigned Kendall to a big deal and well; that was that. If Kemoeatu has a good year for us he'll command decent money next year so the team may be considering signing him long term. At this point Essex will most likely still be the backup.

Thread Information