Bookmark and Share

POSITION: Wide Receiver
    SCHOOL: Michigan State
    CLASS: Senior
    HT: 6-2
    WT: 216
    40: 4.40
    Overview:

Devin Thomas burst onto the scene with a breakout junior season. Thomas went from a virtual unknown, to one of the most productive and exciting players in college football. Thomas has a lot of tools that have scouts falling in love with his potential. His combination of size, speed, and athletic ability are tops in this wide receiver class.

Strengths:

Thomas has an NFL body at 6-2, 216. He has long arms and very good leaping ability and good upper body strength. Thomas catches the ball with his hands, and does a good job of holding on after contact. He has a knack for making tough catches, and consistant enough to make all the routine catches. His speed (4.40 40) and athletic ability makes him dangerous after the catch. Averaged over 15 yards per reception. Willing and able to block when necessary. May have only scratched the surface of his overall potential. Added value in the return game.

Weaknesses:

One year wonder, so there's not an abundance of film available on him. Under-achieved early on in his career at Michigan St., and will have to answer questions about why this is the case. Tough to evaluate as a route runner because of the manner he was used at Michigan St. Hasn't displayed the ability to be a legitimate deep threat. Raw in some areas and will take some coaching up before he's a legitimate #1 receiver.

Analysis:

While he could be viewed as a bit of a project, I don't expect teams to ignor what he brings to the table. He has a rare combination of size, speed, ahtletic ability, and strength. When scouts look at that along with his return abilities and upside, I have to believe he ranks right up there with any receiver in this class. His ability to make tough catches and hold on after contact will make him a great fit as a slot receiver early in his career. He's a perfect prospect for a team looking for an immediate #3 receiver to develope into a #1, or #2. In the meantime he can earn his money on 3rd downs and in the return game.

NFL Comparison:

Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans

2007 - 79 catches for 1,260 yards (15.9) 8 TD's
    Career - 85 catches for 1,350 yards (15.9) 9 TD's

BIO

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Got to be more then a 1 year wonder to be a 1st round pick.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post
    Watched the video on Thomas which was not that impressive when the opposition was Bowling Green and UAB. Game and opponent stats below....not so impressive.

2007 Game Log Receiving
    DATE OPP RESULT REC YDS AVG
    9/1 UAB W 55-18 5 106 21.2
    9/8 Bowling Green W 28-17 4 156 39.0
    9/15 Pittsburgh W 17-13 3 53 17.7
    9/22 @Notre Dame W 31-14 4 55 13.8
    9/29 @Wisconsin L 37-34 4 111 27.8
    10/6 Northwestern L 48-41 5 61 12.2
    10/13 Indiana W 52-27 13 148 11.4
    10/20 @Ohio State L 24-17 4 77 19.3
    10/27 @Iowa L 34-27 9 139 15.4
    11/3 Michigan L 28-24 7 65 9.3
    11/10 @Purdue W 48-31 10 116 11.6
    11/17 Penn State W 35-31 7 139 19.9
    CHAMPS SPORTS BOWL AT ORLANDO FL Boston College L 24-21 4 34 8.5
    When you add it all up you have, 79 catches for 1,260 yards (15.9) 8 TD's. You mentioned Bowling Green and UAB. Now look at the Iowa game. He was working against Charles Godfrey, one of this years better CB's. Thomas has 9 catches for 139 yards. Look at the Ohio State game. He was working against arguably the best CB in the nation in Malcolm Jenkins. Thomas didn't have a huge game, but solid. The Penn State game he abused Justin King for 7 catches and 139 yards. Also consider the fact he didn't exactly have a top notch QB or supporting cast.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Got to be more then a 1 year wonder to be a 1st round pick.
    Barry Sanders was a one year wonder...Also, do you realize Thomas played 2 year of JUCO ball and was a top 20 JUCO prospect? He only had the one unproductive year, and that particular year Michigan State's program and coaching staff was a joke.
    Last edited by darnik44; 03-08-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    I admittedly go back and forth on the Steelers pick. I usually have one prospect picked out by this point, but I don't this year. There are about 6 or 7 prospects I could see the Steelers drafting, and I would be happy with.

I realize Thomas isn't a conventional pick, but could be a very good one. It doesn't seem like any of you have seen much of Devin Thomas. Thomas is considered by a lot of people now to be the top WR in this class. He's nearly 6-3, he has great hands, is dangerous after the catch, he ran a 4.40 40 at the combine, and he's a very good return man. He averaged over 30 yards per return last year. The Steelers had Najah Davenport and Allen Rossum return kicks last year. Rossum is gone, and Davenport is nearly as big as a guard, so the need there is huge. The need for a #3 WR is pretty big too. Add to that Roethlisberger's request for a tall receiver. Thomas isn't Sweed, Hardy, or Kelly in the ht. category, but he is 6-3 and has a better verticle than any of them. Right now Malcolm Kelly has questions about his speed and ability to separate. Sweed has a wrist injury, and wrist injuries can be cronic. I just think it makes good sense to cover 2 needs with one pick. Oh, and he blocks too.

Check out his highlight, I don't think many of you know much about him.

I live in the heart of Big 10 country....I know all about Devin Thomas....I'm not saying he won't be a good player and yes he would fill two needs....But I think 23 is to high for him......I still want to know on why think the Steelers have done well drafting 3rd and 4th round OL....This decade says other wise...lol

Reppin' 724
    lol....a WR? wow....

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I live in the heart of Big 10 country....I know all about Devin Thomas....I'm not saying he won't be a good player and yes he would fill two needs....But I think 23 is to high for him......I still want to know on why think the Steelers have done well drafting 3rd and 4th round OL....This decade says other wise...lol
    I suppose my statement about their success drafting 3rd and 4th round O linemen is a bit off. Willie Colon was a 3rd round pick, started in his 2nd year. He was less than impressive at RT, but I feel he can and will be a good guard. Trai Essex was a 3rd round pick and filled in at RT and LT his rookie year and was impressive. I'm not sure what happened to him since then. Marvel Smith was a 2nd round pick.

Now look at the first round picks. Kendall Simmons, hasn't played anywhere near the way they hoped he would. Jamaine Stephens, remember him? The last successful 1st round offensive linemen the Steelers drafted was Leon Searcy in 1992.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Barry Sanders was a one year wonder...
    BIG difference between Barry and this guy.....

In 1988, in what has been called the greatest season in college football history, Sanders led the nation by averaging 7.6 yards per carry and over 200 yards per game, including rushing for over 300 yards in four games. He set college football season records with 2,628 yards rushing, 3,249 total yards, 234 points, 39 touchdowns, of which 37 were rushing (also a record), 5 consecutive 200 yard games, scored at least 2 touchdowns in 11 consecutive games, and 9 times he scored at least 3 touchdowns. Sanders also ran for 222 yards and scored 5 touchdowns in his three quarters of action in the Holiday Bowl. Guess what else? Barry won the Heisman!!!! Don't even compare Barry's 1 year to this guys stat line.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Mad
    I suppose my statement about their success drafting 3rd and 4th round O linemen is a bit off. Willie Colon was a 3rd round pick, started in his 2nd year. He was less than impressive at RT, but I feel he can and will be a good guard. Trai Essex was a 3rd round pick and filled in at RT and LT his rookie year and was impressive. I'm not sure what happened to him since then. Marvel Smith was a 2nd round pick.

Now look at the first round picks. Kendall Simmons, hasn't played anywhere near the way they hoped he would. Jamaine Stephens, remember him? The last successful 1st round offensive linemen the Steelers drafted was Leon Searcy in 1992.
    Colon was a 4th rounder....You better check yourself.....Colon was drafted in 2006.....Steelers third round picks in 06 were Anthony Smith and Willie Reid....I agree Colon can make the switch to OG....He has to since he stinks as an OT...lol Essex has had limited action since being drafted in 05....He has looked alright when he has played...But he hasn't shown anything as being a full time starter in the NFL....Yes I know Smith was a 2nd rounder....You brought up 3rd and 4th round picks...lol

Yes I remember Jamain Stephens.....The last successful OL taken in the first round by the Steelers in the first round wasn't Leon Searcy....He was very good and he left to join the Dolphins after the 94 season if memory serves me correct...But I guess you forgot about that OG that just left to sign with the Jets......You know Alan Faneca.....I didn't want Alan back due to his age and the money he received...But I think its safe to say his career was a success with the Steelers...lol Really I can't believe you left out Faneca....

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Colon was a 4th rounder....You better check yourself.....Colon was drafted in 2006.....Steelers third round picks in 06 were Anthony Smith and Willie Reid....I agree Colon can make the switch to OG....He has to since he stinks as an OT...lol Essex has had limited action since being drafted in 05....He has looked alright when he has played...But he hasn't shown anything as being a full time starter in the NFL....Yes I know Smith was a 2nd rounder....You brought up 3rd and 4th round picks...lol

Yes I remember Jamain Stephens.....The last successful OL taken in the first round by the Steelers in the first round wasn't Leon Searcy....He was very good and he left to join the Dolphins after the 94 season if memory serves me correct...But I guess you forgot about that OG that just left to sign with the Jets......You know Alan Faneca.....I didn't want Alan back due to his age and the money he received...But I think its safe to say his career was a success with the Steelers...lol Really I can't believe you left out Faneca....
    Yeah I did forget about Faneca some how. I'm just trying to pull things from memory, and not research it.

In reference to Barry Sanders, I wasn't trying to compare stat lines. I was only pointing out that "one year wonders" can be successful. I could bring up a lot of other names as well.

My Mood
    Mad
    Yeah I did forget about Faneca some how. I'm just trying to pull things from memory, and not research it.

In reference to Barry Sanders, I wasn't trying to compare stat lines. I was only pointing out that "one year wonders" can be successful. I could bring up a lot of other names as well.
    I don't research anything...lol If I actually put the work in.....I know I could be the next draft guru....
    [AutoMerged Post Below]

Only issue I have with the Thomas pick is at pick 23....Thats all man....I think its to early for him....Plus OL and DL are bigger needs for this team.....I also like drafting best available instead of drafting for need....I think when you draft for need then you end up reaching at times....Troy Edwards in 99 and even Timmons last year are examples.....
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 03-08-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thread Information