My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ready to turn it around

http://media3.steelers.com/article/69657/

Ready to turn it around
    Thursday, September 28, 2006

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

The Steelers returned to practice on Wednesday, taking advantage of some extra time to get work done during their bye week.

For quarterback Ben Roethlisberger this week is a chance to look back at his performance so far this season and see what he needs to do to get things rolling for the long haul ahead.

One of those things – run the ball more.

Roethlisberger and head coach Bill Cowher talked this week and one thing that was encouraged was for the quarterback to take off running more when the opportunity arises, something that has been a strength his first two seasons.

"I talked to coach about it; we decided that maybe I need to get out a little more, run a little more," said Roethlisberger. "I've kind of gotten away from running the ball. He said, 'Yeah, take your 6 yards and slide.'

"We'll see. I'm not going to go out and try to change anything. I'm just going to continue to play the way that I play and just try to make smarter decisions."

Roethlisberger's rushing stats so far this season are listed as two carries for a loss of one yard. He isn't going to be going out on the field looking to run, but rather make sure he has it available as an option.

"When it comes to scrambling, it's kind of the fine line," said Roethlisberger. "It's not necessarily something you design, but it's not something you want to do too soon. We went back and looked at the film. There's probably a couple of plays where I got out of the pocket and maybe I tried to stay a passer too long rather than just take the yardage and get down. It's a fine line to walk, but we'll find a way to just get back to playing my style of football."

One thing that might help Roethlisberger running is putting on more weight. He lost around 15 pounds after his motorcycle accident in June and Cowher has encouraged him to put a few pounds back on.

"We've talked about it," said Cowher. "I am encouraging him to make sure he eats snacks at night."

Roethlisberger knows that the Steelers are better than their 1-2 record. He knows that it isn't time to panic, that things can and will turn around.

"People look at it like we're sliding backwards and I don't think so," said Roethlisberger. "We've got some ways to go, but I think we're making progress. Offensively, we will come around, because our defense is playing great right now. I feel that we let them down. We won't let that happen again."

Seems that we're taking good advantage of the bye week to get refocused and get back to basics. Im looking forward to seeing how we do next weekend !!

I agree. I think the bye week is coming at a perfect time for us and the situation we are in now. I can't wait til San Diego- I really think we will see the Steelers from last year!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

House of Steel
    Sounds encouraging and promising. I hope and pray we get back to form like last season and tear up this league and prove we are the Defending World Champions.

A QB that takes off every now and then keeps the defense guessing "is he going to run is he going to pass"? This will help Ben out in the long run and will help him do what he does best, avoid the rush get outside the pocket and make a big play and if the D thinks he's going to run then coverage will break down and Ben can throw it down field. He has definitely been forcing the issue way to much and is trying to rely on his arm; It could have something to do with being afraid of getting hit

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That was a big thing for Ben last year and ever since he came into the league. He may not be the fastest QB there, but he's got good feet and the threat of taking off and running is something you have to account for and something that really helps take some pressure off him knowing he can sneak or make a designed roll out keeper and get a first down in crucial situations.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Just as long Ben stop throwing to the wrong jerseys then we will be fine. The Jags game was a wash. It was Ben's first game back so I expected a loss. But we should have beat the Bengals and those games leave a sour taste in your mouth. I'm still a Big Ben fan and have been since he was in college. But no more excuses Ben its time for you to step it up and I think he will.

His history is playing bad after injury, he'll be fine. About him throwing to the other jersey, i was watching replay of the game on NFL net and they showed the one where he bombed it and fell over after stepping on smiths foot, and it was actually a good decision...ward brought up the safety and wilson was one on one and had he not stepped on smiths foot wilson wouldve been wide open. the last second one in the endzone it happens.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
    His history is playing bad after injury, he'll be fine. About him throwing to the other jersey, i was watching replay of the game on NFL net and they showed the one where he bombed it and fell over after stepping on smiths foot, and it was actually a good decision...ward brought up the safety and wilson was one on one and had he not stepped on smiths foot wilson wouldve been wide open. the last second one in the endzone it happens.
    I agree the last one it happens. But his first two I take serious issue with. The first I don't know what the hell happened. I know it was brought up that Miller was held and . But that was a terrible throw. The second one I know I seen Ben step on Smith's foot. But he was also throwing into the wind if I remember correctly. I might be wrong on that. But the bottom line we are only going as far as Big Ben takes us. He must play better for us to make the playoffs for us to have the chance to defend our title.

Im not gonna look into it to much because ben doesnt typically throw picks, and lets be hoest...he hasnt been 100%, so the picks will come down when he gets healthy...like around...i dont know, mabey SAN DIEGO.

Thread Information